The eighties Restricted zone....

Leepee

What is the car population in the 1980's?

I am under the impression that the number of cars increased greatly only in the last few years.

Is the road in the 80's ALREADY as crowded as now?

Was Restricted Zone really required for CBD area in the 80's at all?

I know its a foregone question to ask in 2008, but I have this impression that the road congestion were surelt be at least HALF as jammed on the road in 1980's compared to currently.

Anyone can recall those 80's road conditions?

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

definitely a lot less cars on the road. Don't ever recall ever being in a traffic jam then. My dad's car had a small fan under the dashboard [thumbsup] because no aircon haha

• Praise 1

Hi

During my primay and sec school days, I ride a bicycle to school from 1988 to 1993. Traffic was much lesser at that time.

Now, i wouldnt ride a bicycle on the road for safety reason.

• Praise 1

If there were lesser cars then, then how was it able to justify to charge $$$ to enter Restricted zones?

Also population in the 80s are lower with lesser FT, so human traffic should also be lesser in the CBD.

I think also lesser redlights/crossing junctions for humans to walk, so traffic should be smoother.

So where does the 80s traffic jam comes about?

Maybe there are lesser and narrower roads in the CBD in the 80s?

wah lao... dun compare 80's lah, just take 5 yrs ago to compare. Last time, I travel from Yishun to Kepple Rd, took me 30 to 35 mins mins using Thomson> Lornie> Ferrer> Queensway> Alaxandra> Lower Delta,

Now, I spend 1 to 1.05 hrs using the same route.... same timing can u imagine what kind of traffic increament r we talking about?

Don't hav 2 go so far back. When i bought my 1st ka in 2005, i could easily find a spot in estate in level 3 even after 9pm. Now, @ least have 2 got level 5 & 6.

Neutral Newbie

indeed the car population has increased tremendously since the 80s, as of cos so has our SG population - with many FTs, immigrants...

last time enter CBD must buy coupon from booths just outside CBD area. then put on windscreen area for display. An warden will be stationed at road side using the manual eyes to catch those w/o coupon. So everything is manual but strangely, it's still doesn't jam the CBD roads when cars stop to buy coupons to enter CBD...

Now with ERP, roads are jammed everywhere...

↡ Advertisement