Longest distance on free gear

Dumb

What is the longest distance your car have travelled on free gear, if you ever do that?

The longest that I have let my car rolled on free gear, without touching the accelerator, was between 8 and 10 km on the karak hwy from genting direction on many ocassions. In Sg at most I could get was no more than 2 km down BS bridge to fort road.

Have done that on my manual as well as my auto cars. Dont worry about all that talk of spoiling the gear transmission if you are not using your car till scraped. My last 2 cars was 135,000 km and 129,000 km when I changed them near the 5th year with no problems.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

maybe you can share oso wat the speed of ur car, when u let go off the accelerator totally, starting on the free rolling... [:)]

i do free gear frequently oso, but nv did i think of monitoring the distance.

will do so when i have the chance. [;)]

nowadays petrol expensive ahz... need to do anything that is possible and safe oso. [laugh]

Edited by Espire

free wheeling is definitely NOT safe. if your wheels start to travel at different speeds, it's not funny. and who knows you might need the power from the engine immediately to avoid a freak accident?

apply engine brake. it's doesn't consume as much fuel when you are "decelerating" as compared to when your foot is on the accelerator. when the car is doing an engine brake, the internals are actually moved by the inertia of the car and not by burning fuel. modern cars should cut fuel in such situations and the engine will not be burning fuel.

don't risk your own life or the lives of others just because you want to save a few more dollars... if the $ituation is that bad, please consider other modes of transport. [drivingcar]

(edited)

i am puzzled.

this is very mechanical.

according to newton law.

the car is going forward, inertia force is in the same direction of the traveling direction.

engine brake is force in the opposing direction.

how can fuel not being burned to create the opposing force.

[:/]

i am not saying free wheeling is 100% safe, but jus puzzled at ur claim.

no offence. [;)]

i personally feel free wheeling is safe at perfect straight road with light traffic.

its definitely a no-no for bends and turns. [nod]

Edited by Espire

no probs bro, we are all here to share.

it too me a while to get my head around the concept too.

firstly, it's not simple linear forces, as we all know there are many forces acting against a car.

you are right when you say inertia is in the same direction of travel. but engine brake is not exactly a physical brake you apply like your foot or hand brakes. it's actually just a term used to describe the situation when the engine is actually creating a force against the drivetrain.

of course you must understand that an engine is basically a bay of gas chambers. when you introduce petrol and spark, it "explodes" creating a force against the piston which in turn will turn the crankshaft and then the drivetrain.

when you "apply" engine brake, the pistons are still moving, still compressing the air. that's your resistance for you.

hope that makes sense to you...

freewheeling is unsafe by any means. straight roads or not. if you do not have power when you need it, you are screwed. then again, who am i to tell anyone not to do it... i'm just sharing the facts.

Turbocharged
maybe you can share oso wat the speed of ur car, when u let go off the accelerator totally, starting on the free rolling... Smile

i do free gear frequently oso, but nv did i think of monitoring the distance.

will do so when i have the chance. Wink

nowadays petrol expensive ahz... need to do anything that is possible and safe oso. Laugh

Tried that before and monitored the FC accordingly.

No significant savings on fuel.

Neutral Newbie

pls advise on your claim of rolling for 8 - 10 km... are u sure it is km u are talking about???

Continuous 8 km rolling is virtually impossible...

What is the longest distance your car have travelled on free gear, if you ever do that?

I could get was no more than 2 km down BS bridge to fort road.

You must be Driving at least 120km/h to 150km, Then Free gear [sly]

Neutral Newbie

IF some joker clips you from the side or rear end you. ...........can change your profession to selling salted egg liao

Supercharged

you are using more fuel as engine will be using fuel at idle-rate, while keep in gear will use zero as fuel is cut off.

unless you are driving ancient car w/o such a feature.

the great joker of all is the thread starter. free wheeling for 8km...?

pose a danger to all. that's why people lose their lives unnecessary.

you are using more fuel as engine will be using fuel at idle-rate, while keep in gear will use zero as fuel is cut off.

------------------------------------------------

[hur][hur][hur][dizzy][dizzy][dizzy]

I could get was no more than 2 km down BS bridge to fort road.

You must be Driving at least 120km/h to 150km, Then Free gear [sly]

Depending on the traffic, just let go at about 80 or 90 when you near the top. But now you cant cause there is a camera.

pls advise on your claim of rolling for 8 - 10 km... are u sure it is km u are talking about???

Of course no way in Sg.

Neutral Newbie

why not impossible?? i have tried travel for more than 10km continuous without engaging any gear. Of coz! i done it when there is little cars. But to be honest, my speed is fast. so i am able to do continuous.

what are u trying to prove here?

insane fella! [hur]

trying to prove that u're smarter den others or are u jus a miser on petrol costs? [thumbsdown]

spare a thought for other's road users safety can? [rifle]

when ur speed is very fast...

so is the wind drag on ur car...

see the point?

there will be a neutral equilibrium.

if it had been a free fall... that term is called terminal velocity.

↡ Advertisement