Serial traffic offender

Ccssgm

S'pore man keeps driving into trouble

Serial traffic offender jailed for two weeks

HE has been sentenced to jail for a traffic offence.

If you think that's a bit harsh, look at his record.

This man is a serial traffic offender.

Despite being repeatedly caught and punished, Lum Chan Meng was at it again.

He was once again driving a vehicle without valid insurance, without a valid licence.

And this time, the court decided he should go to jail.

Lum, 42, was stopped during a routine check along Choa Chu Kang Street 52 last December.

A police officer, Sgt Ramli Yusoff, while attending to a case of illegal parking, stopped Lum's vehicle and asked him for his driving licence, which he was unable to produce.

Sgt Ramli also discovered that Lum did not possess a Class 3 driving licence.

Lum pleaded guilty to two charges, according to court papers obtained by The New Paper.

One was driving a motor lorry without a valid Class 3 driving licence under Section 35 (1 & 3) of the Road Traffic Act.

The maximum penalty for a first offender is a $1,000 fine or three months' jail.

A repeat offender can be fined up to $2,000 or jailed for up to six months.

SENTENCING

The other charge was using a vehicle without a valid policy of insurance under the same act which carries a fine up to $1,000 or jail up to three months or both.

Lum was sentenced to two weeks' jail and a fine of $2,000, or a further 10 days' jail in default, in April this year.

He was also disqualified from holding or obtaining a licence for all classes for four years.

In his mitigation, Lum asked for a six-week deferment of the jail sentence to complete outstanding work.

The prosecution objected that it was too long an adjournment.

In sentencing, District Judge Salina Ishak said the offence of driving without a valid licence is a serious issue for road safety.

Unlicensed and uninsured drivers are also significantly more likely to be involved in road crashes and to disregard other road laws.

Said the judge: 'It is therefore imperative that only a qualified person who has passed his driving test and holds a valid driving licence is allowed to drive on our roads.

'If there are unqualified drivers on our roads, road safety of all road users will be seriously compromised.'

With regards to driving without a valid insurance, the judge said the norm for a first offender is usually a fine unless there are aggravating circumstances.

Added the judge: 'In the present case, the accused has two prior convictions for the same offence and was last fined the maximum fine of $1,000.

'In the light of his antecedent, I was of the view that the custodial threshold had been crossed and the appropriate sentence in the circumstances of the case is a sentence of two weeks' imprisonment.'

Lum is appealing against the sentence and is on bail.

[furious][furious]

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

this guy suay..

knew of one guy who also drove his van w/o license consistently and never get caught.. got trick one.. sly.gif

This is very serious!!! This guy think this is MY or wat [hur]

Can't imagine he hit other property or worse kill someone. Insurance pay? Which insurance?

He dont have licence nor insurance

it's very likely he would do it again after he get's released.

what i wonder is how the TP knew to stop him and check his liscence ? [hur]

You so hiong ... [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

But these people really [thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

Boh licence still wanna drive ... [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

Later kena into accidents involving lives ... How??? [whip][whip][whip]

This is very serious!!! This guy think this is MY or wat [hur]

Can't imagine he hit other property or worse kill someone. Insurance pay? Which insurance?

He dont have licence nor insurance

I think he's not the only one around in SG. Unless the law requires the traffic offender to cut of his limbs to permanently ban him from driving, he can still drive. Who can stop him?

On the other hand, most likely his day job is doing delivery and at this age it's the only thing he's good at. Driving ban is effectively breaking his rice bowl and financial support for his family(if any). He dun have a lot of options in his hands.

Turbocharged

actually hor, i find this remark not appropriate.. it's some kind of assumption leh....

Unlicensed and uninsured drivers are also significantly more likely to be involved in road crashes and to disregard other road laws.

base on what?? experience or any history statistics to prove that???. does data collected from those who crashed and wrapped around a trees mostly without valid lisence??..

everyday has car accident and how many of it are from drivers without valid lisence?? not that i agree with driving without license but i wont jump in a say he is a dangerous driver comparing with many dangerous drivers with valid lisence on the road since i have not seen him driving before...... [:p]

Lum, 42, was stopped during a routine check along Choa Chu Kang Street 52 last December.

A police officer, Sgt Ramli Yusoff, while attending to a case of illegal parking, stopped Lum's vehicle and asked him for his driving licence, which he was unable to produce.

I don't know whether is he the ILLEGAL parker or not.

But his luck is suay.

Or if you look at the other Positive point of view, he may be so Rampant in his illegal driving/parking that he was ONLY lucky to be caught Twice so far!

↡ Advertisement