Nokia launches new phones, vows to stay number one

Ccssgm

SINGAPORE, June 17, 2008 (AFP) - Finnish telecom giant Nokia has launched two new email-capable handsets for business users and vowed to defend its position as the world's leading mobile phone maker.

Nokia said the E71 and E66 were pre-loaded with Microsoft's popular email programme and would cater to business professionals who wanted easy and instant access to their messages.

"With the E series, we want to serve people who are passionate about their work," said Chris Carr, Nokia's vice president for regional sales, at a launch in Singapore late Monday.

The two phones would be available in July and support email accounts from key Internet service providers such Yahoo! and Google's Gmail, the firm said.

It said there were an estimated 1.5 billion email users globally and that there were set to be four billion mobile users by the end of 2009.

"We have grown our share with the broadest portfolio of devices in the industry... Nokia remains the undisputed leader and it is a leadership mantle we will not relinquish," Carr said.

The business mobile sector is currently dominated by Canada's Research in Motion, maker of the BlackBerry smart phone combining a mobile phone and personal digital assistant (PDA).

The BlackBerry allows users to browse the Internet, use e-mail and make calls and has proven a big hit with business executives worldwide.

Apple is also taking aim at the corporate market with the launch of its touch-screen-activated 3G iPhone, which will come with faster Internet access and more features for business users than its initial iPhone.

South Korea's Samsung on Monday unveiled its latest smart phone, a touch-screen model to be commercially launched in Southeast Asia this week.

The Samsung and Nokia launches came on the eve of CommunicAsia. The event is billed as the region's leading information and communications technology conference and exhibition and began Tuesday in Singapore.

R U Interested ? [rolleyes][rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement

My opinion is that Nokia is loosing its market share rapidly. Look at their recent phones and compare them to either SE or the Korean counterparts. Nokia phones and the designs are really pathetic. Worst is their servicing standard in Singapore. Sold my CO's 6500 slide after 5 months of usage. Full of problems and even some 2nd hand mobile kiosks refused to buy them.

Hiaz, time to wakeup for Nokia. Should change the name to

Turbocharged

i tink more ppl r avoiding nokia nowadays.SE n samsung r catching up.jus read up on samsung latest offering - samsung OMNIA.looks very promising.n nice design also.costs abt $1k w/o contract.if got enuf dough mayb will get dat.after reading a lot of cases abt nokia being faulty n de service ctrs inefficiency, i tink i wont go back to nokia.

Last night chinese news it was reported that certain Nokia model/s cannot use the hp while charging. Battery might rifle.gif

Yup, can count me as 1 more statistic who has given up on them..

"With the E series, we want to serve people who are passionate about their work," said Chris Carr, Nokia's vice president for regional sales, at a launch in Singapore late Monday.

What a load of bull

I'm an E90 user myself and its wonderful Only if it is working.....

Their phone standards has gone down considerably ever since they hit the peak where most people possess their phones... Guess complacency has set it much like the MIWs...

i tink more ppl r avoiding nokia nowadays.SE n samsung r catching up.jus read up on samsung latest offering - samsung OMNIA.looks very promising.n nice design also.costs abt $1k w/o contract.if got enuf dough mayb will get dat.after reading a lot of cases abt nokia being faulty n de service ctrs inefficiency, i tink i wont go back to nokia.

Sometime Us to it. Actually Nokia phone is more friendly User[rolleyes][rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

6500 is like a cheap version of the N95.

If must hav nokia, go for the upcoming N96. its a better one, 16gb.

hmmm so far all my nokia phone have serve me well.

from N3210 to N8310 to N6510 to N6100 to N6600 to my current E90

all dont have any problems and is reliable as hell.

The only time it hang on me is cause i itchy hand try out new software on the symbian60 phones.

Now my current E90 didn't even hang on me once. and up till now i have not restart my phone at all ... compared to my previous XDA 2s, the phone have more hanging issue (window OS [:|]).

Now my family members have become fan of nokia phone. Last time they were all using sony erricson phone.

My next phone would definately be a nokia again. [thumbsup]

My opinion is that Nokia is loosing its market share rapidly. Look at their recent phones and compare them to either SE or the Korean counterparts. Nokia phones and the designs are really pathetic. Worst is their servicing standard in Singapore. Sold my CO's 6500 slide after 5 months of usage. Full of problems and even some 2nd hand mobile kiosks refused to buy them.

Hiaz, time to wakeup for Nokia. Should change the name to

N6500S Hang on the !st day I brought

Later send to Nokia Svs Centre,they do a software Upgrade

Use till Now OK [sweatdrop]

have give up nokia since 2006. their earlier model like 3210, 8250, 3650 & etc are great handset. break on floor also nothing happen...

but when i 1st tried their N80, followed by their E65, i curse and swear.... send for repair, and repair and repair... yet problem cannot be solved. Especially the E65. The phone can turn off/ hang without any warning... miss a several important calls from my client and boss and almost loss my job becos of this phone.

Send to nokia care centre for 7 times! the petrol + annualleave + carpark itself is already more than the phone itself! change mother board and the whole handset also cannot solved the problem. Was so pissed and make a big complain at nokia care centre and they finally agree to replace a 6230i for me. A simple phone running with S40 OS. very stable but the phone is so simple that i dun undestand why am i paying almost $400 for such simple phone...

I swear to myself not to buy any Nokia in my life!

↡ Advertisement