Minister Mah says cutting petrol taxes not the way to cushion rising oil prices

Route88

Minister Mah says cutting petrol taxes not the way to cushion rising oil prices

Posted: 21 June 2008 2024 hrs

SINGAPORE: National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan has said the government cannot reduce petrol taxes despite the soaring oil prices.

He warned against taking the subsidy route, noting that even countries like China and Malaysia have started to re-think their policies on this.

Mr Mah was speaking on the sidelines of a community event on Saturday.

As pump prices here continue to rise, some Singaporeans are wondering why the government is not stepping in to cushion the impact by cutting petrol taxes.

The government has always maintained that petrol duty - currently about 40 cents for every litre - is meant to promote public transport and curb excessive use of cars.

Mr Mah said: "If you price it wrongly, if you subsidise anything, people will tend to use it more or people will tend not to use it as efficiently as possible and that is going to raise the demand. Once you raise the demand, I think that is in turn going to cause prices to go up even higher."

So instead of lowering taxes, Mr Mah said Singapore's strategy is to change habits and attitudes to cut down on energy consumption.

"If you are a motorist, how do you cut down (energy consumption)? Reduce the number of trips, if possible. Car pool, if possible. Better still, take public transport," he said.

Mr Mah was speaking to reporters on the sidelines of a dialogue session with Tampines residents.

To help reduce energy costs at the township level, he said, the Tampines Town Council is looking at replacing all lights in common areas with energy-saving ones.

The chit-chat session was instituted two years ago as a way for Mr Mah, who is the Tampines Grassroots Organisation adviser, to meet residents in a more informal and smaller setting.

Hence, a lot of municipal issues were raised, one of which was the issue of safety in the light of the recent spate of molest cases in the neighbourhood. To address this, Mr Mah said the town council will seriously look into installing CCTV cameras in blind spots and secluded areas around the neighbourhood. - CNA/ir

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../355547/1/.html

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

the gahment is alwasy finding ways to cut subsidies...wanna ask them to provide subsidies? have to wait till the sun comes up from the north

Edited by Rncw

(edited)

should be west [laugh]

anyway, later give you $0.10 and collect back $1 then lagi jialat ! [laugh]

the gahment is alwasy finding ways to cut subsidies...wanna ask them to provide subsidies? have to wait till the sun comes up from the north
Edited by Wt_know

"If you are a motorist, how do you cut down (energy consumption)? Reduce the number of trips, if possible. Car pool, if possible. Better still, take public transport," he said.

Talk is cheap, please set an good example by taking public transport and not to ask grassroot leaders to reserve carpark lots during the 'wise' speech event.

Supercharged

Where got ask them to provide subsidy? We're simply asking them to earn less money by reducing petrol taxes.. [shakehead]

ask our ministers to car pool lor..ask the PM, SM, MM and president car pool lor or take public transport...if they expect the people to carpool...then lead by example...not only for one day hor!!!

(edited)

Either he has redefine the word subsidy, or he genuinely doesn't know the true economic term, just like how he explained for housing board flats.

Edited by Siewss

(edited)

when I read his reply to question on petrol tax it only make my blood boil

maintain 40% tax to maintain car population

then why on earth increased the number of COE prior to election

Even countries like Malaysia and CHina have remove their subsidy

what on earth he is talking about, to begin with singapore has never had any form of subsidy for petrol INSTEAD tax tax added to it only

cut down energy consumption take public transport

have you seen malboro man taking bus or mrt to work

There are many ways to reduce the usage of private vehicles on the road without penalizing user by making them pay

if there is credible public transport system that is reasonably price and well linked

NOT created just for profit

many would give up driving

china have no ERP but instead allow odd and even car number plates to go into the city on alternate days

This Malboro mn dont have to wear cowboy jeans to advertise to earn his millions of dollars every year

I am really dissappointed

Edited by Hishercar

Talk so much, just lead by example.

Regards,

the inflation does not hurt anyone sitting in the parliament debating on whether to help the people with their livelihood...

Neutral Newbie
Make your stance in 2010 ba.. The ticket you're holding is power.. [whip]
we cant complain,remember the 66 pecent wanted them to tax us ..or else why voted them in lol..we love to be screwed.

Neutral Newbie

I am 32 this year, but so far never got chance to vote before. My neighbourhood always kena walk over.

I live in Jurong west st 61, but my neighbourhood GRC belongs to West coast, which is damn far away. My father lives in Jurong West st 64, just 10 min walking distance from my place. But his GRC is Bukit Timah damn funny.

I was wondering, can I go to police station to change my address to Hougang or Yishun during the G.E so that I got chance to vote against them??

Turbocharged
"...He warned against taking the subsidy route, noting that even countries like China and Malaysia have started to re-think their policies on this."

In other countries, when the subsidy is reduced, riots become common.

I can't imagine if their fuels are taxed.

Over here, we are not talking about subsidy. Fuel is taxed instead.

Reduction in fuel tax is not a subsidy.

Thank you Sir Mah, I believe in leading by example.

Oh wait, his car is bought using public fund. That's public transport. Damn!!!

↡ Advertisement