The new Citroen C5 is out

Firstcall

4 speed... we are already nearing the end of 2008, and VW already having 7speed dual clutch transmission system on their bread and butter model.

↡ Advertisement

at least it's CnC.. better than before.. (I hope) [:/]

i wish i can agree with that statement

but having experienced the previous agent

its like two slices of bread

so which side of the bread do you have the butter?

but I presume it's more stable in the long run for car owner rather than have one whereby the agent don't last..

Seat shd be one if I'm not wrong..

so is Rover if Trans Eurokar didn't take up the tast

Neutral Newbie

Saw a blue color new C5 unloaded at Leng Kee Road on 22nd Jul. About time to see [cool] cars in the C&C showroom and [drivingcar]

eh.. don't need the hazard to be right in front right?

but looking at the location, it's actually quite good.. ideal location as it's just one straight arm length away

Citroen is known for their magic carpet ride and the C5 with the Hydra active suspension rides better than a top of the range Jaguar. Handling not the best in class and the Peugeot 407 using steel suspension performs better. Both made in same factory but the C5 is much higher quality.

Yes they have a lousy gearbox for the 2.0l (French made AL4), engine is is little old but smooth and torquey. The 3.0l V6 is another France national car project (just like the AL4 gearbox)but this time the have matched it with a Japanese Aisin 6 speed autobox. Same box used by the VW Passat. All things considered, quite a good value proposition at around $108K for the 2.0l (OMV 30K +-)

The ride is comfy enough but the steering is terrible...hated it...feel it's too light but maybe because I'm too used to my current steering. Response is not good enough for the 3L engine which I tested.

Hi,

Seriously considering the C5. Normal driver, doesn't really go for sporty stuff. So what is the verdict for this car? Reliability issue, expensive part and etc? Hope you can share the experience especially current and previous Citroen owners. Thanks in advance.

agree... it's a geek car.. guess not many s'porean are keen to try things out.. they still prefer their no frills japz car..

I shall reprhase...its a geekishly stylish car.

Hi,

Seriously considering the C5. Normal driver, doesn't really go for sporty stuff. So what is the verdict for this car? Reliability issue, expensive part and etc? Hope you can share the experience especially current and previous Citroen owners. Thanks in advance.

Between C5 and Laguna at 2.0L segement, the later is better equipped and come with better engine performance. Bigger and cheaper too. Brand wise, IMHO Renault commands better recognition.

Regards,

I prefer the look of C5 over Laguna. C5 cabin has a more executive feel and if one is not particular about performance and just cruise around all day, this is a good car to own.

...and honestly, neither one of the 2 brands command brand premium, so, go with whichever you like more, that's more practical, at least you feel happy driving the car daily and not worry about resale or perceived brand value. If brand is important, go for BMW or Merc, confirmed good.

Edited by Rm2s

Hi,

Our family had the first gen of C5 in 3.0L V6 version. We had it for 3 years between 2002~2005. The hydraulic suspension impresses me most cos the car can be driven with 3 wheels with four adults in it(saw it on demo by previous AD). That means if one of your tires suddenly give way, you won't loose control and hit a tree.

It has all the gadgets available since it's the top range. Rain sensor(auto close your windows and sunroof if opened when raining, also control the wiper speed), Bi-xenon, auto headlights, headlights washers, tire pressure sensor, dual zone auto air-con, sunroof, built-in phone in factory fitted HU etc etc. These things at first quite fun but after a while they start to annoy you when they have problems.

The V6 is smooth and very fuel efficient. I had achieved nearly 13km/l before(it has an onboard calculator) on light footed driving. Weighs around 1.5 tons(new one 1.7 tons) but got auto suspension leveling system to help FC. The V6 is not exactly "V", more like a straight six or "narrow V" six. A small unit. Consumes only 4L of engine oil. The current engine is still the same as previous C5s giving the same power.

0-100 is a slow 9 sec at best. Plenty of airbags and safety features. "Sports" mode for the suspension is hardly felt. It had a 4-speed tiptornic gearbox(new one got 6 speed). But the suspension left untouched is very comfy and you can go thru humps at slightly higher speeds dan most cars. You can't push it hard I know cos I blew the alternator and gearbox on the third year of ownership. Sian, have to change car.

I think this newest C5 had its problems sorted out or it should have by now. Parts I'm not sure ex or not cos all covered by warranty but I'm sure when it's under the current AD it's surely ex. I remember going to the AD to sort things out many times. If you say lemon, I have nothing to say cos my dad's two other friends bought the same car at the same time with us. We face the same issues. One thing for sure the car must be driven gentlely.

It's on par with the more popular German cars, only if the French puts in more effort in the quality and reliability.

Edited by Watwheels

Hi,

I dunno whether it still uses the Multiplex system which feedback all the problems if any on the centre console display. It can be very annoying cos it will pick up the slightest of problems. For me I find that it can spoil the driving experience.

I dunno whether it still uses the Multiplex system which feedback all the problems if any on the centre console display. It can be very annoying cos it will pick up the slightest of problems. For me I find that it can spoil the driving experience.

Watwheels, thanks for sharing. Yes, they still have the multiplex. BTW the 3 wheels driving only true for either rear tyres.