The new Citroen C5 is out

Firstcall

There are 2 "national" car projects the French auto industry did many years back. One was a gearbox ..... the "AL" Series and widely used by PSA and Renualt (i.e. the AL4 gearbox that is being referred to here). the second was a V6 3L engine. Both weren't that great. The 2L PSA engine has quite good torque so don't dismiss it by just the hp rating.

the 6 sd regular auto box used by most cars French cars are supplied by Aisen (Japanese). VW uses it too on their Passat.

Edited by Frenchchic
↡ Advertisement

Citroen is known for their magic carpet ride and the C5 with the Hydra active suspension rides better than a top of the range Jaguar. Handling not the best in class and the Peugeot 407 using steel suspension performs better. Both made in same factory but the C5 is much higher quality.

Yes they have a lousy gearbox for the 2.0l (French made AL4), engine is is little old but smooth and torquey. The 3.0l V6 is another France national car project (just like the AL4 gearbox)but this time the have matched it with a Japanese Aisin 6 speed autobox. Same box used by the VW Passat. All things considered, quite a good value proposition at around $108K for the 2.0l (OMV 30K +-)

Yazp, Citroen is known for its on-demand hydra-active suspension not usually seen in the same class. How I wish this is present in the Renault Laguna. IMHO, comparing Renault Laugna and Citroen C5, the former is a better buy if look is not a major concern. The former has better power ratio and it also costs less. In term of branding, Renault has a stronger appeal.

Regards,

Yazp, Citroen is known for its on-demand hydra-active suspension not usually seen in the same class. How I wish this is present in the Renault Laguna. IMHO, comparing Renault Laugna and Citroen C5, the former is a better buy if look is not a major concern. The former has better power ratio and it also costs less. In term of branding, Renault has a stronger appeal.

Regards,

really? no VTEC wor = bo power [lipsrsealed]

Neutral Newbie

I just booked a 3.0i V6. Stepping down in performance from a 6 yo Saab 9-5 Aero. Wonder if there is any market for the Aero...

Neutral Newbie

Yes, I thought so too. The Citroen agent has agreed to take my Saab in at its current paper value, even though delivery of my ride is around end-September.

Edited by Digitus

Neutral Newbie

I checked with a friend who knows. In terms of actual owner cars I'm #3! :D

Incidentally that friend took delivery of his C5 yesterday, along with three other friends who also bought C5's So 4 new ones on the road in one day! He's also the person who persuaded me to take a look at the C5 when I had no intention to. Only had the usual (expensive) suspects on my hit list. It took me about 4 hours and two test drives (one with my father) to make my decision. :D

Neutral Newbie

The only flat spot was the 3.0l V6 engine. Such modest performance out of it when other manufacturers can get more. There are ways to improve things of course. [lipsrsealed]

↡ Advertisement