Petrol Leaked after full top-up, then 1-2 mins later after cap replaced.

Ben123

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Need some urgent help here.

I have never encountered this before. Just topped up my tank an hour ago by a pump attendant. He alerted me to petrol gushing out from bottom of tank. I took a peep and indeed I could see petrol flowing out, mind you not dripping ok. It stopping flowing/leaking after about 1-2 mins. I took at a look at the meter and it says 60 litres. There is no sign of overflowing from the top-up point. Knowing the tank capacity is 55 l or so, I only expected the overflow if any, to come from the top-up point if indeed it is over-topping.

Has anyone encounter this before?

Most people I asked said it should not happen. Some say there is an overflow line built-in the tank. I am very concerned about this problem. Can anyone shed some light into this?

Thanks

↡ Advertisement

What car is it?

How much fuel was in the tank before you started to fill it?

If the meter says you added 60 litres and your tank capacity is 55, the amount spilled must be at least 6 litres if you did not push you car into the petrol station (at least 1 litre is at the bottom of the tank that cannot be used).

If your reserve light was not on (reserve normally comes on with about 5-7 litres to go), then at least 10 litres was spilt on the ground.

10 litres can cover quite a large patch.

Try to duplicate the problem - the safest place is at the petrol station unless you want to drive to a fire station to try this.

That will help you find out at which level the petrol starts to leak out.

Maybe the leak is only when you fill above a certain level, in which case for the time being you can fill to below that point until the car is fixed.

(edited)

If you notice from your filling cap area, there is a little opening which is used to directing the overflow of the petrol [nod][nod][nod]

I think the pump attendent over filled your tank [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

To pump 60 Ltrs into a 55 Ltrs tank would definately cause a large amount of petrol being over-spilled [nod][nod][nod]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

if its coming out from the bottom, there must be some leak somewhere. better to send yr car to the authorised dealer to check the integrity of yr tank

Neutral Newbie

It was definitely a painful ($$$) experience. My car is Honda Stream 1.8A. Called back the station and told the supervisor not to encourage such over-zealous habit (top-up so fully) by the attendant. It was a lot of fuel wastage and not to mention the hazardous situation it created for all nearby.

I came to this conclusion. There is no leak from the tank. It was a case of filling up almost to the brim at the top-up point. Even though there was no spillage from the top-up point as insisted by the pump attendant. Once the fuel cap was tightened, the excess fuel was directed thru the little opening leading to spillage. Is this correct conclusion? Hope I do not have to send my car for fuel tank inspection.

It is up to you to think what happened and then come to some conclusion, rather than confirm it through actual testing and observation.

Even if the pump attendant manually squeezed the trigger of the pump, it will still have a shut-off feature. Either the shut-off feature is faulty, or the pump attendant really took extra effort to override the shut-off by carefully pumping in the extra to the point of overflow. That takes deliberate effort.

It is up to you to see if you can duplicate the problem and confirm if there is or is not a problem for your own peace of mind. If indeed there is a leak that occurs after petrol reaches a certain level (maybe the tank is cracked at a certain point), no amount of wishful thinking will cure it.

It is much easier for you to imagine that the scenario you painted was actually what happened, rather than make the effort to test the possibility that your tank has a leak.

It is easier for you not to care that your car has a leaking petrol tank and wish away any possible problem. Maybe you don't park in your own car port and can't be bothered if a puddle of petrol collects under your car, becoming a hazard to your life while you sleep if your car catches fire and burns your house down.

Hi, I have no clue why you face this problem. I do no think this is anywhere near normal, you better go to a mechanic to check this issue.

It is serious and can be a hazard not just for youself but also others. This may be a car forum and we might have many varied expriences but I think your problem is better left to be answered by a professional, I think it might not be the fault of the pump attendant.

To be on the safe side, go to a proper mechanic well versed in your car or back to the AD if you bought from Kah Motors and make sure they do a proper check.

(edited)

I came to this conclusion. There is no leak from the tank. It was a case of filling up almost to the brim at the top-up point. Even though there was no spillage from the top-up point as insisted by the pump attendant. Once the fuel cap was tightened, the excess fuel was directed thru the little opening leading to spillage. Is this correct conclusion? Hope I do not have to send my car for fuel tank inspection.

Yup Bro [nod][nod][nod]

Check again today to see if there are any leakage [nod][nod][nod]

If you still worry, send it for a professional check [;)]

The best way is to pump yourself like what i always did [;)]

Edited by Mzrmazda3

Neutral Newbie

relax.. no need to panic.. there is normally a spillage outlet for excess petrol to drain. dun ask me why cos i had this experience when i was driving a 1990 march... I had anther 2 frens same car also had this problem.

During then used to frequent jaybee, so pump petrol to the MAX. til people tell me that my car leaking petrol. After that i never pump to the brim, pump til the senosor cut, round of to the next $$ or so enough.

hi,

dont be too concern, i doubt the wastage is 10L. 10L is like 7 bottles of 1.5L coke, thats alot.

u have to tell us, when u pump, how long were u on reserve, meaning lights up, with needle already below the 1st stroke of E

even if ur tank is 55L, high chance you be able to pump till 59 L or so. that is if ur tank is super dry, my friend did it on his altis.

he tahan until jb until damn dry, n manage to squeeze 59L into his 55L tank.

i believe manufacturer do give some buffer on the tank size, and you need to cater some allowance for the pipings or so.

if ur tank is not leaking petrol, after 1-2mins, dont be too concern.

Hi,

Need some urgent help here.

I have never encountered this before. Just topped up my tank an hour ago by a pump attendant. He alerted me to petrol gushing out from bottom of tank. I took a peep and indeed I could see petrol flowing out, mind you not dripping ok. It stopping flowing/leaking after about 1-2 mins. I took at a look at the meter and it says 60 litres. There is no sign of overflowing from the top-up point. Knowing the tank capacity is 55 l or so, I only expected the overflow if any, to come from the top-up point if indeed it is over-topping.

Has anyone encounter this before?

Most people I asked said it should not happen. Some say there is an overflow line built-in the tank. I am very concerned about this problem. Can anyone shed some light into this?

Thanks

What car is it?

How much fuel was in the tank before you started to fill it?

If the meter says you added 60 litres and your tank capacity is 55, the amount spilled must be at least 6 litres if you did not push you car into the petrol station (at least 1 litre is at the bottom of the tank that cannot be used).

the tank is always more than the stated capacity, if one fills right to the brim.

i ever pumped more than my tank capacity before [sweatdrop]. no leakage whatsoever

↡ Advertisement