SoundProofing Shops

Coolpica

anybody interested to come out do together?

I believe you are planning to do the wheel arch? Let me know when, I'll see if I can popby.

I don't mind organising... but I m noob... dunno what stuff needed from where.... lol

Things needed:

1. Masking Tape, newspaper

2. Toolbox

3. Soundproofing material (Dynamat or something)

4. Rubber Spray as mentioned in this thread

Procedure

1. take out tyre

2. take out fender (wheel arch) cover above the tyre?

3. cut soundproof material to right size and put in

4. spray

5. Put back everything

Pls correct me if I m wrong, cos i guessing only. Also, my air intake is at the driver side wheel arch... if i put soundproof there... no idea what will happen.. I guess should be ok... since it is fully covered now by default anyway..

Neutral Newbie

I don't mind organising... but I m noob... dunno what stuff needed from where.... lol

Things needed:

2. Toolbox

Procedure

1. take out tyre

4. spray

5. Put back everything

Pls correct me if I m wrong, cos i guessing only. Also, my air intake is at the driver side wheel arch... if i put soundproof there... no idea what will happen.. I guess should be ok... since it is fully covered now by default anyway..

not going to be easy...

count me in if the group DIY is onz....:P

Don't think it's a good idea to put soundproofing mats on the underside of the wheel arch. If it falls off it will become a hazard. Wheel arch soundproofing can be done by spraying the arch with tar material.

Just did my front wheel arch spraying today, quite happy with the results. For rear wheel arch I did using soundproofing mats on the inside, DIY entire boot area, wheel arch, boot cover, 4 doors and under the rear seats.

From what I know, the wheel arch is held together by plastic screws (the type tat is not very strong). Adviseble to use heavy materials like dynamat? Will it be better to use foam type for the inside and jus 3m spray for the outside?

Things needed:

2. Toolbox

Procedure

1. take out tyre

4. spray

5. Put back everything

Wind,

Actually, you need not remove the tyre (too much work). Just turn the wheel to one side.

For those who dun like to get your hands dirty. Can wear plastic gloves.

From what I know, the wheel arch is held together by plastic screws (the type tat is not very strong). Adviseble to use heavy materials like dynamat? Will it be better to use foam type for the inside and jus 3m spray for the outside?

You should just paste the dynamat on the inner side wall of the fender and not on the plastic wheel arch. Instead, you can use the 3M spray on the plastic wheel arch.

Neutral Newbie

i've used the 3M 08883 spray on 4wheel fenders ( after removing the fenders )

and things can really get dirty. I suggest doing it a place accesible with water.

Also suggest washing up the fenders first. I actually went through the scrubbing process underneath to remove as much stains & dirts as possible. Allowed to dry & spray 2-3layers. Used up 3cans for the 4 fenders :) super thick.

i've used the 3M 08883 spray on 4wheel fenders ( after removing the fenders )

and things can really get dirty. I suggest doing it a place accesible with water.

Also suggest washing up the fenders first. I actually went through the scrubbing process underneath to remove as much stains & dirts as possible. Allowed to dry & spray 2-3layers. Used up 3cans for the 4 fenders :) super thick.

hi so how big is the difference.. i would like to do that same too if the result is not bad...

Personally, I feel that the tolerance of sound intruding into the car is very subjective from one to another. Can anyone tells me of any car/s that is/are so very well insulated that external sound and from the engine will not be heard.

Even for Lexus LS460 and higher models where the manufacturer claims that the internal cabin is absolutely silent to the extent that every orchestra instrument can be clearly heard, is this statement based on the car stationary or moving?

I have sat on a Rolls-Royce and Lexus LS600 and can still hear sound intruding into the cabin despite the door glass being double layered. It is simply impossible that a car be made absolutely silent.

I have never installed soundproofing for the internal of my cars. The only thing that I do is to send my cars to Tuffi-Coat to spray a layer of their bitumen on the car undercarriage. This forms 2 purposes, mainly for soundproofing and protecting the otherwise bare undercarriage from damages by stones, etc, on roads.

Though the smell is rather strong initially after spraying, it disappears very fast. I also do not use noisy and very low profile tyre because this is one of the contributing noise factors.

Take my Lancer CS3 for example, I only did the car undercarriage soundproof. Mechanics and friends who have driven my car found my car to be very quiet. When I talked to Tuffi-Coat on internal sound proofing, they told me frankly not to waste money. I mostly drive without turning on the ICE and yet I enjoy the sound of the engine whenever I accelerate.

Reason is that no matter what soundproofing is applied or laid, noise will still be audible in the car. Furthermore, these sound proofing layers also add more weight to the car.

I do not have bodykits except for a BMW lip spoiler. Instead of spending money on internal soundproofing, I use it for upgrading of the stock parts to performance ones. At least I could feel the instantaneous respond and kick when driving. My Lancer is like a

I think tuffcoat is only for rustproof. Soundclad (additional treatment) from the same company is the 1 improving the soundproofing. Try checking your rear windshield for the sticker indicating soundclad. I think it only comes automatically with earlier versions of Avante.