Aunty comprain ICA officer glued to sms, ZBL

Apollo

July 1, 2008 Fatigue? Officer with music earphones, texting away

I REFER to Dr Lim Boon Hee's letter last Thursday, 'Front-line staff fatigue?'

He advocated looking into intangibles such as work fatigue, work hours, impact of shift work and overwhelming workload. Well said, and I believe this will be covered by the internal audit that must surely be going on following Mas Selamat Kastari's escape.

However, I would like to recount a recent incident I witnessed at the Causeway immigration checkpoint on June 23, the same day the passport slip-up occurred at the Budget Terminal.

My husband and I were in our car in Lane 23 at about 1.25pm when we noticed the security officer who was supposed to be checking vehicles not only had earphones on, obviously listening to music or whatever, but was also busy texting away on his cellphone.

Needless to say, some cars got away without having their boots checked and those he did check were the ones whose drivers had stopped and opened their boot, without being told to do so. All this while, he was glued to his earphones and cellphone.

Had he worked unduly long hours before that? I don't think so because, before we noticed his behaviour, we saw some movements in his lane, after which two officers walked away. Perhaps he had just reported for duty.

Teo Guat Im (Mdm)

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Sto...ory_253350.html

warouz... listening to mp3 over long hours can also hv fatigue hor.

↡ Advertisement

of course, sitting in a freezing air-con in air-port, stamping 1000000 of passport in 8 hours sure have fatigue, our airport very busy one u know [:p]

dont laugh! its true, u need 120% concentration to look at the passport, the passenger, the screen, the passport, the passenger, the screen, ........ repeat that 1000000 times see u get fatigue or not [laugh][laugh][laugh]

I missed the good old days of travelling, where ppl at immigration point welcomes u with a smile and salutation(except for MY).

Nowadays u are looked upon as some terrorists, drug smuggler or criminal.

Neutral Newbie

i tink she referred to those SCDF NSF who r being attached over to check.

i did notice oso some r really slack in their work and some cars did went off without checking.

but NSF, how much do u expect?

boss: ah seng!!! you signed 20 extras alreadi still not enough ah???!!!! still want to listen your walkman and sms your girlfriend isssit????

ah seng: my girlfriend donno want me alreadi.....bo4 ru2 ni3 yi4 chiang1 da2 si2 wo2 ba4 (why not you one gun beat die me [laugh][laugh][laugh] )

boss: [furious][furious][furious]

ah seng: (eyes open big big check every single vehicle ) [sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

On top of that, you have pax who would complain why did it take so long to clear? 1)"you think I am a wanted man?" 2)"I pay more taxes than you do" 3)"if I missed my flight, can you compensate me?".

Worst are those who come at the last minute and trying to cut queue("hey, they are calling for me to board. Final boarding").

These are all in a day's work, nobody knows and I can imagine its a mental torture.

With regards to the complaint letter, I think the aunty does not know how these ppl work. They could be in comm with the operation room or they could be recieving instruction or tipoff on their hp or walkie set.

But I am not saying its not impossible that the staff were doing like what she think they are doing. Everything is possible. She could even have felt slighted "why was my car being check when the one before me was not?"

Before all these saga, after returning from MY from a petrol run at 3am, I came to a immigration counter. It was manned by a lady ICA officer, on her table was a magzine and I could clearly see that she was looking at the jewelley ad. After checking my passport, she smiled at me and I smiled back. First time see such chio ICA officer.

They can be bored on their job too, like us surfing the net during office hours. [:p]

Comprain somemore... next time Causeway will JAM all the way to the beginning of BKE...

no worry.. problem has been anticipated. new ERP gantry will come up after 2 weeks of JAM.

There r 2 roads to the causeway, one from BKE, another one from the small road at woodland there. If wanna put, maybe can put one ERP gentry on one of this road so that ppl have a choice, those urgently need to go in den pay a few bucks per entry to save time and fuel, those no need one can take the other road, like tat will be gd.

(edited)

I forsee the time taken for one to cross the Causeway Checkpoint would be much longer after this complaint [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

Thank you Mdm [:|]

Edited by Mzrmazda3
↡ Advertisement