So many fare cheats gone missin'

Apollo

Penalties for fare evasion on buses and MRT trains kick in on Tuesday

By Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 01 July 2008 2206 hrs

SINGAPORE: Penalties for fare evasion on buses and MRT trains kicked in on Tuesday. Under the new system, those who do not pay the correct fare will be fined 20 Singapore dollars while those who abuse concession cards face a penalty of 50 Singapore dollars.

As of 3pm, 16 people had been caught for these offences, all of them bus commuters.

At Tanjong Pagar MRT station, there is an average of two cases of fare evasion every month, mostly those abusing student concession cards.

Since the penalty system was announced on May 2, ticketing operator TransitLink, which manages the ticketing system used on buses and MRT stations here, has issued over 10,000 warning letters.

But from now, the guilty ones will be fined.

TransitLink and the two public transport operators SBS Transit and SMRT conducted a public education campaign in May and June.

All public transport officials will carry an identification card and issue a receipt once the fine is paid.

Offenders can pay on the spot or at any of TransitLink's offices and Add-Value Machines located at bus interchanges and MRT stations. They have up to 14 days to do so. Any appeals should also be made within this time.

An additional penalty of 1,000 Singapore dollars will be imposed on fare cheats if they do not pay their fine. The same penalty applies if one refuses to give their personal details, or provide false information to the public transport official.

Repeat offenders may be fined 2,000 Singapore dollars or be jailed up to six months, or both.

SBS Transit and SMRT said over 300 fare cheats are caught everyday but they believe the actual figure is higher.

The new system is meant to help stem the loss of about nine million Singapore dollars each year from fare evasion. - CNA/vm

-----------------------

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...353201/1/.html

120000 cases of bus fare evasion were reported in a year. About half of the cases had commuters who failed to pay the full amount

328 cases a day on record.. at best can dig up only 16?

overstated?

↡ Advertisement

did u peeps watch the news ytd?

did u notice the SMRT staff got the "beat me up face". [laugh][laugh][laugh]

(edited)

next time whenever there is a cheater caught, all passengers gang up and beat up the bus captain. [laugh]

Edited by Megaweb

they were saying repeat offenders will kenna jail right???

this should teach the cheats a lesson garment money cannot cheat! 1cents also cannot shortchanged! [smallcry]

Repeat offenders may be fined 2,000 Singapore dollars or be jailed up to six months, or both.

[sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

(edited)

[laugh][laugh][laugh]

not so simple lah the buses now have cameras right???

Edited by Robo

after so many eyars still haven't suceeded in catching fare cheats...

dunno if anyone remembers, one of the reasons for implementing EZ-Link card over farecards was to eliminate fare cheats, coz u can't decide the fare on the way into the bus, only on the way out.

i rem they spent $30 million implementing EZ-Link to recoup $3 million lost to fare cheats in the farecard days.

look whats happening now?...

(edited)

Dan who do u suggest to go approach passengers? Hui Ge? [laugh]

When u wanna enforce a rule, u would send someone with a "everyone owes me sth" face/look and not send a SYT or a comedian to do the job.

Edited by Watwheels

wat u want them to tell u.. honest mistake, let's move on?

they spend millions but with this con card, all ur $$ is locked up and they earning interest which may b used to rescue banks.

think of urself doing a noble deed to save banks

(edited)

hmm... i would prefer if he would approach with a smile... not as thou he is approaching a criminal... [:/].

he can change his face immediately if the person he approach is guilty

Edited by Robo

When I was still taking buses, the cheaters beat the system by tapping the card again 1 stop after they boarded the bus.... [sweatdrop]

I wonder how did they determine the term cheater and how did they arrive at that amount... [rolleyes]

From One of the Reader Comment :

Cheating on bus fare

With effect from 1st July 2008, fine to be implemented on cheating on bus/MRT fare.

My view is why government is protecting the transport operator, and ignoring what the commuters are suffering:

1. overcharging bus fare due to faulty reader

2. overcharging bus fare due to bus captain adjusting reader not following the bus-stop location by mistake

3. time wasted on waiting for buses due to shortage of bus captain or fail to report to work

Above-mentioned are incidents I experienced within first half of this year. I have filed for compalaint and refund obtained on overcharged fare; apology message received thru e-mail.

So, would government consider to compensate the commuter if they encounter such incidents to ask for something more than mere refund on overcharge fare, apology message?

Don't forget, there may have a small number of commuter taking advantage of cheating on bus fare, how about compare to a bus installed with a faulty reader, or a bus captain made a mistake can collect how much of overcharge fares from starting route to ending route?

I would expect to hear the reply from the relevant authority; otherwise, I felt all the messages posted here are useless

"the shareholders must not suffer" Quipped MM.

has any of the ministar declared if they hv NO vested interest in public transport operator in order to assure us they r not biased?

Some time back. I've read a book which says that the future of the entire world will be made as such

The middle-class will be taxed to help the poor, which will also push them to the poor category. The poor will remain poor, if not worse. The rich will become richer

Well, looks like we should change alot of things now

↡ Advertisement