Jilted guy goes on stabbing spree in elite area, 16 yr/16 rotan

Apollo

Dalvey stabbing case: Poly student gets 16 years, 16 strokes By Khushwant Singh, Court Reporter

ln-cnc-murder.jpg

Choking back tears, Navin Jatin Batla told the High Court on Wednesday that he was not going to deny or justify the offences. He said: 'Doing so will be a bigger crime.'

Instead, the 23-year-old Indian national asked for a lenient sentence. 'If not for myself, then for my mother as she has sacrificed everything including selling her house to pay my legal costs,' he added.

As the anxious mother watched from the public gallery, Justice Kan Ting Chiu sentenced her only son to a total of 16 years and 16 strokes of the cane for stabbing his ex-girlfriend's father and two maids in June 2006.

The judge told Batla: 'You came here to do a course in marine engineering sponsored by a major shipping company in India. By committing the offences... you have brought tragedy onto yourself and your widowed mother and destroyed everything.'

Batla, with his hands clasped in front of him, sobbed quietly.

Things were looking bright when he arrived here in October 2005 to study at the Singapore Polytechnic. A month later, he met Ms Mumta Manik Shahani, 38, a Web designer, at the One Night Stand pub in Clarke Quay.

Two weeks later, they were intimate and he would often sneak into her house to spend the night with her. Her father found out and told her to stop seeing the much younger Batla.

She broke up with him on June 29 and an upset Batla bought two knives, four cans of lighter fuel, and cable ties that could be used as restraints.

Using a key given to him by Ms Shahani, he stole into the bungalow in the exclusive Dalvey estate off Stevens Road soon after midnight on June 30. He then went on his stabbing spree.

Asking for leniency, Batla's lawyer, Mr BJ Lean said that his client loved Ms Shahani and her 10-year-old son and wanted to marry her. 'The break-up sent him deep into depression and made him commit these crimes,' Mr Lean said.

The lawyer also produced a report from a psychologist in Mumbai, who had treated Batla since 1997.

Batla's mother, Madam Pooja Batla, 51, who has flown down regularly from Mumbai since Batla was arrested in June 2006, told reporters that she accepted the sentence as her son had done wrong.

'It's been a long wait and now this part is over and I can only look forward to his release,' she said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/...53.html?vgnmr=1

Luckily put away from society, else he may hv turned up and made local poly look like Coumbine High School.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

yah lor... KNN... somemore he's been undergoing treatment since 97...

Singapore so desperate for FTs meh... CCB

I can't believe parents nowadays are still so conservative in their thinking. So what the woman is older dan the guy? 38yo liao leh not 18yo, somemore got son. If it's just a fling and even they will fall out eventually, there's no loss to any of them.

The young man is also too rash and impulsive lah. Never think of the consequences b4 taking action.

why can't they just hide behind trees and sing and dance, like what they did in bollywood films?

crazy killing FT come to s'pore to study..

now killed someone who pays alot of taxes (rich guy i presume to stay off stevens road) unsure.gif

Bro,

Rich man was stabbed, didn't die. If rich man was dead, the sentence will not be 16 years and 16 stroke only..wink.gif

dalvey estate leh not some parts of geylang... u think u can find another chick easily.

Turbocharged
Are FTs screened for psychlogical problems before they are admitted to SG?

I don't think so.

Most likely, they are only required to tick a checkbox indicating if they have a history of mental illness. This statement could be found in most declaration forms.

Turbocharged
(edited)
Things were looking bright when he arrived here in October 2005 to study at the Singapore Polytechnic. A month later, he met Ms Mumta Manik Shahani, 38, a Web designer, at the One Night Stand pub in Clarke Quay .

Call me conservative.

But students who come here to study should spend their time focusing on studies.

Visiting a "one-night-stand" pub is a no-no.

Edited by Albeniz

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

come from the same department as the guy..

i can tell u... not singapore is desperate for FT..

Seagoing job... i ask u... how many singaporeans willing to go for it?

Which singaporean nowadays willing to spend months away from family to earn a living?

these other FTs are just here to fill up the space that the local guys do not want to fill up..

i am not FT-lover.. but i just cannot stand locals (anywhere) griping and complaining when it is themselves who do not want to take up the job in the first place..

it is evident everywhere...

which young local ger wanna be beer promotor? no one? so young cheena ger take the job loh..

when i travel to some US territories.. which local wanna do laborer job or junior admin job? no one? then the filipinos come in and do the job...

then later.. all the locals anywhere will complain that foreign talent come take their jobs.. when it is jobs that they do not want to do in the first place...

Edited by Muar_chee

Are FTs screened for psychlogical problems before they are admitted to SG?

FTs are not screened for mental prblems...

Foreign domestic maids are not screened for mental problems....

Foreigners who become PRs are also not screened for mental problems...

Come to think of it...those who join MCF are also not screened for mental problems! [sly][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

this one stardee web design mah... how to set up a web to catch prey.

obviously 1 successful hit after 1 9 stand. imagine can set up web to catch dragonfly at SJ... somemore free entry. literally free entry. rear entry anot i dunno... lipsrsealed.gif

↡ Advertisement