To leave in neutral?

Silklee

On 1/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, Calikura said:

What car?

Recently did some casual "window shopping" for cars, enquired about the cost and wait time if they were to indent manuals for some existing models. Most of them flat out said that they won't do it. A few said ~5k extra and 3-5 months' additional wait time.

Wonder if Skoda AD will be willing to indent manuals. The new wave of Skoda damn tempting, but don't feel like dealing with the upkeep of a DSG.

Swift sport. No need to special indent. Still have manual on offer haha

On 1/4/2020 at 1:00 PM, Calikura said:

What car?

Recently did some casual "window shopping" for cars, enquired about the cost and wait time if they were to indent manuals for some existing models. Most of them flat out said that they won't do it. A few said ~5k extra and 3-5 months' additional wait time.

Wonder if Skoda AD will be willing to indent manuals. The new wave of Skoda damn tempting, but don't feel like dealing with the upkeep of a DSG.

Agent can indent for You,if can wait for Months & if your Car is the only Manual in S'pore,anything wrong with it...you also may need Weeks to fix it.

11 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Agent can indent for You,if can wait for Months & if your Car is the only Manual in S'pore,anything wrong with it...you also may need Weeks to fix it.

Yep in worst case scenario have to wait for parts to come in. But it's only the gearbox that is different, everything else should be the same.. and manual gearbox tend to be lower upkeep.

If no stupid design flaw, used only for normal daily driving (no track, no launch, whatever), it should only need gear oil changes and clutch job which can be anticipated at a certain mileage and items ordered in advance. If want to extend COE, change one set master+slave cylinder, drain, refill and bleed as preventive maintenance.. actually don't need yet but kiasu only.. that's about it from my and my dad's experiences with owning manuals.. no gearbox rebuild needed.

3 hours ago, Calikura said:

Yep in worst case scenario have to wait for parts to come in. But it's only the gearbox that is different, everything else should be the same.. and manual gearbox tend to be lower upkeep.

If no stupid design flaw, used only for normal daily driving (no track, no launch, whatever), it should only need gear oil changes and clutch job which can be anticipated at a certain mileage and items ordered in advance. If want to extend COE, change one set master+slave cylinder, drain, refill and bleed as preventive maintenance.. actually don't need yet but kiasu only.. that's about it from my and my dad's experiences with owning manuals.. no gearbox rebuild needed.

Different ECU? Engine/gearbox mountings? I'm sure there are other parts that are different too. 

8 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Different ECU? Engine/gearbox mountings? I'm sure there are other parts that are different too. 

Agreed,not only that,a ''Unique'' Car still have to go thru another LTA Inspection,for Emission & Specs...which will cost extra....So indent a Manual Car will be at least $4,000.00 more.

No seems the other way round, in the pass I remember buying manual car is always cheaper by 3 to 5K as compared to auto gear for the same model. Time have chnages

This question has been on mind although for a different reason... I was thinking about whether good to engage handbrake (yes my car still has a physical handbrake, not a button) while at a long traffic light, and therefore whether to shift to N while doing that...

So I read thru the whole thread... And googled for updated car website advice:

https://www.autodeal.com.ph/articles/car-features/it-better-shift-neutral-or-stay-in-drive-stop

Autodeal PH says doesn't matter whether shift to N or keep in D. Up to you.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/columns/motor-mouth-online/should-you-really-shift-to-neutral-when-stuck-in-traffic

Top gear PH says YES shift to N!

https://www.wapcar.my/news/regular-at-vs-dct-should-you-hold-it-in-d-or-in-n-while-in-traffic-3424

Wapcar interviewed the car manufacturers and short answer is that it depends on the transmission.

So anyway back to my initial question, do you use the handbrake for long traffic light stops and if so, do you shift to N?

42 minutes ago, Blueray said:

D + foot on brake pedal.

Same for me. Shifting to N and then back to D adds wear to the autobox which in my case is a torque convertor. Cheaper to replace brake pads than repair a gearbox from the wear and tear.  After many years, replace the engine rubber mounts as the car vibrates more when in D at the lights with the brakes on. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
19 minutes ago, serenade said:

Same for me. Shifting to N and then back to D adds wear to the autobox which in my case is a torque convertor. Cheaper to replace brake pads than repair a gearbox from the wear and tear.  After many years, replace the engine rubber mounts as the car vibrates more when in D at the lights with the brakes on. 

I have this impression only those taxi drivers or PHV drivers would always like to shift the gear to N and then back to D whenever they stopped. I find it quite irritating if i sit in a taxi/PHV that the driver keeps shifting the gear.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1