To leave in neutral?

Silklee

(edited)

My SE@Champion Motors says no prob - modern auto cars are designed to allow frequent gear shifting.

In fact (a/c to same SE), shifting to N during traffic lights helps to reduce FC, as car will need not move@ N gear.

Mentions that this frequent gear shift is not applicable to the older cars as the auto gear box back then, was still not well designed to cope for frequent shifting... that's how this fact came about.

FYI, I drive a 07 Suzie Swift, & have been doing this. No problem so far [;)]

Edited by Deathstalker
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

i had a saab 900 auto once and I knew I am going to scrape it soon

so i tested it out by switching to N when I am at traffic lights

and down shift to 2 or 3 from D from going down slope

within a year the gear box ... kaput

so I never switch to N at traffic lights unless like I am going to be stuck for more than 5 minutes

going down slope I will slow the car down to about 20 km/h then switch to a lower gear

• Praise 1

Shift D --> N --> D will cause wear n tear to tranny but less vibration

stick to D will put a stress to brake pad but can launch anytime

Holding the car stationary using the brakes does not wear the brake pads out. There is no friction between the pads and the discs, so how can they wear out? Imagine you take an eraser and just push it down onto a piece of paper. Does it wear out? Only when you rub it then it will.

Actually the brake pad is experiencing pressure in kilo newtons.

Is it advisable to shift to neutral gear when say I am stuck in a traffic jam for auto transmission car? Will this additional gear change do any damage to the gear box?

I have been shifting from D to N and N to D frequently for nearly 5 years and there was no problem with gear box.

What's your ride?

I had an auto mazda from 1997 to 2002 before changing to a manual mazda.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/columns/motor-mouth-online/should-you-really-shift-to-neutral-when-stuck-in-traffic

Hi, Ferman!

I recently bought a Toyota Vios 1.5 equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission. I have a habit of shifting to neutral during stop-and-go traffic conditions and while waiting for the light to go green.

My question is: will this have a bad effect on my transmission? I feel like leaving the gear set to D during traffic consumes more fuel and might place additional stress on the brakes because it is trying to stop the car constantly. Is this true as well?

I used to drive a Lancer 1.6 equipped with CVT. I never really had a problem with the transmission despite doing the same thing. But I've read that CVT is different from a traditional automatic transmission, which the Vios has. I'm really wondering if this driving habit is good for my car or not.

Thank you very much for reading this letter.

Regards,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

What you are doing is correct.

Quite a number of drivers, particularly the ones who picked up bad driving habits from other drivers who didn't know any better, often practice improper driving by not shifting to neutral when the car is not moving. While I would like to tell you that there is a good reason (under normal circumstances) for keeping it in D and stepping on the brakes at a stop, I can't. It's mostly born out of laziness and improper training.

As you have correctly surmised, the engine does consume more fuel and you do wear down your brake-system components more when you leave your transmission in D or Drive while the traffic light is red or when you’re idling and waiting.

With automatic transmissions, the engine is energizing or driving the transmission to move in the direction of the gear you've selected--forward or reverse. When you keep it in gear, you are telling your vehicle to move; when you're on the brakes, you're preventing motion. You're unnecessarily and slowly raising your automatic transmission fluid, wearing out your transmission clutches, and consuming more fuel because you're on the brakes to keep the car from inching forward. You're also unnecessarily wearing down and heating up your brake pads. By simply shifting to N or neutral there would be no need to apply the brakes with the amount of force required to resist forward motion.

If you notice all of the above result in unnecessary wear, all of which increase the cost of operating and maintaining your vehicle. It's also a very unsafe practice as if you happen to accidentally lift your foot off the brake, you will most likely get into an accident.

While we're on the subject of automatic transmissions, it is also a very bad habit to shift into P or Park when you're at a stoplight. Numerous drivers have adopted the practice as well and, quite frankly, it is also an accident waiting to happen apart from slowing damaging a different part of your transmission, which will eventually lead to the a different sort of automatic transmission failure.

It won't matter if your car has CVT or the conventional multi-speed automatic transmission. Shifting to neutral under most normal conditions is good practice.

Best regards,

Ferman Lao
Tech editor

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

10 hours ago, Jamesc said:

https://www.topgear.com.ph/columns/motor-mouth-online/should-you-really-shift-to-neutral-when-stuck-in-traffic

Hi, Ferman!

I recently bought a Toyota Vios 1.5 equipped with a four-speed automatic transmission. I have a habit of shifting to neutral during stop-and-go traffic conditions and while waiting for the light to go green.

My question is: will this have a bad effect on my transmission? I feel like leaving the gear set to D during traffic consumes more fuel and might place additional stress on the brakes because it is trying to stop the car constantly. Is this true as well?

I used to drive a Lancer 1.6 equipped with CVT. I never really had a problem with the transmission despite doing the same thing. But I've read that CVT is different from a traditional automatic transmission, which the Vios has. I'm really wondering if this driving habit is good for my car or not.

Thank you very much for reading this letter.

Regards,

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

What you are doing is correct.

Quite a number of drivers, particularly the ones who picked up bad driving habits from other drivers who didn't know any better, often practice improper driving by not shifting to neutral when the car is not moving. While I would like to tell you that there is a good reason (under normal circumstances) for keeping it in D and stepping on the brakes at a stop, I can't. It's mostly born out of laziness and improper training.

As you have correctly surmised, the engine does consume more fuel and you do wear down your brake-system components more when you leave your transmission in D or Drive while the traffic light is red or when you’re idling and waiting.

With automatic transmissions, the engine is energizing or driving the transmission to move in the direction of the gear you've selected--forward or reverse. When you keep it in gear, you are telling your vehicle to move; when you're on the brakes, you're preventing motion. You're unnecessarily and slowly raising your automatic transmission fluid, wearing out your transmission clutches, and consuming more fuel because you're on the brakes to keep the car from inching forward. You're also unnecessarily wearing down and heating up your brake pads. By simply shifting to N or neutral there would be no need to apply the brakes with the amount of force required to resist forward motion.

If you notice all of the above result in unnecessary wear, all of which increase the cost of operating and maintaining your vehicle. It's also a very unsafe practice as if you happen to accidentally lift your foot off the brake, you will most likely get into an accident.

While we're on the subject of automatic transmissions, it is also a very bad habit to shift into P or Park when you're at a stoplight. Numerous drivers have adopted the practice as well and, quite frankly, it is also an accident waiting to happen apart from slowing damaging a different part of your transmission, which will eventually lead to the a different sort of automatic transmission failure.

It won't matter if your car has CVT or the conventional multi-speed automatic transmission. Shifting to neutral under most normal conditions is good practice.

Best regards,

Ferman Lao
Tech editor

that article is obsolete.

Should you really shift to neutral when stuck in traffic?

Our tech guru has the answer

by Ferman Lao | Feb 24, 2012

++++

Nowadays, the DSG GB disengage the clutch at stop traffic. You will see the rev counter at the same RPM be it in gear after you arrived at a stoplight OR when you place it at neutral.

CVT, not sure if it does that .

13 hours ago, Jamesc said:

You're unnecessarily and slowly raising your automatic transmission fluid, wearing out your transmission clutches, and consuming more fuel

This has been an age-old debate with no conclusion. What I believe is - while it is true that AT is engaged and fluids heat up, at the traffic lights for a minute or 2, its fine. Go into P if one is waiting longer than that. Shifting in and out of D apparently causes more wear as it shocks the system when it engages and disengages. I read its about the limited shift cycles a GB has, but I cant find the article anymore.

3 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

You're also unnecessarily wearing down and heating up your brake pads

Not true. There is no friction between pad and rotor when the car is stationary, so there is no heat and no wear. Imagine if you engaged your parking brake on a slope, and overnight the brake pads wear out?!? 

It's also a very unsafe practice as if you happen to accidentally lift your foot off the brake, you will most likely get into an accident.

It is even more unsafe if your foot is off the brakes and the car rolls, or worse, someone rear ends you and catapults you into the middle of the traffic junction with on-coming vehicles!

I agree with this.

Not a very credible article IMO.

Edit: I am quoting from the post, and I am aware that they are not the words of the person who posted.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

18 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

This has been an age-old debate with no conclusion. What I believe is - while it is true that AT is engaged and fluids heat up, at the traffic lights for a minute or 2, its fine. Go into P if one is waiting longer than that. Shifting in and out of D apparently causes more wear as it shocks the system when it engages and disengages. I read its about the limited shift cycles a GB has, but I cant find the article anymore.

Not true. There is no friction between pad and rotor when the car is stationary, so there is no heat and no wear. Imagine if you engaged your parking brake on a slope, and overnight the brake pads wear out?!? 

It is even more unsafe if your foot is off the brakes and the car rolls, or worse, someone rear ends you and catapults you into the middle of the traffic junction with on-coming vehicles!

I agree with this.

Not a very credible article IMO.

Interestingly I use the quote from the article as a follow thru. But from the various portion that was cut n paste from the articles it looks as if I was the author of the article 😅

Just now, Sdf4786k said:

Interestingly I use the quote from the article as a follow thru. But from the various portion that was cut n paste from the articles it looks as if I was the author of the article 😅

Paiseh, I wanted to clarify that but I forgot. Sorry...

• Praise 1

For me, unless i have drove the vehicle until tired and the traffic light takes a while to turn to turn green then i will put in Neutral to rest the feet. LOL!

So i appreciate modern day cars with the auto hold feature!

Personally is also worried that the constant shifting will give stress to gearbox.

Frankly speaking i doubt any modern car or gearbox are so fragile that such a basic habit or action will prolong your gearbox life or wearout your gearbox faster.

• Praise 1

To settle this mass debate on put in neutral or not when red light

I will go to the Gearbox overhaul thread and ask all the people who gearbox up lorry

whether they put in neutral or just keep their foot on the brake car gear in D.

Then we will all know the true answer.

:grin: