To leave in neutral?

Silklee

Turbocharged

I may be wrong, but wouldn't the discs be trying to move (ie. the rolling action of an auto car when you're not stepping on the accelerator)? In your analogy, the paper is totally stationary and not attempting to move, so yes the eraser does not experience wear, but I'd thought unless the car is put to N, the discs would be trying to move.

↡ Advertisement

[reply]

"N" is for "No use" laugh.gif

"D" is for "Don't shift" nod.gif beli cleber hor.....u which skool one ah....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Is it advisable to shift to neutral gear when say I am stuck in a traffic jam for auto transmission car? Will this additional gear change do any damage to the gear box?

I have been shifting from D to N and N to D frequently for nearly 5 years and there was no problem with gear box.

Yes, the discs will be trying to move, but the brake pads will be holding them hard enough so there is no movement, and no friction. To go back to my earlier analogy, it's like someone is trying to pull the paper out from under the eraser, but you are holding the eraser down hard enough so the paper can't move. Again, no wear and tear.

Yes, the discs will be trying to move, but the brake pads will be holding them hard enough so there is no movement, and no friction. To go back to my earlier analogy, it's like someone is trying to pull the paper out from under the eraser, but you are holding the eraser down hard enough so the paper can't move. Again, no wear and tear.

--------------------------------------------

There be no friction but what about stress on both the rubber and the paper. Over time either one or both will give way.

Neutral Newbie

if ur in a jam den leave it in D..

better than to shift to N,then back to D;in the process, panic and accelerate b4 the gear changes.

the jerk is super painful.

Neutral Newbie

Shift D --> N --> D will cause wear n tear to tranny but less vibration

stick to D will put a stress to brake pad but can launch anytime

Holding the car stationary using the brakes does not wear the brake pads out. There is no friction between the pads and the discs, so how can they wear out? Imagine you take an eraser and just push it down onto a piece of paper. Does it wear out? Only when you rub it then it will.

If u read ploperly, i wrote 'stress' not 'wear out'. Stress to the rotor, pad, caliper, cyclinder, master pum, even to your kaki, just as in your eraser/paper anology

but hor im not expert in this area, thats why i wrote 'the choise is yours' in my 3nd liner which had been ommitted

[reply]

"N" is for "No use" laugh.gif

"D" is for "Don't shift" nod.gif beli cleber hor.....u which skool one ah....laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

KNN where u disappear to??? [laugh] Teech yr "stallions" Oopss [lipsrsealed] "Stu-lents"...thrusting har? [rolleyes]

i think auto transmission is very reliable nowadays. let not consider lemon gear box.

i would think its up to the driver whether to put to N or leave it a D during traffic jam.

unless you are shifting from D to N and back to D at more than 100 times per day, i would think that there should be no problem for modern gear box.

Is it advisable to shift to neutral gear when say I am stuck in a traffic jam for auto transmission car? Will this additional gear change do any damage to the gear box?

I have been shifting from D to N and N to D frequently for nearly 5 years and there was no problem with gear box.

What's your ride?

Ppl got the whole thing wrong. The nemesis of the autobox is EXCESSIVE HEAT. By keeping it in gear will have the transmission oil running to the radiator/ATF cooler to keep it cool.

Shifting back and forth between D to N does not kill the autobox. Maybe a lot of city driving will wear it down faster. Also depends on your driving behaviour. A couple of factors lah but the most potent is still excessive heat.

N to me is more for disengagement of the gears FWD to Reverse or vise versa. Imagine there's no N and u shift from FWD straight to Reverse when parking... [dead]

[laugh]

Turbocharged

That there is no movement does not equate to no friction. By analogy, by putting my 2 palms together and trying to move them in opposite directions (1 away from me and 1 towards me), just because they end up not moving does not mean there is no friction between my palms. In fact, if there is no friction, then the palms would move.

Coming back to the discs and brake pads, the whole reason why there is no movement is because the pads are preventing the discs from moving and for the discs to achieve that, there must be friction.

Some of my frds say shifting to neutral in jam or traffic lite will save petrol but i tried dat and notice idling/RPM increase when i switch to neutral..

Funni..how to save petrol like dat... [:/]