To leave in neutral?

Silklee

1 minute ago, Vratenza said:

All these question can be easily answered with: RTFM (paper or electronic version)

I think everyone feels that they are smarter than the engineering team who designed the gearbox and the TCU/ECU program.

Just like the age old "advise" to let your car idle for a few minutes to warm up after starting cold.....car manual will just tell you to just drive off and don't ram your accelerator until the engine oil is up to temperature...even then the modern ECU will not even allow you to full throttle down/activate launch control mode until the conditions are "safe".

And that’s why we have the “limp”eh mode😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

9 minutes ago, RadX said:

And that’s why we have the “limp”eh mode😂

yeah, "limp"eh mode is there for a reason....😁

• Haha! 1

When people learn to drive

what does the instructor teach people to do?

Press brake or put neutral or put parking brake?

:D

My time only manual so clutch in, gear always to neutral and pull handbrake. 

• Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Jamesc said:

When people learn to drive

what does the instructor teach people to do?

Press brake or put neutral or put parking brake?

:D

My time only manual so clutch in, gear always to neutral and pull handbrake. 

My kid who just passed says to leave in D and step on the brakes 😄

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Raychay said:

Yah lo

sho simpur 

20 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

This question has been on mind although for a different reason... I was thinking about whether good to engage handbrake (yes my car still has a physical handbrake, not a button) while at a long traffic light, and therefore whether to shift to N while doing that...

So I read thru the whole thread... And googled for updated car website advice:

https://www.autodeal.com.ph/articles/car-features/it-better-shift-neutral-or-stay-in-drive-stop

Autodeal PH says doesn't matter whether shift to N or keep in D. Up to you.

https://www.topgear.com.ph/columns/motor-mouth-online/should-you-really-shift-to-neutral-when-stuck-in-traffic

Top gear PH says YES shift to N!

https://www.wapcar.my/news/regular-at-vs-dct-should-you-hold-it-in-d-or-in-n-while-in-traffic-3424

Wapcar interviewed the car manufacturers and short answer is that it depends on the transmission.

So anyway back to my initial question, do you use the handbrake for long traffic light stops and if so, do you shift to N?

@yellowshaun 

Everybody got different version, different methods for the past so many years. 

Ok for long traffic light stops, Shift to R and step on brake. Becos R = Rest 😁

Let the car have a rest from time to time is good for the engine and gearbox. 

• Haha! 7

53 minutes ago, Raychay said:

If the instructor's car can withstand the use and abuse this way, then that has to be correct. 

23 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Those with Engine Start/Stop System can just leave to ''D''.

Ah my car just happens to be one that (thankfully) doesn't have the start stop feature. :)

20 hours ago, Si4dr said:

Sometimes in traffic I leave it in D & use Brake Hold.

Unfortunately cause its a physical handbrake, don't have brake hold button...

I'm driving my 2011 honda ody until today and i practise the "put to N at traffic lights" method.

so far still no problem.

note. using this method since my first auto car in 1990.

• Praise 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:15 PM, Vratenza said:

All these question can be easily answered with: RTFM (paper or electronic version)

I think everyone feels that they are smarter than the engineering team who designed the gearbox and the TCU/ECU program.

Just like the age old "advise" to let your car idle for a few minutes to warm up after starting cold.....car manual will just tell you to just drive off and don't ram your accelerator until the engine oil is up to temperature...even then the modern ECU will not even allow you to full throttle down/activate launch control mode until the conditions are "safe".

all those who park basement carpark must ram to go up steep slopes just after starting car.

7 hours ago, 107fan said:

all those who park basement carpark must ram to go up steep slopes just after starting car.

I have parked daily in underground carparks for many years, none of these underground car parks ramp require me to have my RPM go anything slightly more than 2K RPM at 2nd gear if I drive my car out gently.

I doubt any URA/HDB approved carpark ramps have any inclination that require even a 1L perodua to "ram: the accelerator just to get up....oh, maybe when fully loaded with sumo-wrestler-type friends....then I will guess it is too bad for that 0.1% situtation.

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, Vratenza said:

I have parked daily in underground carparks for many years, none of these underground car parks ramp require me to have my RPM go anything slightly more than 2K RPM at 2nd gear if I drive my car out gently.

I doubt any URA/HDB approved carpark ramps have any inclination that require even a 1L perodua to "ram: the accelerator just to get up....oh, maybe when fully loaded with sumo-wrestler-type friends....then I will guess it is too bad for that 0.1% situtation.

Yup, come to think of it again, it shouldnt go above 2k RPM for any such slopes.

Turbocharged

Recently chanced upon this tik tok guy talking about how to prolong the life of auto gear box.. He claimed that by shifting from D to P alot of load was acted on the transmission. That's why at times we got difficulty to shift from P back to D.

His method while parking.. for us who usually reverse park unlike other BIG countries where head in so i adapted abit

• From D shift to R then reverse to the parking lot.
  • Once in lot press BRAKE and Shift to Neutral.
  • Release the BRAKE, at this point the car may move slightly. This is the critical moment when the load is taken off the transmission.
  • Engage Handbrake now and/or press BRAKE then shift to P.
  • Off the engine

I tried this method on my Superb DSG few days liao.. seem working wor.. din get the "Hard to shift from P to D" feeling.. din try on my Swift as i hardly drive that.

Anyone experience this method? Strange that i been driving 30 years and only now i know this.. time to watch more tik tok! whahahahahhaha..

Twincharged

@Ody_2004 If you put Load on the Parking Pin in P mode,of course difficult to shift out to D..common sense...that is why,never use P to hold the Car,except very Flat Road.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

@Ody_2004 If you put Load on the Parking Pin in P mode,of course difficult to shift out to D..common sense...that is why,never use P to hold the Car,except very Flat Road.

My observation on flat road leh.. sometimes hard to shift i also dunno why.. same carpark same spot de..

Simply put, put to P after handbrake is applied and foot off the brake pedal.

Let the hand brake hold the car , be it flat ground  or on a slope.

The GB is simply free from any load. Be it AT or manual GB.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Jialat..wifey always put to P and walk off even though handbrake is electronic type..

Must counsel her softly tonight..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2