Desaru Fruit Farm - Day Trip

Voodooman

I am planning a day trip to Desaru, mainly to visit the fruit farm. I have the following questions which I hope forumers can help me with, especially those who have been there and done that:

a. Time needed to tour fruit farm (I am thinking of allocating 3 hours max and spending 2 hours in the afternoon at the Kota Tinggi waterfalls)

b. Worth detouring to Sungai Rengit for lunch or dinner?

c. Recommended breakfast places enroute to Desaru (not in JB, if possible)

d. Can we get good durians at the fruit farm?

e. Any durian farms around Desaru worth visiting?

f. Best beaches to visit in Desaru, preferably with good and clean waters like those found in Terengganu. [laugh]

Any comments would be appreciated, planning the itinerary now.

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

I was there in March for a 2D1N trip - last voyage on my CM5. That was after a few weeks after Mr Selamat performed David Copperfield's best and woke up ICA from its slumber. Well, the kiasu-ness in me got the better of me and I dragged my family up to clear Woodlands Checkpoint at 5.30am. Turned out there was absolutely no queue [:p]

Anyway, I reached Pulai Desaru Beach Resort in good time - before 7am, and proceeded to check in, only to be told we have to wait till 12 at the earliest. So refugee style, we spent the better part of the morning loafing at the lounge till the breakfast crowd started to throng the cafe. We decided then to proceed to Sungei Rengit for breakfast - normal fare of prata, eggs, toast and noodles at one of the coffee shop. Once laden with food, we decided to visit the nearby ostrich farm. It wasn't opening hours yet, but we could peep through the gap to see what's in store for visitors. What we saw - many ostriches with featherless back like those strickened by hair loss, walking around like oversized plucked turkey. That was enough ostrich for the whole trip.

We proceeded to Desaru fruit farm. Now this was a little more interesting. The guide will explain the different kind of fruits, and brought us around the different parts of the orchard. Most interesting should be the kiddy pet farm, where we spend a large part of our time. I guess it's worth the RM if you're mountain tortoises. I don't remember seeing durian though, but we got a fruit platter each, compliment of our inflated tourist entrance fee.

All our meals, save for breakfast, took place at Sungei Rengit. The seafood beat the offerings at the resort, but I noticed they have their way to protect themselves against inflation, based on "seasonal pricing".

Beach-wise, I only know the sandy stretch at Pulai Desaru. Pretty decent for a southern end beach with powdery sand, great billows and so-so water. Watch out for the rocks - your kids can easily get thrown onto its jagged edges by the powerful waves.

Edited by Siewss

Neutral Newbie

My friends just visited the fruit farm a few Saturdays ago, mainly a self-drive durain trip.

Set-off about 2 pm and arrive at 5pm. Decided to sign-up for the tour cum dinner buffet for RM 65 ea.

had a brief tour cos main objective is durain. Skipped the bee n hoeny thing totally [;)]

After short tour, was served durain, then a buffet of BBQ chicken, beef, lamb. There is actually a whole lamb over the fire and they said that was one of the best lamb they have tasted, even though they usually don't go for lamb. Got salad and seafood (cockle inclusive )also.

After that free-flow of assortment of fruits and durain if course.

Verdict : good food and value for money.

Note that the BBQ buffet dinner package only starts at 5:30pm. They were there on a Sat, not sure if the spread will be as good on a weekday.

Hypersonic

The last time we went into the waters off desaru pulai, got quite a few oil slick attache to our feet. You don't see them in the aters, but after you come out, you'll see them on your feet.

If you don't mind stretching your trip into the night, I'd recommend the firefly boat tour in the Kota Tinggi.

(edited)

Bro...better to spend one nite at pulai. Cos if u kena jam for both going in & coming back, plus the short drive & outings, it can be quite tiring to squeeze all these in a day.

I suggest u go in early & visit kota tinggi waterfalls first, then check in @ noon, then hit the beach & pool. Have a short nap then head for the fruit/ostrich farm. Sg Rengit is nearby only for yr seafood dinner. Next morning sleep until like zombies then have one last go at the beaches, then check out lor.

Firefly trip can try, if u are not too bothered about the moizzs

Overall not bad rah....for a short 2 day 1 nite holiday. [nod]

Edited by Hiphiphoray

when u go? the last time i go is morning set off at abt 8am.

then lunching there and didnt do much of a farm thingy ... missed it..

a beach day tot....

one beach no toilet but v nice blue water coast. facing the ocean,

then the other with toilet black beach. crowded.

seafood lunch diner half half.

then came back evening ... fire fires then back home.

--- if u going when .. maybe wanna join u if the time is rite.

pm me then :)

Whatever that is said here, definitely cheaper than Sentosa.

Better beaches, fruit farms, ostrich farms, maybe visit ruins (Johor Lama) and even the Johor gun battery if it is still around.

(edited)

Thanks for the detailed report, you should start a blog, it will be good reference materials, like Genie47's.

I was expecting journey time of approximately 1.5 hours, it looks like it will take 2 hours or more, will be travelling with 3 to 4 other vehicles. This is going to be a day trip so I will probably need to decide between the beaches and waterfalls. Will try to cover both if there is no jam at the causeway, it ain't going to happen, I think.

Edited by Voodooman

(edited)

Thanks, will keep a look out for Telok Sengat, any die-die must try dishes?

Edited by Voodooman

He took 3 hours to reach the fruit farm? I may need to "overhaul" my itinerary if that is the case.

A friend just came back from a day trip to Pontian/Kukup. He reported cheap and good kampong durians at RM3/kg. I am hoping to get similiar value at Desaru but as 60% of visitors are from Singapore, I am expecting prices to be very close to those found in Singapore.

Next destination will be Pontian or Segamat. Got my hands on this guidebook recently, it covers 4 opened-to-public durian plantations in Segamat and Pontian area, looking forward to eating durians right under the durian trees.

Dinner at Desaru will be too late for us, will probably take it at JB or Telok Sengat, as suggested by Neutrino.

I will probably have to make the overnight trip myself on another occasion. Thanks for the recommmendation.

We only have 1 day to sparse, so I will have to keep schedule tight and choose a few die-die must see places.

I am either going this weekend or next, probably on the Sat, it is a big group, 4 to 5 vehicles, interested? Travel plan will only be firmed up by this thursday.

(edited)

Sentosa is cut-throat. Inflation in Malaysia is however quite bad these days, I am seeing a significant jump in the dollar value of meals my family takes in JB. We can usually dine at this Japanese restaurant for less than RM 100 for family of 4, full meal and all, these days, it is always 3-digit. Even Secret Receipe has adjusted their pricing, but overall still cheaper than Singapore.

Thanks for the pointers, unlikely to visit ruins and gun battery this time round, too many places to see and visit.

Edited by Voodooman

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi Voodooman,

Sorry, hijack your thread. My family is thinking about gg in to relax a while too. Keep us update about your trip though. :)

Got something to ask Siewss,

Hi Siewss,

Can I check with you how was the Pulai Desaru Beach Resort? Condition good? Did you book thru agency?

Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by Subaru003

Thanks for the detailed report, you should start a blog, it will be good reference materials, like Genie47's.

I was expecting journey time of approximately 1.5 hours, it looks like it will take 2 hours or more, will be travelling with 3 to 4 other vehicles. This is going to be a day trip so I will probably need to decide between the beaches and waterfalls. Will try to cover both if there is no jam at the causeway, it ain't going to happen, I think.

Actually it's about 1.5 hrs assuming smooth traffic. But Johor's morning snare is not something to sneeze at, and coupled with illogical traffic lights that takes ages before the "99" seconds countdown, having the patience of a monk is a essential requisite. Of course, the causeway is the great grandmother of all jams.

In case you decide to visit Kota Tinggi, it's RM6 per head entry, I think. In Sing $$, not ex, but I would have prefered to spend it on a meal.

↡ Advertisement