1000 quitters every year..

Apollo

July 21, 2008

1,000 S'poreans give up citizenship each year

AN AVERAGE of about 1,000 Singapore gave up their citizenship each year in the last three years, said Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Monday.

The reasons they renounced their Singapore citizenship ranged from marriage to foreigners to yearning for a different environment, he said in his written reply to a question from from Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim, who wanted to know how many Singaporeans had emigrated in the last three years.

Most of them took up new citizenship in countries in Southeast-Asia, the United States of America and Australia.

Mr Wong said Singaporeans who emigrate generally do not declare this to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) when they leave.

The only available data which gives an indication of the number of emigrants from Singapore is the number of Singaporeans who have given up their citizenship and left Singapore.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2...ry_259877.html

i think we need WWE to save the ingenious kaisu singaporean. in another 5 more years, it will b a extinct breed of human.

----------

Number of emigrants and trends in their employment in foreign countries There are no official data on the number of emigrants from Singapore although the stock of Singaporeans overseas is generally estimated to be between 100,000 and 150,000 (The Sunday Star Malaysia 30 January 2005). According to one report,
↡ Advertisement

many many moons back when i was still a teenager.... somebody up there tell us to VENTURE OUT..... many many moons later, he lamented those ppl as QUITTERS..... muahahaha

do also die, dun do also die........better dun do....

i suspect is bcoz of our crime rates,and worse still the runaway of our famous (selamat datang) [lipsrsealed] .by the way,i wonder if MAS is consider 1 of the quitters [laugh] ?

1000 quitters only? I tot the number should be a lot higher. [shakehead]

But never mind mah....we export some but we import a lot more, so overall we still gain. Hitting 6.5m population is still possible. [thumbsup]

During NS, just before i am going to ORD, one young newly commissioned officer(tekan him before when he was a cadet) ask whether we will give up our citizenship to go oversea to work..

Then he goes on a long story on how we will become 2nd class citizen in other countries, blah blah.. Then ask us to write our thoughts on a piece of paper.. One of us wrote: Yes, I will leave Singapore.. It is better to be a 2nd class citizen than to remain as 3rd class in your own country.. sweatdrop.gif

muahaha... under-inflated figures lah.... or anyhow humtum cause no one bothers to track so anyhow bombard a figure....

muahaha...i wonder if the numbers include ppl who are "LOST" n not found or MIA.... lol

everyhing also want No.1 soon quitters figures also No.1

lol

Turbocharged

let's assume this 1000 quiter is true.. this number is actually those who burn the bridge and ditch pink ic.

how about those who got themselves a 2nd option/backup plan ie. a PR? number not published right...must be way, way, way higher.. sly.gif

Funny thing our gahmen condemned local quitters but welcome foreign quitters.....with opened arms and legs.

Talk about double-standards. [thumbsdown]

If they manage to get hold of the number of Singaporeans who hold PR status in other countries, do you think they dare to publish? [lipsrsealed]

If they really want to check, they definitely can compile statistics of Singaporeans who are currently not in Singapore (from ICA records) and tally how many have not returned in the past 6 months. That gives a rough indication.

Turbocharged

that's too troublesome.. i think going islandwide searching for cheapest and most expensive chicken rice is more valuable... [laugh]

Turbocharged

I thinking of joining the rank and file of the 1,000 boh chee people also.

Now saving some cash for my move to Tahiti. They hiring toilet janitor. Papeete also good lah. Bora Bora is a bonus.

Everyday sway sai jwee on paradise island still quite nice also. After sway sway can go dip in the clear warm water [inlove]

Many already quit in "heart".

To many, Singapore is just like a "hotel".

Check in and check out.

That is worse.

[laugh]

Turbocharged

yes.. almost all my close buddies have their '2nd option' and they are mostly overseas now bigcry.gif

they have not burned the bridge yet though.. deep in their heart, they still can't let go..

one thing, if it gets so bad, they may just quit..

↡ Advertisement