Everything Inverter?

Kelpie

1. Lately been shopping around for home appliances and I realized that beside Air-con, Fridge and even microwave also have inverter. Is this a hip or what? Inverter really save energy or just a marketing gimmick with no really saving or take ages to breakeven?

2. May be next one is an inverter rice cooker, water kettle and what have you? [laugh]

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

no hip lah... becos the problem is power supply fr PUB is beri rough, not refined. anyone in the indstry will take you that real saving is to install power conditioning at the intake side (3 phase) and smoothen out the supplies. this helps to keep ur equipment working longer also.

for airconditioning and fridge, it helps to get rotary screw compressors, they r very efficient, silent, energy saving and expensive as a capital cost but long term will shave off some saving in operations cost.

most impt for elec appliance is right sizing. get a small fridge if ur need r small.

but most impt is change of habits. less reliance on airconditioning when u sleep. just like reduction on smoking.

no hip lah... becos the problem is power supply fr PUB is beri rough, not refined. anyone in the indstry will take you that real saving is to install power conditioning at the intake side (3 phase) and smoothen out the supplies. this helps to keep ur equipment working longer also.

for airconditioning and fridge, it helps to get rotary screw compressors, they r very efficient, silent, energy saving and expensive as a capital cost but long term will shave off some saving in operations cost.

most impt for elec appliance is right sizing. get a small fridge if ur need r small.

but most impt is change of habits. less reliance on airconditioning when u sleep. just like reduction on smoking.

I used to see someone selling some sort of plug-n-play "power conditioner" that supposedly save you electricity bill. Do they really work? Are they some sort of inverter to smoothen out the supplies. Do you think inverter technology can be applied to automative?

Regards.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder if it's worth it. Price diff between inverter and non-inverter air-con is easily 1K. Can it really save you that much of a difference in electricity bill?

dun work.. u need to correct suppliers at source. 3 phase, not 1 phase.

oh.. the other thing. most of ur appliances with a motor sucks supplies when starting. we call this starting load. and a standard motor can hv >3 times the current of running load.

electrical cars all use inverters. for petrol..

cars like colt uses cvt and eletric sensing pedals tat adjust supplies accordingly so tat works like a rotary screw compressor to smooth out load.

Ok, let me give a very brief intro on inverter based on my shallow knowledge of it.

Inverter comes in play when the object to be controlled involved a motor.. typically BLDC.

Inverter is able to generate customized waveform to run the devices thus allowing cost efficiency. It works just like a virtual valve.

Example, for older systems, the current input remains the same regardless how fast the motor spin in these devices, however in inverter system, the system will draw current with respect to the speed of the devices thus allowing cost savings. As current drawn will result in KWH rating that you will be charged.

IE, given a single phase home supply, the inverter is capable of producing 3-phase supply to run the motor. some industry standard named it 3-phase BLDC motor.

There are newer motors standard that are even better than BLDC but I shall not explained it here.

Those products that you had seen to market cost reduction just by plugging a set in front is useless.

Reason being, in our home based on single phase supply, we are being charged based on KWH and not power factor. Those set are mearly power factor improvment devices which are irrevelant in our homes. For all the electric equipment you seen in the market, all comes with safety stickers, these stickers had ensured the devices you buy had gone thru testing and had met the required power factor rating.

Neutral Newbie

Hey bro, you and me found out the same thing... [laugh]

I recently bought an inverter fridge, and an inverter microwave... like you all say, got inverter TV I will also try liao... [sweatdrop]

Dunno how much it will save la, but my sister's house inverter aircons saves her ~$100 a month on electricity after she changed from her old aircons. Of course got to consider that old aircons take up more electricity anyway lor...

I suppose you pay extra for those inverter stuff, heng cheng no good leh [:/]. Pulling your legs, anyway do you see a significant reduction in your utility bill since you mentioned that you sis save $100 monthly?

Regards,

(edited)

Car with inverter have already... Lexus RX 400h. But still need petrol.

Edited by Kklee

(edited)

Yes. I have a washing machine inverter from LG. It saves a lot of money. and time. and less water consumption too.

Wah a decade thread you are replying, how dedicated you are.

Anywho, inverter has since been a norm now. I hope new technologies will be available.

Edited by uniquely_ad

+1 post..... :D

was @angcheek born when this thread started?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1