Please Help on Tyre Direction!!! URGENT!!!

Maxngck

Hi all bro & sis,

I am currently using Bridgestone Potenza RE001. Today my fren was looking at my tyres and he told me that my tyres were installed wrongly. I knew that RE001 is directional tyre but since it were installed till now, i hv not even looking at the thread direction. Please advice which is the correct direction:

bridgestone_potenza_re001_adrenalin.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ma...1_adrenalin.jpg

If I am now standing in front of my car and looking to the bonnet direction, should all my tyres be installed as shown on the above photo? The thread (sharp point) should be pointing downwards for all fours tyres, rite? Currently, the passenger side thread is pointing downward but the driver side thread is pointing upward . They shouldnt be pointing at the opposite direction, rite?

What is the complication if the tyres direction were installed wrongly as what i hv mention? i am having quite bad fc (will never over 13). is it bcoz of this? oso will it be dangerous? so worry now

Please advice. Thank you very much

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

er, i am not using bridgestone, so really cant comment much, but generally, the pointed groove, should be facing the front, as like the picture shown.

you can check the directional arrow on the sidewall, to see if it indicate the direction or not... if i am not wrong, this set of tyres should indicate the word 'outside' on the sidewall of the tyres... and hence, the tyres may not be facing the same direction..

cheers

Edited by Shawyz

Neutral Newbie

If you look at the side of the tyre, there is wording "OUTSIDE" marked on this tyre. If you are able to see the word outside, then there is nothing wrong with the tyre. See this for example.

http://www.xxxxxxx.com/articles/viewartic...14162155043.jpg

Beside the tyre is Asymmetrical in Design and so the left side thread and the right side thread is mirror image of each other.

http://www.potenza-adrenalin.com/

Edited by Chinsian

RE001 is NOT uni-directional, meaning it can be used in either fwd or backward direction. But the right side must be mounted on the rim.

The picture you attached shows clearly the edge with huge chunks of rubber is facing out of the car, so as long as your each of your tyres are mounted on the rim as shown in the picture you are OK.

Hope that's helpful. sly.gif

hi all,

really thks alot for the info. really got scared when my fren so it was installed wrongly. phew...! [sweatdrop] heheeee...now no worried liao [bounce2]

thks again all for the help [;)]

if it is directional tyres, the tyre wall would have something written like "outside" or the direction of rotation arrow...

Neutral Newbie

Directional will have a rotation direction printed on the sidewall. However, RE001 is not directional (uni-directional to be more accurate).

Asymetrical tyre which RE001 is have "inside" and "outside" printed on the sidewall. The tyre have to be installed with the "outside" facing out [sweatdrop] .

I have yet to come across asymetrical uni-directional tyres. If there are, they would have different thread for the left and right.

Edited by Scaglietti

hi all,

really thks alot for the info. really got scared when my fren so it was installed wrongly. phew...! [sweatdrop] heheeee...now no worried liao [bounce2]

thks again all for the help [;)]

it LOOKS directional. but dun worry it's not [;)]

ur fren speaks based on the norm for "v" shaped thread, so he's not trying to scare u, but maybe he didn't know about this special case. normally the V is for cutting thru water and mut point towards the front of the vehicle. but this tyre is strange [laugh]

[reply]I have yet to come across asymetrical uni-directional tyres. If there are, they would have different thread for the left and right. [reply]

Advan Neova AD-05 / AD-06 was one such tyre, asymmetrical AND directional. So there were left and right specific tyres. Was a nightmare for dealers to stock [dizzy]

But it was a fantastic tyre, much better in my opinion than its replacement the AD-07.

Here's a photo.

pic_neova_01.jpg

Edited by Paddie

[reply]re001 is a outside inside tyres[reply]

Yes the RE001 is asymmetrical but not directional. Meaning a tyre that was on the left side of the car can still be fitted to the right side, as long as the inside-outside relationship is maintained. AD-05/06 on the other hand cannot. Left is always left and right is always right, and in addition to that there is inside and outside.