Alfa servicing?

Jubilong

Neutral Newbie

Just checking if the shops mentioned here handle diesel models as well?

Anyone know a shop that does?

Neutral Newbie

had bad experience(s) at AC. would strongly advice against them.

AS is better, though a tad more expensive.

but for general servicing i just go to Autodynamac... i've seen a couple of 156/Mitos there too.

Had a very bad experience with AC as well....now only use Peter...

Had a very bad experience with AC as well....now only use Peter...

Are you Jeff? R5 > Punto > Fiat Coupe Jeff?

Neutral Newbie

Urgent advice needed!! My driver side window unable to wind up after winding down. Any quick fixes?

Unfortunately there is no quick fix. Your window regulator kaput, time to replace. Less than $300 if yours is 147, 156 or GT. 1 hour job.

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

Might just be hi-jacking this thread a little bit, apologies for that because I think I can only start a new thread after a certain number of postings.

Nontheless, I'm still writing about servicing stuff, so please pardon me.

Just bought a 7.5 year old Alfa 147 Selespeed.

Got it from Eurospeed, and I must say it was a horrible experience, but that's a separate story altogether.

Anyway, got the car and immediately realised a whole list of issues (Eurospeed washed their hands off totally even when I reported the issues immediately over the nxt 2-3 days after taking over the car as I discover them).

I stumbled upon Alfa Sportivo (AS) after some surfing and immediately sent the car in for a check to solve all the problems I noted. Peter helped changed the front shock mountings, air filter, engine oil, fix the passenger side airbag cover (yes it was fell off!) and other miscellaneous stuff.

Peter also detected that I had an actuator leak which resulted in the Selespeed oil constantly being low and the gears not engaging (I now have to top up the oil every 3 days or so to avoid the problem). To replace the actuator will be $3.8K. Also I just found out that the timing belt had to be changed every 60K km and its due for a change as well, which means another $800 plus service fee to actually replace those parts at AS. On top of this, I also realised that ever since I got the car back from AS the car is very jerky when moving off from a cold start (feels like its about to stall) but the problem goes away once u move up to gear 2 and drive for a couple of minutes.

Being in my predicament, I am hoping to get some good advice from the community.

1) Is it worth my while to make the best of the lemon purchase and dump in the $4.6K to fix it up so and drive it till its COE is up? The car just past 180K km, and apart from from the jerkiness and having to top up the Selespeed oil (which will be solved if I replace the actuator) its a actually a rather enjoyable drive on the highway.

2) Would anyone in the community be able to hook me up with a second hand actuator that might safe me a little money.

3) If I do keep the car, what do I need to do myself to maintain the car between servicings at the workshop? I keep reading about high engine oil consumptions and all and wonder if there are simple fluid/oil top ups that owners can be diligent about between servicings so as to avoid breakdowns and other unpleasant events.

4) How often do I need to bring the car to AS and typically what serving do I expect to be done?

I know I sound rather ignorant, and I can say I haven't felt foolish about the very impulsive purchase, but I do want to keep the car if I have a choice, and I hope you folks in the club can point me to some light at the end of this tunnel.

Please help!

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

Might just be hi-jacking this thread a little bit, apologies for that because I think I can only start a new thread after a certain number of postings.

Got it from Eurospeed, and I must say it was a horrible experience, but that's a separate story altogether.

Anyway, got the car and immediately realised a whole list of issues (Eurospeed washed their hands off totally even when I reported the issues immediately over the nxt 2-3 days after taking over the car as I discover them).

I stumbled upon Alfa Sportivo (AS) after some surfing and immediately sent the car in for a check to solve all the problems I noted. Peter helped changed the front shock mountings, air filter, engine oil, fix the passenger side airbag cover (yes it was fell off!) and other miscellaneous stuff.

Peter also detected that I had an actuator leak which resulted in the Selespeed oil constantly being low and the gears not engaging (I now have to top up the oil every 3 days or so to avoid the problem). To replace the actuator will be $3.8K. Also I just found out that the timing belt had to be changed every 60K km and its due for a change as well, which means another $800 plus service fee to actually replace those parts at AS. On top of this, I also realised that ever since I got the car back from AS the car is very jerky when moving off from a cold start (feels like its about to stall) but the problem goes away once u move up to gear 2 and drive for a couple of minutes.

Being in my predicament, I am hoping to get some good advice from the community.

1) Is it worth my while to make the best of the lemon purchase and dump in the $4.6K to fix it up so and drive it till its COE is up? The car just past 180K km, and apart from from the jerkiness and having to top up the Selespeed oil (which will be solved if I replace the actuator) its a actually a rather enjoyable drive on the highway.

2) Would anyone in the community be able to hook me up with a second hand actuator that might safe me a little money.

3) If I do keep the car, what do I need to do myself to maintain the car between servicings at the workshop? I keep reading about high engine oil consumptions and all and wonder if there are simple fluid/oil top ups that owners can be diligent about between servicings so as to avoid breakdowns and other unpleasant events.

4) How often do I need to bring the car to AS and typically what serving do I expect to be done?

I know I sound rather ignorant, and I can say I haven't felt foolish about the very impulsive purchase, but I do want to keep the car if I have a choice, and I hope you folks in the club can point me to some light at the end of this tunnel.

Please help!

Hi Hydrocort,

You may get better response should you post your experience over at, Alfa 159 part II thread.

I send mine for servicing every 5k km clocked and check engine oil, selespeed oil and whatever other oil you can find, once a week and some times more. Engine oil level low or selespeed oil level low, just top it up. All cars need engine oil, so technically all car owners should check engine oil, not only Alfa Romeo.

I had my share of bad luck with AR too. Not long after getting my car, i had the accumulator and electric pump changed. 2 wheel bearings, 1 power window failed on me and lower arms. Painful it can be, but when she is running fine, it is rewarding.

You mentioned she is 7.5 yrs old, so she needs attention. Give her TLC and she'll respond. As for the jerkiness you'd experience, did you warm her up? I hope you do, coz we don't run 2.4km without warming up too.

Actuator, i'm sorry, of no help here. Maybe the older birds can. Good luck and wish you can enjoy your ride soon.

Best wishes

This may come a little too late but u should send the car to EA/AS/AC for an evaluation before buying the car. Typical used car dealers will not sell you the car with a whole lot of knowledge on its background. If the used car dealer refuses your request, look elsewhere. It's a lesson that will come in handy when u buy another used Alfa. Don't give up on it!

Anyway, the pre 159 generation owners will be more familiar with your experience as the 159 itself is not an oil drinker and runs on timing chain. The problems you mentioned are typical of any car that age. You've done well in getting AS to rectify the issues. My advice is pay for a new actuator. You'll have peace of mind that way. There's also no harm sending the car to EA to get a quote. Timing belt change is a must, actually it's 50k cos there are a few incidences of belts snapping at 50k. To ans your questions specifically,

1) If you want to drive this car to coe end, yes, pay to replace those critical parts. It's expensive but at least the car will run well. I don't recommend topping up selespeed oil as the actuator will eventually give way and we don't know when. The jerkiness, on cold starts is not really an issue as long as your actuators are fine. Point is selespeed will just be a little jerky, like a manual, so just enjoy it.

2) not sure about 2nd hand actuator but i heard City Auto, opp AS fixed one on a Fiat. AS should have used ones too. Again, i just rather go new unless i'm prepared to scrap the car any time.

3) The routine checks for this car is the engine oil, minimum at least a 40 weight oil, but i suggest for at least Mobil 10-50, easily available at their petrol shops. Do check your oil level once a week. I nvr check my other oils as with regular svc, the levels for the others do not really drop.

4) Typical svc interval is 10k. U can go 5k but there really isn't a need unless yr pushing the car real hard. the TS is not a RX8 rotary so the manufacturers interval is good enough. just ensure you always have the engine oil levels near top mark.

and ultimately, the engine thrives on high revs with that lovely throaty roar. You're driving the best sounding 4 cyl Alfa has built in recent times. It likes to be driven hard.

Hi Hydrocort,

It is good that you managed to bring the car in to AS. However, as sometimes there are simply too many cars for them to deal with, they might overlook things so you must be prepared to arm yourself with some mechanical knowledge. To advise any further, the 1st thing you need to do is to DIG out the car's history.

1) When was the clutch last changed?

2) When was the transmission fluid last change? (NOT SELESPEED)

3) When was the brake fluids last changed? (And corresponding brake parts)

4) When was ANYTHING last changed?

Please see servicing schedule and figure out where you are now. Please note distance is in MILES.

http://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/alfa_147_156..._schedule.shtml

For the actuator, just change it. You might not know if you end up with another one with a very short life span.

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

Please help!

Hey there,

I know how it feels, i just got my 147 not long ago either and after awhile the Selespeed pump crapped itself and i was stuck on the road. The suspension bushings have also gave way. I had the pump cleaned and it was working fine for awhile but after 2 weeks, it was caput again. This also after balancer and tesioner belt and bearings gave way too.

I decided to bite the bullet and send the car to EA for a whole long list of stuff to check on and do. The guys at EA are pretty cool and freindly and they updated me constantly over the phone while was in ICT. I ended up with a recon pump and everything else replaced. They can do recon actuators as well. The recon pump is a temp fix till i get a new pump ordered in.

My take is, go to EA, AS or AC and find out the service history of your car first and get the actuator and other bits at the same time changed. A recon actuator is around 1k to replace from EA i think. While a brand new one will cost 2k odd. While you're at it, do everything at the same time for a peace of mind and drive the car to COE expires like me.

BTW, what was the damage from AS for the shock mountings? Did they have stock? I wanna check on my bushings as well.

Neutral Newbie

Hey there,

I know how it feels, i just got my 147 not long ago either and after awhile the Selespeed pump crapped itself and i was stuck on the road. The suspension bushings have also gave way. I had the pump cleaned and it was working fine for awhile but after 2 weeks, it was caput again. This also after balancer and tesioner belt and bearings gave way too.

I decided to bite the bullet and send the car to EA for a whole long list of stuff to check on and do. The guys at EA are pretty cool and freindly and they updated me constantly over the phone while was in ICT. I ended up with a recon pump and everything else replaced. They can do recon actuators as well. The recon pump is a temp fix till i get a new pump ordered in.

My take is, go to EA, AS or AC and find out the service history of your car first and get the actuator and other bits at the same time changed. A recon actuator is around 1k to replace from EA i think. While a brand new one will cost 2k odd. While you're at it, do everything at the same time for a peace of mind and drive the car to COE expires like me.

BTW, what was the damage from AS for the shock mountings? Did they have stock? I wanna check on my bushings as well.

Hi MKS 14, thanks for all the info, makes me feel alot better. I will post my developments in a separate reply to all. Anways, left the receipt in office but I rem 2 items was changed and it cost about 300 excluding labor. Let me dig out the receipt and pm u the actual staff changed. Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Really nice to hear that there are folks out there who can emphatise.

Any case, latest updates. Found a site called EBSpares which the uk forums rave about. Apparently the ship quality Alfa parts for good prices. The following is the quote I received.

1.8 & 2.0 Cam Belt

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Really nice to hear that there are folks out there who can emphatise.

Any case, latest updates. Found a site called EBSpares which the uk forums rave about. Apparently the ship quality Alfa parts for good prices. The following is the quote I received.

1.8 & 2.0 Cam Belt

Edited by Theoldjaffa

I think change timing belt kit, AC/AS/EA should have. It's just the "strange" stuff they might not have stock. If locally everything has stock, I suggest you pay abit more and get it done quickly, then drag on. Your car is depreciating every day you don't drive it.

Neutral Newbie

I think change timing belt kit, AC/AS/EA should have. It's just the "strange" stuff they might not have stock. If locally everything has stock, I suggest you pay abit more and get it done quickly, then drag on. Your car is depreciating every day you don't drive it.

Yup totally agree. If they have all the stocks in place even if its a little more expensive I'll go for it here. But given what AS quoted the difference is close to 3K. If so, might have no choice.

Neutral Newbie

Hi MKS 14, thanks for all the info, makes me feel alot better. I will post my developments in a separate reply to all. Anways, left the receipt in office but I rem 2 items was changed and it cost about 300 excluding labor. Let me dig out the receipt and pm u the actual staff changed. Cheers!

Cool, thanks let me know. Also if you are going ahead with your order. I don't mind ordering some stuff from EBspares as well. We can share the cost of shipping.

↡ Advertisement