Burning Smell From Brakes

Typhoonz

Asking for my buddy.

He was washing his car about an hour after he came home. As he was washing his front left rims, he rinse it down and there was steam coming out. He move his hand nearer and felt that heat was emitting from the brakes. He was puzzled that he didn't do any hard braking and it'a already an hour since he reached home. He also mentioned that for his car was vibrating a little like it's going over speed bumps for about a minute when he was on his way home. The vibrations disappeared after a while so he didn't think much about it.

Anyone has similiar experiences? What's the possible cause?

↡ Advertisement

possible depend on wat car he driving

some japan cars have very small brakes (eg fit/jazz) and the heat built up actually a lot

the rotor surface migth be cool but inside the rotor bell/calliper area might still be hot

best to invest in a IR temp gun to ensure cool temp b4 washing

calliper/pad temp can go as high as 100+ deg for non slotted/stock pads

Did he just changed his brake pads? Was the pads fitted properly?? It might be a case of brake pads not fitted properly and still in contact with the brake rotor when the car is on the move. [wave]

Asking for my buddy.

He was washing his car about an hour after he came home. As he was washing his front left rims, he rinse it down and there was steam coming out. He move his hand nearer and felt that heat was emitting from the brakes. He was puzzled that he didn't do any hard braking and it'a already an hour since he reached home. He also mentioned that for his car was vibrating a little like it's going over speed bumps for about a minute when he was on his way home. The vibrations disappeared after a while so he didn't think much about it.

Anyone has similiar experiences? What's the possible cause?

Suspect his brake pad heat trapped, when you pour water, it release the heat immediately which cause the brake and disk sudden cooling thus emit this smell. No good to the disk as this may tend to warp the disk.

Brake piston jammed? Happened to me before. The brake disc on one side was scorching hot compared to the other side. Got a metal burning smell too.

I can't remember. It was quite some time ago. Mine was a lorry though. Happened to high mileage vehicle.

Perhaps u can ask your fren to jack up the front and see whether the tyres can rotate freely. If it's brake piston jammed, the tyres cannot even be rotated at all!

Oh then it shouldn't be... He still able to drive it... In fact he won't even have noticed anything amiss if he didin't wash his car...

My lorry still can be driven too. Just that when I parked the vehicle there was a very strong metal burning smell and when the mechanic jacked up the front, the wheel cannot be spin at all.

since he is driving such an old car most likely he need to service his brakes caliper

just change the caliper repair kits...

if you need this service PM me

↡ Advertisement