TIres Question for GOLF

Prodigysaint

wow.. bro.. where u get such in depth info man..

but still can use right?? but at 4.459% faster?? it's really not as bad since our Speed Cam is program to shoot at between +5km/hr to +10km/hr right??

if it's ok to use.. i'll get my friend to buy to tires liao

THanks bro.. [thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup]

best not to go beyond 3% increase in overall diameter (wheel+tyres) as it can lead to brake inefficiencies (or worst case, failures)

I always consult this tire size calculator : http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Speedo error is just one thing, like what bro kyojin mentioned, it also increases the risk of brake component failure if exceeded by more than 3%. If can't find the proper size for a given brand/model of tire, better to consider other brands/models. Worst case, change rims. Perhaps downsize to 15" if it gives you more choices.

so bro.. if i were to change the brakes to better ones..

that will allow me to continue to use it right??.. this question for my own.. cos my stock was 195/55/15 upgraded to 225/45/17... difference is 6.18% hehehhe

As far as I've heard, the wrong tire size not only causes speedo error, but may also lead to higher drivetrain wear. I'm not absolutely sure if upgrading your brakes alone will help matters. According to this article, it says that some auto transmission systems & braking computer systems may get confused with the RPM VS speed readings & thus lead to premature failure. http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=wheels#plussizing

To play safe, it's better to source for alternative tires of a more suitable size ASAP.

Guess not may people consider the size of contact patch when they decide to 'upgrade' their tyres ..... shakehead.gif

Sure, its nice, sporty and probably more 'garang' looking to have a 17" tyre compared to a 15" wheel but correspondingly, the contact patch would also shrink. That would affect the ability to stop the car in time as well as its road holding capabilities in the wet too especially if the car body is relatively light.

bros can GOLF 195/65/16 be replaced using a 205/55/16??

thanks for the feedback...

I suggest you don't as besides the "speedo" error, you are probably altering the cars' handling. you may get very uneven wear on the front tyres too. If my maths is correct, using a "55" profile when stanard is "65" means using 18" rims. Too costly just for the looks.

do you meant your tyre size now is 195/65-16? [sweatdrop] hope you got it right

my known if is 195/65/15 nest size 205/55/16 or 225/45-17 or 225/40-18 for GOLF

all u can always check your car book which recommended by car maker the best mechanically and warranty.(most car manual had this info nowaday)

those info you found here or in the net is for general info only,and also dont be OVER cautious too.

You are absolutely right for the right of thumb. However, you might also want to know that there are things like affecting the setting/setup, shaft, camber...etc when you do that. It might/will lead of early wear and failures in many case....then again, Singapore cars do not run that long in mileage and life.

bros can GOLF 195/65/16 be replaced using a 205/55/16??

thanks for the feedback...

My advise is don't do it. You are thinking of keeping your rim and using a tire that has a lower profile and wider. A lower profile tire has harder side walls which means a harder ride. Uneven tire wear is a serious issue and it impacts the handling also. Wider tires does not mean better control and drive. I previously upgraded from 215/55/16 to 235/45/17 (Conti CSC 2). the drive was terrible, handling was poor and worst the tires had to be replaced after 28K km. For Conti cars, try and stick to the manufactures recommendations, afterall, they have invested alot in testing and setup of the suspension and chassis.

Anyone has the lugnut adaptor which i can loan for a few days? Bought a 2nd hand golf, but dealer didn't have the lugnut adaptor....now i wanna change my bearings also cannot cos my mechanic doesn't have it.

Enquired from Volkswagen, but not worth to buy the adaptor from them as the nuts also have to be purchase together with the adaptor, altogether costing $100+++......

Appreciate anyone's help on this.

↡ Advertisement