Extra leg space charge extra on Airline?

Leepee

I think he makes himself silly by complaining. This really shows the selfish and kiasu mentality of the writer (perhaps Singaporean too)

I believe everyone also likes to have that exit seat with the extra leg room.

He makes it sound like he is doing the airline a fovour by taking up the 'unpopular' seat where he has to shoulder the responsibility of opening the door during emergency.

http://news.asiaone.com/News/the%2BStraits...0815-82433.html

Budget air: Extra charges get ridiculous

Fri, Aug 15, 2008

The Straits Times

WITH recent increases in oil prices, airlines are devising ways to up their revenues against surging costs.

This is particularly apparent among low-cost carriers (LCCs). Measures include charging for use of blankets and pillows, extra baggage and unusual-shaped cargo. I can understand this, as they are all related to costs.

However, I am quite perturbed that airlines such as Tiger Airways and Jetstar charge passengers who ask for seats in exit rows.

My problem is that exit rows are there for specific reasons, particularly related to safety, and if seats are available, they should be treated as regular seats. These seats are not comfort seats - in fact, one row does not even recline like regular seats. They have more space in front because it's a regulation, not so LCCs can regard them as luxury seats. Let's call a spade a spade. Besides, passengers in these seats have to assist in the event of emergency landing.

Perhaps LCCs would like to charge for use of oxygen masks and safety belts? After all, it can be argued it's a privilege to be alive. Yes, I'm bordering on ridicule, and so are these airlines.

Most times, I believe taller passengers would ask for such seats, so charging is discriminatory.

LCCs are caught between a rock and a hard place. With all the surcharges, they aren't really that low cost, yet they have to maintain this 'budget' tagline. Make no mistake, budget is the key word for your passengers.

Please rethink this exit-row seat surcharge. You only make yourselves look silly, by calling a necessity a luxury, and a regulation a comfort.

Liu Tact Yew

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I think that you have gotten the writer wrong. He's not saying that he's doing the airline a favour but instead the exit seat should not be charged a additional 'luxury' fee. As i'm not one who would like to have the exit seat, I would be thinking that if the seat is offered to me without additional costs, I would then take it.

I am sure MANY people also has the same preference to request for this row of seats, expecially in the supercramped budget airlines seating arrangement. I would whenever I travel long-distance to US/UK!

So I think its not him alone that is asking for such seat everyday.

If there is a special demand for such 'more-leg-room' seats, naturally the budget airline must come up with a demand-supply solution to allocate such seats!

If there is a special demand for such 'more-leg-room' seats, naturally the budget airline must come up with a demand-supply solution to allocate such seats!

There already is a demand-supply solution. Pay more lor. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

I'm not sure if there's long haul trips for budget airline in the first place. And he din mention in his posting that he demanded for such a seat. He's just commenting on the why is there a need to impose an additional fee on such seat. His point is the extra leg room was not a specific design of the plane but rather a by-product of the safety requirements. As such, why should it be charged more. However, if there's a demand for such seat, then it makes economic sense to intro such a tax.

Neutral Newbie

it has nothing to do with safety...

btw, i'm not the writer

I just think that maybe sometimes we are too fast in drawing conclusions

I am sure MANY people also has the same preference to request for this row of seats, expecially in the supercramped budget airlines seating arrangement. I would whenever I travel long-distance to US/UK!

I like this kind of seat too especially those that only come with 2 seats and depending on the arrangement, you get to talk to the [gorgeous] when seating face to face.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement