Lornie jams persist

Jc777

Neutral Newbie

more ERP, opps, good years ahead???

Lornie jams persist

Vehicles entering Lornie Road at a faster rate; LTA to widen road in stages

By Christopher Tan

ln-via.jpg

Motorists complain that the $34 million viaduct, which took four years to complete, might even have worsened congestion along Lornie Road (towards Farrer Road) during peak hours. -- ST PHOTO: FRANCIS ONG

THE new Lornie Viaduct - built to speed up traffic flow at the Braddell-Lornie junction - is barely a week old, but it is already chock-a-block in the mornings and early evenings.

Motorists complain that the $34 million viaduct, which took four years to complete, might even have worsened congestion along Lornie Road (towards Farrer Road) during peak hours.

Ms Jalene Chua, 39, a manager at a local company, said: 'I was really excited when I learnt that the new viaduct was finally ready for use after four long years. So you can imagine my dismay when I was stuck in an even worse traffic jam on Monday morning.'

Ms Chua, who lives in Lorong Chuan, was on the viaduct around 7.45am.

To beat the jam, she left earlier the next day. 'Flow on the viaduct was smooth, but there was a massive jam right after it, all the way to Farrer Road. I am taking at least five minutes more than before the viaduct was open,' she said.

Checks by The Straits Times confirmed this.

Retired traffic planner Joseph Yee, 63, reckons the viaduct is 'funnelling' vehicles into Lornie Road 'at a faster rate', and that could have contributed to the bigger jam.

A Land Transport Authority spokesman said it is aware of the situation. 'To alleviate the traffic condition, we will widen Lornie Road in stages,' he told The Straits Times. 'Works have started and will continue over the next few months.'

↡ Advertisement

since it's a week old... alot of people missed the sign at toa payoah ..that for those going to thomson should keep left.... instead they were diverted to the bridge and eventually have to u-turn at lornie road....

which eventually ...jam up the 1st lane there.....at lornie road... [rolleyes]

What this tells us is that LTA should ration the number of cars coming out of the estates at the source.

It doesn't have to be ERP gantries. Traffic lights will also do.

The smart LTA scholars should have known that putting more inlets instead of more outlets first would caused bigger jam.

Either they are not smart enough, or they are doing this for excuse to put up ERP gantry.

Many people are diverting from CTE to Lornie Rd due to ERP.

Now, it becomes inevitable that ERP will come to Lornie Rd much sooner to catch those $ escapees.

A Land Transport Authority spokesman said it is aware of the situation. 'To alleviate the traffic condition, we will widen Lornie Road in stages,' he told The Straits Times. 'Works have started and will continue over the next few months.'

And how are they proposing to do that?!? "Widening" the road by drawing one more lane, when that damn road is already so narrow?

Bad planning from LTA again! [furious]

Despite the news, the good thing is that the viaduct really smoothens the traffic during off-peak hours. Well, at least until the traffic lights outside SICC.. I hope LTA has plans to remove this first obstacle.

SICC is holy ground for the elites playing golf. Can't be touched.

That traffic light came about especially for them.

aiya... the set up ERP then charge at CTE same rates... all those wanna siam the CTE will lan lan disappear frm lornie rd ... thus hav no hav... no diff....

i rather they increase back the COE price.. control numbers of cars... must scrap at 10yrs except vintage cars. to reduce the number of cars is more efficient.... better roads... over capacity , back to square one

Looks like it's heading towards the same scenario as the flyover built in front of Bukit Timah. Traffic conditions worsen from at Clementi Road from King Albert Park. Even after ERP Gantry activated at Upper Bukit Timah, seems no change.

For such an outcome, $34m wasted. I would think they should at least widen Lornie Road first before building the viaduct.

I wonder what's the reasons not having an ERP Gantry along Lornie Road?

i think the chock point is further down at the mrt construction there, doono call what station

i notice that mrt construction slows traffic down considerably as the road is winding and padded with steel plate roads

I use that road to travel to work everyday.

Right after the new viaduct was opened, the following Monday was jammed like crazy man.

This is because the cars from Toa Payoh are able to join in the fray at a much faster rate but there is a bottle neck at Lornie Road which causes the jam.

What seemed to be providing the solution has instead become a problem as it made the already jammed up road even worse... [shakehead]

Neutral Newbie

classic example of bad planning. pwned by LTA again [thumbsdown]

And how are they proposing to do that?!? "Widening" the road by drawing one more lane, when that damn road is already so narrow?

Bad planning from LTA again! [furious]

SICC is holy ground for the elites playing golf. Can't be touched.

That traffic light came about especially for them.

Haha... can dig a tunnel for these elites, straight into the graveyard at Sime Road !

Will remind them that life is short.. [sly]

↡ Advertisement