New Renault Megane

Dualie

Latest pre-launch prices....$83,888

1.6L 105bhp 4AT....

0-100kph: 13.9s....

[sleeping]

Actually, I'm amazed by the horrendous performance specs of the new megane. Its a total dissappointment.

My family owns a megane2 for the past 5 years and its still a very comfortable and quiet ride now (it has over 120K on its odometer). One of the the worse things about this car is the slow pickup.

Now i can't imagine how this new megane will drive, considering that both the BHP and torque rating is significantly lower than its predecessor. The weight of the new and old megane is also similar ....[bigcry]

↡ Advertisement

the 1.6L engine has 2 variants....

105bhp and VVT 115bhp....

(old engines lah)....

there's a 1.4Turbo 130bhp engine, but sadly, no auto transmission yet....

gotta wait....

all the European Car manufacturers are focussing on their diesel technology....

hence you'll see rather outdated technology for their engines....

fortunately they have the 2.0Turbo 240bhp 3Door RS model....

but too bad only in manual guise,

which will definitely hurt sales, considering the closest Competitor would be the Scirocco R 2.0TSI 256bhp 6DSG RWD....

ever seen the Focus ST on the road???

i can safely say i have yet to see the facelifted version on our roads....

cos manual guise does hurt sales....

it's obvious people in such market of hot hatch wants the convenience of auto-gearbox....

if not why Subaru has to make the A-Line for their STi and Mitsubishi to make the SST for their EVO models???

In SG its just to show off. In other places its for performance. I for one would never buy this in "auto" unless its a self shifting manual like DSG. Why would you want an auto box on the successor to the best handling fwd car???

it's all about the convenience of driving an auto in traffic light and jam infested cities like Singapore....

-_-

Don't understand why so many people still think that auto is good for city traffic.

I switched from auto to manual and find that manual is far more easier to modulate in city traffic than auto.

Plus, I am more patient and tolerant when driving manual than auto, especially so when road users suddenly chut patterns on the road. Probably, I just need to lift off the gas and car will slow down immediately. Whereas, I need to step on the brake like mad on an auto car to avoid these idiots. (Sometimes, the car picks up speed instead [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] ).

Only issue with manual is being stucked on an upslope (e.g. slotting cards at carparks - why must they build readers at the slope????? [rifle] ).

the clutching and manually chaning gear can be really tiring....

why not let the car do the job for you???

This are things said by ppl who can't drive manual. My mother and sister can drive manual.. hah.

Unless it's dual clutch la.

it's all about the convenience of driving an auto in traffic light and jam infested cities like Singapore....

-_-

Thats why I bought a mazda 2/demio [:p]

If I was going to buy a CTR, focus RS, megane sport, etc it would have to be a manual!

This are things said by ppl who can't drive manual. My mother and sister can drive manual.. hah.

sure anybody can drive a manual....

buy why would you, in a normal car, when there's the auto option???

and to me,

there's no point to drive a sports car in cities....

i'm waiting for the new Changi Race Track to be completed....then we'll talk about sports/ performance cars....

Neutral Newbie

sure anybody can drive a manual....

buy why would you, in a normal car, when there's the auto option???

and to me,

there's no point to drive a sports car in cities....

i'm waiting for the new Changi Race Track to be completed....then we'll talk about sports/ performance cars....

I'd only buy a car like this in manual spec, never an auto. Not that manual is better per se, it is just the kind of thing that would go with this kind of car in my opinion.

Unfortunately, paddles seem to be the choice of the masses. Oh well, I'll enjoy stick shifts while i still can =)

My current room temperature hatchback is a manual too.

I'd only buy a car like this in manual spec, never an auto. Not that manual is better per se, it is just the kind of thing that would go with this kind of car in my opinion.

Unfortunately, paddles seem to be the choice of the masses. Oh well, I'll enjoy stick shifts while i still can =)

My current room temperature hatchback is a manual too.

your room must be quite warm.. [:p]

All say troublesome, I say lazy (and sometimes, incompetent)

I will get manual whenever possible, unless really no other choice. <_<

Neutral Newbie

your room must be quite warm.. [:p]

I think the Renaultsport Megane is a hot hatch... then mags are now classifying GTI's as warm hatches...

So my little Bravo T-Jet has to go down another level... to lukewarm or room temperature.

Used to be GTI = Hot, Bravo = Warm. Thanks to Ford RS, Megane RS, Roc R & GTI R... the classes have moved down to make way for the new benchmarks

↡ Advertisement