Marriott Vacation club

Hosaybo

Hi,

Anyone heard of Mariott vacation club membership??? Understand that it is some sort of a timeshare. Is it worth it??? Would like comments or inputs from those who actually bought it.

↡ Advertisement

it's worth it, if you have the budget and likes to travel. I do no have the money to travel too frequent now, priority not there yet. I went 1 or 2 times just to get the free gift haahaha

I went for the presentation twice. [lipsrsealed]

Its good for those who travel frequently, at least once a year. You can accumulate the points for 2 years to go further destination also.

The package is worth if you "committed" to travel more in the future. You are actually paying monthly for the future resort staying with Marriott.

I think the breakeven is either in 5 years or 10 years (depend which package you are taking).

I din sign up..

Went for it once but dont like the idea at all. And u have to get ur own air ticket to the location of the resort. Using the points for the air ticket is too expensive.

Now they keep bugging me to go for their presentation again by email n phone. [furious] Ask me to travel all the way to Phuket for a free 3D2N stay to view their presentation. [hur] I afraid go there liao, never sign cannot come back SG or kena kick out of the resort n no place to stay. [laugh]

Do ur maths n think very hard b4 u sign on the dotted line.

Edited by Adrianli

I tried searching for more info on the internet.

Basically it was launch in Singapore 2 years back. That time, they selling 0.9cents USD per point. Now they are selling at 1.05-1.15USD per point (seems like it has appreciated) depending on how many points you get from them. Basic is 20,000 point which can convert to about a week stay at their resort depending on location.

Maintenance fee to pay is year abt 750 for 20000 points. Based on the cost above, it cost is abt 1/2 a Jap saloon car (~S$32K) [jawdrop] .... that's a big commitment.

According to them, when initial launch the price was only 75 cents per point and now is USD 1.15 and will be USD 1.25 soon. [sweatdrop]

Every booking/redemption still need to pay for the admin fee.

The guy presented to me showed me his past record, quite a number of doctors and bankers signed up.

ok, its DAMN worth it if

1. You are already travelling at least 1 week EVERY year.

2. You often travel to places whose standard of living is HIGHER than SG

2. Your trip usually consist of you and your family.

3. You are ALREADY staying in 5* hotels everytime you travel.

4. And You are about to go on a 1 month honeymoon in Europe ...

There are flexibility in how much you wanna purchase. Of cos the less points you buy, the less days you can redeem. I went last month, was quite gian until I heard about the price. Can buy a COE car !!! of cos they also provide instalments payment mode, but @ 6%, its no joke. Total outlay can buy a pica !! If I was introduced to this before I went for my Europe trip last year, I would have seriously considered .....

No admin fee for booking/redemption. Just call the reservations to check out the dates you want for which resort. Then use your points.... no other fees/tax etc necessary.

The only fees you pay apart from the membership price, is the yearly maintenance dues which is mentioned in above post.

The breakeven I calculated, works out to about 18 years for me (on average). Depending on where you do your hols, the more expensive the market rates, the more you stand to gain. Also whether you go during peak or off peak.

Neutral Newbie

Have friends with the membership. You should be the 5* hotel stayer type. I will never put a few dozen grand down for it because I prefer (at times) to stay off the beaten track (cottages, B&B etc). If I bought the membership, I will be hard pressed every year to stay in Marriot chain hotels.

Wa, like that if bought early at 0.75USD when just started can sell and make a profit???? wonder got any 2nd hand mkt or not.

overall, my conclusion is this is more of a lifestyle thing. As mention, earlier "lots of bankers and doctors" bought..... guess got to be financially above average to pursue this kind of stuff. Anything lower could means financial suicide.

Well... you can't win all...

At US$0.75/point , the exchange rate was ~ 1.60 I think.

At US$1.20/point, the exchange rate is now about 1.43 (3 months back lagi better at 1.38)

So... which is better deal.... I too lazy to calculate. [:p]

No 2nd hand market. Heard that there are some looking to sell theirs, but in such situations, its usually sold off at a loss.

↡ Advertisement