Thinking of an "up"grade to a Conti

Kraft

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I'm with a 2007 Lancer EX 1.5 now, but actually thinking of changing to a 2-3 yr old A3 1.8T or a Mini Cooper (an S would be of a different price). Both able to find one below 90k.

Not sure if it would be a wise decision or not.

Is the A3 also CVT? Coz i've been reading about the A4 (around the same price as well), but having doubts on it dies within a year or so.

I know I can't have the confidence of a almost trouble free Japanese 1.6 saloon, but definitely something that doesn't breakdown every other month...

Any advice??

↡ Advertisement

Do you mean your yr old lancer breaks down very often thats why you want to change car?

Its quite a huge jump(price wise) from a 1.5l jap car to conti.

i was in your position too a month ago.. wanted to upgrade to a conti and i was looking at cars ard the 130k range... because i got a hughe pay raise but till now i didnt buy anything yet... and i am glad i didnt.. firstly my new work place doesnt have enough parking lots for us till the whole property is up and secondly with the outlook of the US market being so bleak.. i think.. better to save abit for rainy day.. dun noe wat might happen.... just my thoughts.

If it's base on dollars and cents...then it would be unwise to sell you '07 car, cos of the huge depreciation.

If you are changing cos you fell in love with the A3....then it's beyond logic/sensibility.

i don't know about TS but for me.. it was more like i could finally afford a conti and i wanted to get 1.. its not abt my current car breaking down or other reason.. and of course i like the 3 series or the A4 too.

Hi guys,

I'm with a 2007 Lancer EX 1.5 now, but actually thinking of changing to a 2-3 yr old A3 1.8T or a Mini Cooper (an S would be of a different price). Both able to find one below 90k.

Is the A3 also CVT? Coz i've been reading about the A4 (around the same price as well), but having doubts on it dies within a year or so.

I know I can't have the confidence of a almost trouble free Japanese 1.6 saloon, but definitely something that doesn't breakdown every other month...

Any advice??

If you are financially capable.. go for it.

Life is too short to enjoy..

you know what you want. [;)]

Edited by Espire

been driving an '03 Ford Focus for almost 3yrs and only broke down once.

so maybe can expect the more expensive A3/Mini to be more reliable wink.gif

Hi guys,

Any advice??

Unless you pay big bulk of your current ride with cash, I think its rather unwise for you to change now. Just tink of how much losses you going to incur if you change.

Neutral Newbie

that's why I dont know whether to follow my heart or brain!

I know i'll incur losses, but definitely there's the 'feel good' factor driving a mini or audi.

my lancer hasn't given me any problems, but i've lost any interest to it.

anyway, i wouldn't be driving much of it, coz driving and parking at work is crazily high.

parking just increased about $150 a month! (thank gdness petrol is coming down...for now)

i actually paid most of the lancer with cash...

i'm thinking if I can pay the same amount of installments for a conti, (just only of course a longer duration), wouldn't it be more worthwhile? haha

anyway i know i'll be paying car instalments for the next many years to come...so why not?

Hi guys,

Any advice??

Congrats, you must be making money somewhere to be thinking of this in current mkt situation.

Well done

sincerely

If you are referring to the 1.8TFSI for the A3, then it is running on S-tronic, or more commonly known as DSG gear box. It's a great small little package for this A3. PA/Audi actually brought it in with very high spec, OMV around 28K but was selling it for 118K when it was first launched in around Oct 07. So all the first batch owners kena chopped big time.

So, most of them about 1 year old now. Very hard to have one for resale so you need to really look out for it. Buying it 2nd hand will give you good value.

was in your shoe not too long ago.. was so fed up with myself being so 'po po ma ma.' Every day keep hankering with the conti and yet do nothing. And everytime i step into my KIA, i feel damn down again.

Keep telling myself to keep the money, and get high seeing the bank account go up every month.. but hor.. money not spent is just a number. So.. i just hack care and went for it.

Never regretted since. So, go for it!

Life is short. Most imptly is to do your sums right b4 you buy. For me, i think of worst case scenario, that is my biz failed, what will happen... (touch wood)

If can afford now, dont think so much liao.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks mate, will think through first given the current crisis.

Betta to save up my money or just go with my heart/greed. hahahha

Hi guys,

Any advice??

Bro, your Lancer EX is still very new. If you sell sure making a big loss. You think again..

Once you drive a conti, you wouldn't want to switch back...go for it...

That's one way to look at it. Another perspective:

Once i drove a conti, now scared to drive another one. [sweatdrop][laugh]

↡ Advertisement