Toyota Altis - VVTI Gear problem

Tyming

Neutral Newbie

What is this VVTI gear? My toyota is 3 rd old, yesterday while driving suddenly the engine indicator light on. I sent to BM for checking and said is VVTI gear spoilt. Need to change at S$800 !!!. Luckily my wife I argue and they give free since I service during the warranty period and the car got problem after few days out from the warranty.

IS the VVTI gear easy to spoil? The customer service said is due to poor maintenance. I told him that all my maintenance are from Toyota...he just keep quiet and say...aiyah sometimes it happened. Got like that meh?

↡ Advertisement

i also have an altis. age around 3.5yrs old.

could you share your driving habbit? are you the sort who will "floor acclerator" on green light kind? [:p]

i am rather light footed. so far did not encounter anything like this? [lipsrsealed]

Please provide more information on this VVTi gear that you mentioned so that i can take note of what symptom to watch out for should it occur.

Thanks!

I dun tink he meant gearbox at all. He probably meant the VVTI gear in the engine, some sort of gear that activate VVTI?

Edited by Fcw75

did you change your gearbox ATF as schedule? Toyota ATF Fluid last 40,000KM, but I always change at 30,000KM.

this guy is talking about gearbox loh

Edited by Iliketodrive

Maybe due to wear & tear. Your VVTi are managed by camshafts or some some call it rocker cam on the shaft. At the end of the shaft it's connected by timing gears and timing chain/belt. I suppose your mechanic is referring to such gears.

On the first pic is most likely the type which Toyota engine runs on: timing chain, and the gears are actually what we call sprockets. The shafts they are connected to are the camshafts or your VVTi.

The second pic is on timing belt and timing gears which are much broader in width to accommodate the belt(not very clear, hope u can see)

What your customer service said is not wrong. Yes all your maintenance is done at AD but U as the car owner should monitor the lubrication aka engine oil level.

I can understand what they face when dealing with customers who have no idea of what they are talking about. But hey that is not all bad, at least u get them replaced for free or under warranty...

Neutral Newbie

Its not the gear box, just the VVTI gear in the engine. I only realise it when I have the engine indicator light on. Does not feel anything wrong with my car. I am not the speedo type of driver. Also not speeding in MY too [laugh] . Only thing is whenever I am back MY, I usually have a HEAVY LOAD cargo back to SG. [sweatdrop][laugh][laugh][laugh] .

I do usually monitor the engine oil. My car is 100% service by BM and i usually just follow the package that they given me. So far the BM never say anything wrong with my car. The only thing is I mostly service my car at the woodlands centre. I do experience the servicing level is not that good compare to the main service centre but that's the nearest to my home.

I will just manually check my car about 1-2 weeks on the oil, etc. My car only been to Genting Highlands once.

I just want to know what I need to keep track on top of the usual BM service and manual checking. What's the cause of the problem?

hi there,

few years ago, my dad owned an altis too. the engine light lited up while driving and when it does, u will notice a drop in gear power and can feel 'hollow' when accelerating.

Sent to BM twice to get it solved free w warranty. the car was just few mths old at that time. quite disappointed coz its supposed to be toyota! first time they said fixed but it didnt so second time they said they changed the gear and i can see many colorful markings on the engine and parts...i guess they really did a throughly check.

Those agents normally will change more then they do.. single componet faulty, they change the related item as well.. My friends are all service adviser in C&C ,Opel and Honda, they told me that! Properly is one of your EFI closed loop sensor screwed-up.. your variable valve sensor?

Cannot be the damn gear gone.. those are manufacture to last.. unless you are a crazy driver!

My friend's Altis also encounter this problem few months ago. His bought his Altis only last year. He was quite disappointed as his previous 6 year old Corolla, the last batch of Japan made Corolla brought in by BM is problem free, although he doesn't send it for servicing regularly

Thai quality is really that lousy?

Well... well... well....

It is all depends on luck...

[lipsrsealed]

To me, if the break down is mainly due to wear and tear... so called consumable.. just accept it. [:p]

But, if item is having pre mature faulty...! Just said bo bain liao..! [blush]

Mine Tom Yam Altis is just a lives example..! [thumbsdown]

To date, spending almost S$1.5K just for pre mature break down of ABS Brake Actuator and Front Wheel bearings.

The most, important is got to know a trusty workshop whom is capable of diagnose and repair..... rather than some others.... really deserve a [rifle]

I think the workmanship, quality inspection standard is not so strict as Japan. Japanese takes their work very seriously and with pride. I am also driving a thailand assembled toyota, the standard of work is really [shakehead][shakehead]

What is this VVTI gear? My toyota is 3 rd old, yesterday while driving suddenly the engine indicator light on. I sent to BM for checking and said is VVTI gear spoilt. Need to change at S$800 !!!. Luckily my wife I argue and they give free since I service during the warranty period and the car got problem after few days out from the warranty.

IS the VVTI gear easy to spoil? The customer service said is due to poor maintenance. I told him that all my maintenance are from Toyota...he just keep quiet and say...aiyah sometimes it happened. Got like that meh?

The word VVTI is already a hint...."Very Very Terok Inside"

↡ Advertisement