Toyota Altis - VVTI Gear problem

Tyming

My dad's 1-year-old Altis also encounter gearbox problem. BM may not be able to give 5-year warranty anymore or they may have to increase their margin (car prices) in order to continue giving the 5-year warrant for their new cars.

Does it work this way? Toyota Japan won't compensate BM? It is some production issue right?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Does it work this way? Toyota Japan won't compensate BM? It is some production issue right?

Of course Toyota Japan won't compensate BM, that's why BM have to increase their own margin, selling price here is determined by BM not Toyota Japan. I believe the 5-year warrant is also not given by Toyota Japan but by the local agent, BM.

Of course Toyota Japan won't compensate BM, that's why BM have to increase their own margin, selling price here is determined by BM not Toyota Japan. I believe the 5-year warrant is also not given by Toyota Japan but by the local agent, BM.

depends.....

I reckon in most cases AD can claim back from the manufacturer unless it's under extended warranty whereby AD assumed the risks.

Few ADs even generously replaced "wear and tear" parts before your warranty expires (IF you maintain all your servicing there) since they can claim back from manufacturer and also to clear some of their spares inventory.

Edited by Kangadrool

depends.....

I reckon in most cases AD can claim back from the manufacturer unless it's under extended warranty whereby AD assumed the risks.

Few ADs even generously replaced "wear and tear" parts before your warranty expires (IF you maintain all your servicing there) since they can claim back from manufacturer and also to clear some of their spares inventory.

something like.......

if one buys a computer product from sim lim and it has problems, the retailer will ask u to go to the agent. Meaning retailer won't have to faint each time a customer comes back with a defective product.

Most of the time when I saw a car breakdown on road or highway, its usually a toyota. And I wonder why till now still so many ppl willing to pay extra to a thai made toyota??

Guess it because a cult liao

Most of the time when I saw a car breakdown on road or highway, its usually a toyota. And I wonder why till now still so many ppl willing to pay extra to a thai made toyota??

Guess it because a cult liao

I've been driving 38 years on the road unfortuneately I didn't see much toyota car broken down leh.  I have seen  quite a number of conti cars, Korean cars and mini vans.

So far I've droven 3 toyota cars, the last 2 cars all the way up to 10 years until scraped have no any major problems except changes of suspension and aircon fan coil.

My 1st toyota camry come to almost 3 years warranty expired, BM offerred to change the suspension FOC and then when reaching the 7th years I changed the suspension again until scraped.

My 2nd toyota altis 1.8L also changed suspension once in the 5th years and changed air-con fan coil and alternator in the 7th years until scraped.

Now my 3rd Altis is keeping my finger cross and hope nothing major happen :)

I think is all depend on luck.  For example, long time ago, I own a Sharp VCR that last me for 6 years without any problem. Then I bought a new Sharp VCR again but this time less than 6 months the recorder head gave problem and need to replace a new head, luckily still under warranty.  But after slighly more than 1 years the head gave problem again.  Then I decided not to use VCR and change to VCD Recorder.

Just my opinion :)

I've been driving 38 years on the road unfortuneately I didn't see much toyota car broken down leh. I have seen quite a number of conti cars, Korean cars and mini vans.

So far I've droven 3 toyota cars, the last 2 cars all the way up to 10 years until scraped have no any major problems except changes of suspension and aircon fan coil.

My 1st toyota camry come to almost 3 years warranty expired, BM offerred to change the suspension FOC and then when reaching the 7th years I changed the suspension again until scraped.

My 2nd toyota altis 1.8L also changed suspension once in the 5th years and changed air-con fan coil and alternator in the 7th years until scraped.

Now my 3rd Altis is keeping my finger cross and hope nothing major happen :)

I think is all depend on luck. For example, long time ago, I own a Sharp VCR that last me for 6 years without any problem. Then I bought a new Sharp VCR again but this time less than 6 months the recorder head gave problem and need to replace a new head, luckily still under warranty. But after slighly more than 1 years the head gave problem again. Then I decided not to use VCR and change to VCD Recorder.

Just my opinion :)

Many ppl have selective belief, they chose they things they wana hear and believe.

I knew friends who drove Korean car who claim they never break down and only change those wear and tear.

If one believe toyota is reliable, even owners around u who complaint abt ita reliability, u will still find excuses to defend it.

Many ppl have selective belief, they chose they things they wana hear and believe.

I knew friends who drove Korean car who claim they never break down and only change those wear and tear.

If one believe toyota is reliable, even owners around u who complaint abt ita reliability, u will still find excuses to defend it.

Nope I don't defend any cars, I am just telling the truth about my 2 previous cars. That's why I continue to buy back the same brand. I also mentioned that I am keeping my finger cross about my present Toyota. I don't know whether I am still so lucky or not that it will not give me any major problem.

Nope I don't defend any cars, I am just telling the truth about my 2 previous cars. That's why I continue to buy back the same brand. I also mentioned that I am keeping my finger cross about my present Toyota. I don't know whether I am still so lucky or not that it will not give me any major problem.

I believe if u maintain ur car well n do regular servicing... Most car wont breakdown.

Beside those conti cars, I rather pick car which is made in jap or korea than jap brand which made in indonesia or thai.

I believe if u maintain ur car well n do regular servicing... Most car wont breakdown.

Beside those conti cars, I rather pick car which is made in jap or korea than jap brand which made in indonesia or thai.

You're absolutely right. I may also add that it still need a little bit of luck to go with it.

Good day to ALL.

The only Toyota that I have driven is EE90 corolla, this car is really built to last until the final days to the scrapyard. Those were the days where BM sell their Toyota are truly from Japan.

Its heng suay lah... My vios MAF sensor kaput within 2 weeks after i got my ride.... but then, it served e well over the past 10yrs +. I renewed the COE cause I have faith in it!

In yr 2005, i got my brand new 1.6L Thai-made Altis freshly from BM knowing that i made the best choice in getting a Toyota. After doing my 5000km free servicing in BM, i decided to go to a popular Workshop elsewhere in AMK to do the regular servicing with all receipt kept.

On the third year, i did my 80,000km servicing at my regular workshop (me watching thur' the whole servicing) and a week later, i drive up to Genting and when i reached the Genting temple (almost reaching the Hotel), my Altis came to a sudden silent stop and all i could do is to wait for help.

After going to a few Malaysia workshop and not able to diagnose what had happened to my car, my SIN regular workshop asked me towed the car to his friend workshop in KL Bangsar who has the right diagnose tool and check on my Altis. In the end, was told that the VVTI Camshaft broke and 8 of my valve was damaged......a Major overhaul will be needed to revive the car. Total spending on the repair and tow fee cause me around SGD$3K.

One week later, i collect my car and was advise from my regular workshop to report about my incident (not claiming from BM but just to report the incident as my car warranty was over 2-3 weeks ago and also knowing engine warranty is 5 yrs). When i arrived at BM, the Service advisor come to me and told me off that they only see my 5000km service record and no other servicing was done after that in BM. I showed the SE that i have my receipt and report of my regular workshop but was declined that outside workshop only change your EO and Sparkplug...they are not able to dianose your car if really have problem....i was speechless at that very moment since knowing that this will void the warranty,

The best part of the conversation is when the SE saw my damage VVTI cam shaft, he directly told me that if i wanna report, they have to check the engine and its required to open up the engine with a fee of SGD$3K not including of replacing any other parts in the event of the investigation. As for filing the damage part, i have to bear for the flight charge and service charge (Either thai or Jap) and its not worth it at all since they will definitely conclude that my servicing is not done properly throughout the whole 3yrs duration causing such damage.

Since i'm not claiming anything from BM and just making a report but was badly declined by the SE and keep pushing me off, i directly told the SE that this will be "My first and last Toyota in my life". Suck big time!!! Really at a lost not knowing what car to buy since Toyota that was very well known to be reliable failed on me!!!

1 week later, i just sold off my car (half the total price lost) and replace with a Subaru Forester.

Till now, Subaru has never failed me and the car stability and performance is far more better than my previous sickening Tom-yam ride!

Come to think of it, if my Tom-yam ride never fails, i would not have the couraged to step up and purchase a Subaru which never ever come across my mind on my first car purchase.

"The true genuine experience of a Tomyam Toyota ex-owner"

Bro, think u kena slaughter alrd... Even replacing the whole engines (reconditioned engine) doesnt require 3K sgd in Malaysia..... My brother in law replaced his 1.5L corolla engine only at 2K+ ringgit in 2004 (recon engine)

Its heng suay lah... My vios MAF sensor kaput within 2 weeks after i got my ride.... but then, it served e well over the past 10yrs +. I renewed the COE cause I have faith in it!

Bro, think u kena slaughter alrd... Even replacing the whole engines (reconditioned engine) doesnt require 3K sgd in Malaysia..... My brother in law replaced his 1.5L corolla engine only at 2K+ ringgit in 2004 (recon engine)

my vios 13 years, still going strong, just basic wear and tear items replacement. 

my vios ..ncp93 already 8 years 2 month ..no problem ..except wear and tear parts

will service 1 time every 4 to 5 month ..if coe price too high , i will renew the coe and maintain use this car ..

i happy that i make the right choice for choosing toyota vios ..and my next upgrade , im looking at altis or sienta ..