HDB puts own jagar to man Holland V

Apollo

Marshals at Holland V

HDB hires them to improve flow at carpark with new parking system

By Sumathi V. Selvaretnam ST_IMAGES_HOLLAND1.jpg

THE Housing Board has deployed marshals from a private company to guide drivers at a much-talked-about carpark in Holland Village that has recently been outfitted with an electronic parking system.

They are there to help improve traffic flow around the 400-lot Holland Avenue carpark, which has been at the centre of a three-week controversy.

Last month, the HDB forced two popular valet services that operated out of the carpark to close down, saying they caused congestion, harassed motorists and blocked lanes.

On Sept 22, the HDB introduced the electronic system for the carpark, the closest one to Holland Village's restaurants, bars, spas and retail outlets.

When The Straits Times visited last Friday evening, carpark marshals dressed in red polo T-shirts were seen guiding motorists to available lots. They work for G.Tech, the company that manages the electronic system, which runs on CashCards.

The HDB said on Tuesday that the setup, which charges drivers by the minute, has cut down on the number of motorists who monopolise lots. It said the new system has helped an additional 300 to 700 motorists find a spot each day.

Some motorists who spoke to The Straits Times, though, said they still preferred valet parking, which they said were more convenient.

With the new system, drivers who head to the area at popular times, such as on Fridays and weekends, still have trouble getting lots, and many are forced to wait in the carpark for some time before they can park.

'In an emergency, I don't have to wait around. I'll just give the car to the valet and head off,' said Ms Jocelyn Wong, 31, an interior designer.

Last Friday, for example, at least six cars were seen waiting for a lot between 7pm and 8pm.

Eleven out of the 15 motorists interviewed said sometimes, the wait took as long as 20 minutes.

Sales manager Rajan Subramaniam, 35, was among them.

'They still let cars in when it is full. I am paying for every minute while waiting,' he said.

Responding to queries from The Straits Times, the HDB said drivers should consider nearby carparks during prime hours.

These include the multi-storey carparks at Block 5A Holland Close, Block 10A Holland Drive, the surface carpark next to the Buona Vista Swimming Complex and the on-street carpark at Chip Bee Gardens. All are within walking distance of Holland Village.

It added that though the carpark does not bar drivers from entering when it is full, they are given a 10-minute grace period to look for a lot before exiting it.

Meanwhile, some businesses in the area which had deals with the valet companies to park their customers' cars have seen their takings drop.

Mrs Sabrinah Hussin, 23, who manages Splendour Spa, said she has had fewer walk-in customers, and the number of regulars has dropped byhalf.

[email protected]

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNew...ory_285428.html

↡ Advertisement

im just curious, why this carpark so special? need so much attention? need extra marshal (cost $$ ok.... and who pay for it huh,btw..??) for a public car park??...weird.. can name me any other public carpark has this HDB-Marshal services?

umm... uniquely Holland V it seems.... [laugh]

Can anyone tell me....Which other HDB carpark in Singapore got such services where HDB deploy staff at the carpark?

Is Holland expats and local a higher breed?

I thought the computer system will only allow the Exact number of cars in to match the lots. One in, one out.....so how the hell "6 cars were seen waiting".

And the 15 motorist has to wait even 15mins for the lot, I am assuming they are inside the carpark after passing the entry barrier?

Someone is not programming the barrier system well! KOK-story....HDB wants to act like they care? Just reprogram the system lah! Can save the manpower to deploy there. The car park very big is it? Cars cannot circle round the carpark to find lots like everyother similar carparks in Singapore???

Anyone can enlighten me?

Last Friday, for example, at least six cars were seen waiting for a lot between 7pm and 8pm.

Eleven out of the 15 motorists interviewed said sometimes, the wait took as long as 20 minutes.

Edited by Leepee

u 1st time using HDB car park? if dun enter, behind cars will horn, then how? this is nothing new mah..

most of them "minute parking" all also lidat.

All the posting made by you in General Car Discussion are not deem fit in here. It should be in lite and Ezy instead. And since you can't access Lite and Ezy, kindly refrain from starting such thread here.

Should you continue with this posting style, I will have no choice but to further limit your access.