Steps To Getting A Car Licence - And Buying A Car

Robert

Neutral Newbie

Dunno how to phrase the title, but this is the situation:

a) I know someone who only got his Basic Theory Test (BTT) recently; he said got this Final Theory Test (FTT) to take

b) He just booked and paid a downpayment for a new car, having boasted that he could get his Provisional Drivers' Licence (PDL) by Dec 08;

c) Now he is having driving lessons almost every day to complete the 33 lessons by early- to mid-Nov, so that he can get his test date in Dec 08.

What is the actual procedures, and pre-reqs to getting a licence - step by step?

This is confusing (cos I got my licence more than 20 years ago when it was only Highway Code, and then Test Date).

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Depending on whether you take school or private, the steps are:

School:

1) Basic Theory, after you pass basic theory, can get PDL, which allows you to drive on the roads in a L plated car with an instructor.

2) Final Theory, after you pass FTT and fulfill certain requirements set by the school, then the system will allow you to book the TP Prac test.

3) TP Practical. If you pass, then congrats. If fail, gotta book 1-2 revision lesson before the system allows you to take the TP test again.

Private:

1) Take BTT(for the PDL) and FTT. After passing FTT then they allow you to book a TP Prac date. Usually the wait is about 6 mths to give you time to find a PTE instructor and learn all those you need to learn.

As for your friend..he kiang..so confident can pass on 1st attempt..Btw, PDL is for learning hor..cannot drive by himself on the road..

wah ur friend is really very.... shocked.gif

to get a driving licence very straight forward lah... if private... pass FTT can book test date, meanwhile go for lessons till test date, pass the driving test on the spot get licence liao...

if by school... go stage by stage, pass each stage n move on to next, until finally pass the school internal driving test, pass that, get test date, pass that, on the spot get licence...

as for how long it'll take from now till dec got 4 mths, got chance but provide pass on 1st attempt lah lipsrsealed.gif

ur friend how old? working long time now than decide to get licence or young kid with rich dad to pay for his car

Neutral Newbie

I thought to register a car under your name, you need to produce Drivers' Licence AND valid Insurance Certificate?

How come salesman tell him can register? I also blur . . . . . . .

no need to be a driver to own a car.... wink.gif

licence is for driving the car no need licence to buy car...

wah ur friend sure waited a loooong time before he decide to get a licence man

Turbocharged

usually insurance side, they will ask for the details of the main driver and quote based on the main driver..in this case, the vehicle owner and driver will be different.

last time my uncle got 2 cars, both under his name but he got no driving license at all.... so ahmad ferry him around.sweatdrop.gif

Dunno how to phrase the title, but this is the situation:

a) I know someone who only got his Basic Theory Test (BTT) recently; he said got this Final Theory Test (FTT) to take

b) He just booked and paid a downpayment for a new car, having boasted that he could get his Provisional Drivers' Licence (PDL) by Dec 08;

c) Now he is having driving lessons almost every day to complete the 33 lessons by early- to mid-Nov, so that he can get his test date in Dec 08.

What is the actual procedures, and pre-reqs to getting a licence - step by step?

This is confusing (cos I got my licence more than 20 years ago when it was only Highway Code, and then Test Date).

Can but he needs to get his insurance re-assessed after he passes (assuming he has no license at e point).

I dun see e need to register e car b4 he gets his license though.