Alfa 159 Part II. (any alfa discussion welcomed too)

Chrispie

No you can't drive a LHD if you are common folks. Only CD plate... and MID of course [lipsrsealed]

actually I was seated on the front right while my friend a housewife , driven me from serangoon garden to toa payoh on the left .It's a white color RU plate smart for two.

The car doesn't belong to them but was given to them to drive on a long term loan .

Neutral Newbie

actually I was seated on the front right while my friend a housewife , driven me from serangoon garden to toa payoh on the left .It's a white color RU plate smart for two.

The car doesn't belong to them but was given to them to drive on a long term loan .

Those RU-plated cars are trial cars for bio-diesel or hybrids right? Saw a VW tourag before, but didn't realise they were LHDs... but then again, I'm a common folk so it's still not for me to drive [:p]

anyone knows what is happening to Alfa 149 (the 147 replacement)? earlier reports says it will be available in europe in early 2009 but we are now into 2 quarter of 2009 and no news about it at all...have they decide to delay the launch due to recession?

Is the 1.7 turbo 159 coming to Singapore? Wat sort of gearbox would it be available in?

Some people said coming as early as June 09 and I think the 6-speed manuals will come first. The first batch of 2.2 159s that EA brought in were manuals, I have the 4th one to be sold..still enjoying every minute of the drive [flowerface] .

Spec sheet -

Alfa Romeo 159

Engine - Characteristics 1750 TURBO BENZINA, turbocharged petrol

Nr. cylinders, arrangement 4 cylinder in-line, twin cam, transverse forward mounted

Bore x stroke (mm) 83.0 x 80.5

Displacement (cc) 1742

Compression ratio 9.5:1

Max. power EEC kW (HP) 147 (200)

at rpm 5000

Max. torque EEC Nm (kgm) 320 (32.7)

at rpm 1400

Valve gear (drive) Belt drive, 16 valves, hydraulic tappets with roller rocker arms

Fuel system Turbocharger

Emissions control EU5

CO emissions (g/km), urban cycle 273

CO emissions (g/km), extra-urban

cycle

CO emissions (g/km), combined cycle 189

Electrical system (12V)

Battery: capacity (Ah) 90

Alternator (A) 120

Transmission

Drive Front wheel drive

Gearbox Manual 6-speed

1st gear 3.818 : 1

2nd gear 2.158: 1

3rd gear 1.475: 1

4th gear 1.067 : 1

5th gear 0.875 : 1

6th gear 0.744 : 1

Reverse 3.545 : 1

Final drive 3.941: 1

Wheels

Tyres 225/50R17 - 235/45R18 - 235/40ZR19

Steering

Steering system Rack and pinion with hydraulic power steering

Turning circle between kerbs (m) 11.1

Suspension

Front

Independent double wishbone suspension and torsion bar with ball

joint ends

Rear Independent multi-link system

Brake (disc) diameter

Front:

Edited by Count_dukulangsat

I don't think will be much diff from the current price...even the saloon/sportswagon/selespeed/manual are almost the same price (<10K diff). With COE going up and down, the current Q2 selespeed costs less than the manual one I bought 2.5 years ago.

i was quite tempted to get the 159 lately but the new spec turbo seems very impressive. gd performance and even fuel economy which the present one, even with the reduced weight, doesn't score in. so i settle for the GT (a bit cheaper than the 159), the last show piece as seen in sgcarmart. will be getting in a few days hopefully. Mito just seems a tad too small and anyway, i need an auto. maybe i'll get the 159 turbo years down the road as if the euro stays low, expect it to be priced reasonably here. btw, 159 turbo will not have selespeed anymore i think. all will use DSG system.

Edited by Felipe

i was quite tempted to get the 159 lately but the new spec turbo seems very impressive. gd performance and even fuel economy which the present one, even with the reduced weight, doesn't score in. so i settle for the GT (a bit cheaper than the 159), the last show piece as seen in sgcarmart. will be getting in a few days hopefully. Mito just seems a tad too small and anyway, i need an auto. maybe i'll get the 159 turbo years down the road as if the euro stays low, expect it to be priced reasonably here. btw, 159 turbo will not have selespeed anymore i think. all will use DSG system.

Congrats, bro! [bounce2] The GT is a classic.. [thumbsup]

hi guys, just bought a 159. i assumed that the new one would cost more cos of the turbo! if it is going to cost more or less the same. then i can't help but feel a tinge of regret! but oh well.

Neutral Newbie

hi guys, just bought a 159. i assumed that the new one would cost more cos of the turbo! if it is going to cost more or less the same. then i can't help but feel a tinge of regret! but oh well.

Welcome to the Alfa family!! Check out http://www.arocsingapore.com/ for the local Alfa scene... best to sign up as member as we do have a lot of activities lined up this year. [thumbsup]

Don't regret coz I'm sure you got a good price for the 159 compared to those who bought much earlier... just enjoy the ride dude! If think too much, you probably won't ever get an Alfa anyway.. :D

Think of the fun you are getting now vs. getting the 1750 later. [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

heh heh... another one bitten by the Serpent! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Thanks! Yup, hopefully can get my car in abt 2+ weeks. I've been eyeing this car since 2007! So when I decided to change my current car (which will be 5yrs old in a few months), there was no doubt which car I will buy. Separately, I can't seem to find much information on recommended ICE improvements to the 159 (not even in the alfa forum). It can't be possible that everyone is using the stock HU right?

Neutral Newbie

Thanks! Yup, hopefully can get my car in abt 2+ weeks. I've been eyeing this car since 2007! So when I decided to change my current car (which will be 5yrs old in a few months), there was no doubt which car I will buy. Separately, I can't seem to find much information on recommended ICE improvements to the 159 (not even in the alfa forum). It can't be possible that everyone is using the stock HU right?

I always knew I wanted an Alfa when I test drove the 147 2.0 in 2002 after I finally got interested in cars after riding awhile [:p] . When my Focus was over 4.5 years last year, I jumped onto a 2nd hand 159 SW when it was available and never looked back. :wub::wub:

Actually there are a few who changed their ICE, but a number went for the Alpine 502 or 202 or even stick with stock HU to maintain the look - There's a thread on how to get the steering control as well... strange that you didn't find it. I think I might be the only one who went single DIN though (and lost my steering control coz the HU didn't support it) ^_^ .

The 159 is a tricky one with ICE from what I heard, but a good installer should be able to do it. Chuan Hifi did the 159 before... another AROC member went to Pin Liang (but they claimed to others that they didn't do it... probably got scared ha ha). The ex-key person in Aeon did it before but he's not there anymore. I went to New Gen and have no regrets...

Edited by Mojoe
↡ Advertisement