Alfa 159 Part II. (any alfa discussion welcomed too)

Chrispie

[sweatdrop]

20"... tires alone will kill you...

Actually i dun understand how come the cost of big tyres are so high.. do they use a LOT more materials? Or because of the size, the construction has to be totally different?

Or... its just a " since you can spend so much on big rims, you sure can spend a lot too on tyres" kinda thingy... [confused]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi,

Interested in the 159 since I saw the ad on Sat....

Was wondering if the selespeed transmission and behaviour is similar to the Opel Astra MTA...

I have been driving the Astra for about 3 years and sometimes still am irritated by the jerkiness during jams....

Of course when I use Sports mode, it can be quite fun...

Is the 159 transmission same as this?

Also the offered price is for the petrol or diesel version?

Is there any benefits of the diesel version over the petrol version?

Lastly, I am wondering about the warranty conditions?

Is it 100km in 5 years or something else? Need to pay extra for the 5 yr warranty?

Was checking the website but not much information there...

Thanks for your inputs.

Edited by Yappiez

Actually, I find it strange... you are a 156 owner and you said the reason why you didn't consider the 159 is because it has lost its character.

Yet you are asking about the reliability of the Selespeed and seems to place that above everything else. Further, as a 156 driver, you seem to drive in D mode often enough to comment on it. IMHO, all not very characteristic of one who said Alfa has lost is character in the 159 though [confused]

The only time when I drive in D mode is when I am late for work and need to shave on the way there [blush] and D mode is definitely more jerky than full manual. The pre-MY08 ones which I am driving is apparently more jerky than the Q2 159 which you test drove. Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to the Selespeed of the 159? Or age has finally caught up? :D

Also, you said that build quality is bad... again, strange because you drive a 156 and the 159 is definitely better built than the 156. Reliability and Quality are the least of the issues with the 159... which I thought were some of the reasons why older Alfisti are so against it [laugh]

So not sure what to tell you... Maybe a Lexus? [lipsrsealed]

Only you can decide whether to go with it or not, especially since you are already a current 156 owner.

Actually, I don't quite understand 'hardcore' Alfa owners or 'Alfistis'. Am I right to say that these individuals think that by associating occasional technical problems or poor built quality with a swanky brand equates to having 'character'?

If that is the case, isn't reliability a character too? Don't we always look for partners or friends who are reliable? Or do we look for unreliable characters for partners or friends, then label them as being full of character and embrace them?

Neutral Newbie

I can only suggest you call EA up and go for a test-drive... you got to test-drive to feel for yourself the Selespeed as no amount telling you is going to help you as you can see here.

AFAIK, the price now is non-guaranteed COE since the rise in COE. Previously, the price was guaranteed. It's definitely for the petrol version, although I'm not sure if you can indent the disesel and at what price. Price should include 5 years/100k warranty, but I'm not sure.

Better for you to get direct for the horse's mouth than 2nd hand information.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Errmmm... wah so serious... Not really... some things I said are in jest.

And actually there's really no one way to choose a partner is there?... unless you are men-in-white [lipsrsealed] As long as you are happy with your choice. If I choose a rust bucket and I know it, why not?

Edited by Mojoe

Neutral Newbie

Probably part truth :D

Less demand I guess, so prices will be higher. Even if smaller tires, but you get odd sizes, price will likely to be high as well, i think.

I find it strange too...have never heard of ex-alfa owners ever complain about poor build quality of alfa..and almost all car reviews I read unanimously agreed that the build quality of 159 is better than the 156..

Is there any benefits of the diesel version over the petrol version?

1 tank full of diesel can last you all the way to penang from SG.

AND , euro5 diesel engine is much much cleaner than the petrol version if you're a enviromentalist.

However , the bloody diesel tax here is [lipsrsealed] can't they differentiate between a commercial vehicles and a private owner ?

Actually, I don't quite understand 'hardcore' Alfa owners or 'Alfistis'. Am I right to say that these individuals think that by associating occasional technical problems or poor built quality with a swanky brand equates to having 'character'?

If that is the case, isn't reliability a character too? Don't we always look for partners or friends who are reliable? Or do we look for unreliable characters for partners or friends, then label them as being full of character and embrace them?

i think you're mistaken. none of the posts ever mentioned being reliable means having less Alfa character. Who doesn't want a reliable car?

The key elements missing in the 159 is the lack of a sweet engine note and the overall teutonic feel of the car, compared to the more wild behavior of the 156. The 156 is lighter and nimbler. It has a sweet TS engine and JTS fares well too. The engine note is louder in the 156. Characteristics more suited to an italian car, or an Alfa.

There's a fine line between having a car that needs more attention and a car that is reliable. For the 156, you need to check the engine oil levels often. Alfistis like to do these things, taking their cars to the workshop and make sure its in tip top condition. You virtually don't have to give a damn about the 159. Quite a lot about it is German-like efficiency and the drive does not have as much italian flair. But this doesn't mean 156 is unreliable. It just has different needs. A Ferrari would have its own needs as well. And for the Alfisti, that's not really a problem or even a hassle at all.

its a similar type of transmission. though how it goes about doing it may be different. but the jerks are still there. the only manual auto transmission thats jerkless is VW's DSG.

price is petrol version. if i were living in europe, i would get a diesel. when i was in italy few months back, most of the alfas i saw there were diesels and for that sorta mileage, its not hard to see why. but for killer tax in SG, forget about the diesel. Why is it like this here? obviously it has a lot to do with money, very much similar to why u have to enter into another country with 3/4 tank of petrol. it doesn't make sense but that's how things work here- money.

warranty is 5 yrs 100k, no need pay extra but if u do buy, can bargain for free servicing etc.

Neutral Newbie

I think your SE didnt explain to you enuff.

1. At D mode, it is suppose to behave like an AUTO car.. where everything is done for you, be it accel or slowing down. But at any one time, you can overwrite by using the paddles or the stick.

I understand that, what I meant was it doesn't 'deselect' the auto mode. I.e. when I'm at the auto mode and I want to use the paddles, I definitely don't shift at the auto settings (I'll shift at a higher rpm). But since the auto mode is still on, it'll shift to the next gear at the preset rpm after my initial shift. The 156 wasn't like this. I'm pretty sure the GTI, A5 and BMW335 doesn't do it this way.

2. At Manual mode, the car only auto shifts DOWN for you as you slows. (but you can manually shift down to engine brake, take corners, overtakes etc) When you wanna accel, it wont upshift for you no matter what.

Understand.

3. As for jerkiness, in D+S mode, the car upshifts at very high rpm to maintain the accel. In D mode, the shift is slower, and quite hesitant and for that reason, i hardly drive in D mode unless in heavy jam etc.

In the D+S, I also know that it'll shift higher but on the tester, it shifted at the redline. I asked the salesman if that's the gearbox trying to protect the engine (the 156 is like this) or it's the D+S mode's preset shift point. He doesn't know.

4. In M mode, if you actually maintains the throttle and upshift at say 3.5k rpm and above, the shift is really fast and smooth.

Ok

As for build quality, its subjective i say. I sat in the 156 too, and comparatively, i find the finishing for the 159 better. The design for the dash is also sleeker. It is normal that you find the 159 selespeed jerky. I tot it was darn bad too. All you need is practice, and once you know the car well, its a joy to drive. And not any jerkier than the 156 or any other manual car.

Roger, I wasn't too concern about it because I think I can get used to it. Thanks for your response.

Neutral Newbie

seriously, if you plan to get the 159, don't use the D mode... never does what you want.

The auto part is unlike the 156 where it will "switch" to manual the moment you use the paddles.

Neutral Newbie

Actually, I find it strange... you are a 156 owner and you said the reason why you didn't consider the 159 is because it has lost its character.

I think it's been discussed in the earlier posts by several here. It's not as radical in design and too executive. Anyway, I don't profess to be an Alfisti, I guess I'm using that as an excuse.

Yet you are asking about the reliability of the Selespeed and seems to place that above everything else. Further, as a 156 driver, you seem to drive in D mode often enough to comment on it. IMHO, all not very characteristic of one who said Alfa has lost is character in the 159 though [confused]

Is it wrong to enquire about the reliability of the Selespeed? I owned the 2.0 and it gave me no problems at all but I've not followed the scene since. I'm just doing my due diligence and enquiring. Understanding how the car performs in the D mode makes me less of an enthusiast? Is it wrong to understand the car's characteristics? Let me give you one quirk that the 156 had. It doesn't downshift by itself (in the manual mode) to 1 unless the car comes to a standstill. This little quirk erks many of the pioneers because if you slow down at the lights and the lights go green, the car is still in 2nd gear. PLUS, the buttons does not downshift from 2 to 1 (a parking safety feature). We had to downshift with the stick to get going on a rolling stop n go. Checked out the 159 and it's been resolved. So please, don't flame me for loving my 156 enough to understand it's every mode.

The only time when I drive in D mode is when I am late for work and need to shave on the way there [blush] and D mode is definitely more jerky than full manual. The pre-MY08 ones which I am driving is apparently more jerky than the Q2 159 which you test drove. Perhaps it's a matter of getting used to the Selespeed of the 159? Or age has finally caught up? :D

Also, you said that build quality is bad... again, strange because you drive a 156 and the 159 is definitely better built than the 156. Reliability and Quality are the least of the issues with the 159... which I thought were some of the reasons why older Alfisti are so against it [laugh]

So not sure what to tell you... Maybe a Lexus? [lipsrsealed]

Only you can decide whether to go with it or not, especially since you are already a current 156 owner.

Ok, thanks nonetheless for your time taken to address my concerns. I'll take some of the comments as dark humor. No worries, no hard feelings. BTW, Lexus doesn't cut it for me. I'm going for the A5 2.0Q S-tronic.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

None taken and I am not flaming coz you drive the 156 and I don't think I have ever said anything bad about any other Alfas (we are already a rare breed). I loved both the 147 2.0 and 156 (actually more the 147 [:p] ... I test drove the 147 2.0 back when it was 1st launched and fell deeply in love with Alfa since then (the chio SE from Massa Ubi may or may not have something to do it [lipsrsealed]:D ). Unfortunately I can only afford an Alfa now and not then... so to me the 159 is a dream come true and as Alfa as it can get (to me). I never had the experience of the old 75 or 33 which many rave about as well since my family doesn't own any car so I can't tell how much un-Alfa like the 159 range is. But, again, to me the 159 is good enough for me. When you ask those questions, I really just find it strange since you are driving a 156 and I was thinking "here we go again... another fellow Alfista bashing of the 159". So i do apologise if I sounded like I was flaming you.

Unfortunately the 159 Selespeed still doesn't really downshift as well (to me), especially from 2nd to 1st gear... can be jerky.. most of the time, i still do it on my own so that it is less jerky.

The A5 is a looker! Congrats! There's a S5 in my office carpark :wub:

Edited by Mojoe
↡ Advertisement