Alfa 159 Part II. (any alfa discussion welcomed too)

Chrispie

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone here had test drove the new Alfa Mito? Im quite intrigued by its design. Im finding it difficult to decide between the Mito or the VW Scirocco. Went to the alfa showroom recently to take a look at the mito (agent offered 79k on the road). Though what they had there was white in colour, i believe the red will look awesome.

Im also quite pleased with what i saw in the scirocco too (tho its more expensive). Any valuable comments will be sincerely appreciated. Tks [wave]

Here's a review of the Mito by none other than Jeremy Clarkson himself (maybe it will help with your decision .. probably not [laugh] ) -

Mito Review

Edited by Count_duku
↡ Advertisement

yep for the base model 320 versus one of the top spec 159. sorry, need to emphasise this over again.

So isn't it ironic that the base model 320 has a higher OMV than the higher spec 159?

Hi guys, was wondering if anyone here had test drove the new Alfa Mito? Im quite intrigued by its design. Im finding it difficult to decide between the Mito or the VW Scirocco. Went to the alfa showroom recently to take a look at the mito (agent offered 79k on the road). Though what they had there was white in colour, i believe the red will look awesome.

Im also quite pleased with what i saw in the scirocco too (tho its more expensive). Any valuable comments will be sincerely appreciated. Tks [wave]

Hi, I test drove the Mito two saturdays back. Here are my thoughts:

My favourite part of the Mito has to be the 6sp manual transmission. Very nice clunky feeling slotting the gears into place and the clutch is really very left leg friendly. Light and easily controllable. Biting point a bit high but that may be because I like sitting close to the pedals. Perhaps someone else could verify this.

More on the pedals. Manual Alfas of the past (or so I hear from numerous uncles and aunties) had closely spaced pedals which was good for heel-toe but not so comfortable on certain parts of the anatomy. I was told it was like driving while trying to squeeze your thighs together. To my surprise, while the Mito's pedals looked close to each other, there was no such problem even for my size 11 feet. No missteps or anything. No discomfort either.

The Mito is generous enough on the power side with 230NM of torque feeling pretty nifty. No G force, head thrown back feeling but no surprise there. I missed a bit of the low end grunt as my daily driver chucks out nearly 300NM of torque but on the whole, it is still good enough to get ahead and overtake with ease. On the plus side, the turbo spools very quickly and the rev counts build up pretty quick. Acceleration is brisk, not fantastically quick, but definitely no slouch. It feels very eager and enthusiastic to sprint and accelerate. I like that in a car. [thumbsup]

At about 4k rpm on, the exhaust note starts to get louder. It is not the metallic whine that one often hears from stock Jap sedans but also not exactly a sports car kind of sound. It is still pretty pleasant on my ears (at least) and not overly loud. I am guessing some aftermarket exhaust will work wonders in improving the aural aspects of the Mito.

The Mito comes with 3 driving modes. I suggest you stay in Dynamic. The steering is pretty firm in Dynamic and gave me a good feel and confidence while turning. The road holding was pretty good in Dynamic mode as I found out during the test drive when I had to take evasive measures. It changed direction sharply and quickly without too much roll. Stability at high speeds is pretty good too (I did not find out how much I had exceeded the speed limit until my gf told me after the test drive).

Practicality wise, the back space is small compared to normal sedans but pretty good for a hatch this size. My gf was at the back and found it comfortable. But big or tall guys probably wouldn't.

Now if only I was car hunting. [furious]

Edit: Please buy it! [thumbsup]

Edited by TandemAssassin

So isn't it ironic that the base model 320 has a higher OMV than the higher spec 159?

and a higher profit margin for PML too!

Neutral Newbie

Tks for the insights dude ... interesting. I will be heading down this weekend to test drive the scirocco and mito and will probably make my final decision then.

Im not sure if there are ppl out there that feel the same ... but ... "alfa" has created this "rich man" feel amongst us .. and since im a "gahmen servant" ... im afraid ppl will start thinking that im driving a "better" or more "expensive" car than my boss(es) .. i hope that will not signal the end of my career .. LoL.

But in a nutshell, the alfa seems more affordable than the scirocco, which may end up being the deciding factor for me ... [thumbsup]

Tks for the insights dude ... interesting. I will be heading down this weekend to test drive the scirocco and mito and will probably make my final decision then.

Im not sure if there are ppl out there that feel the same ... but ... "alfa" has created this "rich man" feel amongst us .. and since im a "gahmen servant" ... im afraid ppl will start thinking that im driving a "better" or more "expensive" car than my boss(es) .. i hope that will not signal the end of my career .. LoL.

But in a nutshell, the alfa seems more affordable than the scirocco, which may end up being the deciding factor for me ... [thumbsup]

Actually both your choices are bound to generate attention. For me, I can't stand the heck care attitude of VW sales people. Alfa sales execs so much more friendly.

While it is true that I may not be buying some million dollar supercar, but I am still spending a hefty sum of money buying a car (whether it is a QQ or a Ferrari). Hence, the service better be top notch. After 2 disastrous experiences with VW, I shall never attend any more of their launches or what not already.

i think VW does not have a poor man image too, at least in SG! The VW is the more logical choice. It does look a bit more manly while Mito has that cutesy look. VW looks nearly like a coupe compared to the mito, which is a hatch. I'm not sure how bad the VW SEs' attitudes are but i'm sure there are one or two good ones. If you get a rude one, just move on to the next. After all, their sale is at your mercy. So you should not factor SE much in your decision.

But between VW and Mito? The Mito's cute look is thankfully quite acceptable, not like the girly cute. And the drive can be adjusted for better road holding and steering. It does look a bit more wild in design, ala Italian. I'm biased against branding so i can't imagine myself sitting in front of a steering wheel and staring at that ordinary VW badge. Mito just thugs my heart a bit more and of cos, it's cheaper with a nice 6spd manual to go along. I also like the electronic coupe windows that slide down a bit when you open the door. Not sure VW has that.

Finally, you still got to choose between logic and insanity. Buying an Alfa is a crazy choice. Ppl who buy Alfas rarely use logic. It's quite an emotional choice. Test drive both and see which thugs your heart more.

I do have some interest in the VW Sicrocco..but it has been grossly overpriced..something like over 30K mark up..the price really puts me off..

Another big difference between the Mito and the Scirocco is the transmission - manual vs the DSG. If you like an engaging drive, go for the manual Mito. It's more trouble-free too. I went from a CVT Audi to a manual 159, and driving is so much more fun now. IMHO the less electronics the better. According to the Alfa SE, they have sold about 15 Mitos. I have seen a few Sciroccos on the road but have yet to see a Mito. The Scirocco will be as common as a Golf in a few months. The Mito will likely remain exclusive.

Here are some mods options for the Mito -

post-52900-1250838561_thumb.jpg

post-52900-1250838573_thumb.jpg

and a higher profit margin for PML too!

I mentioned this previously, percentage-wise, the base model 320 just edges out the 159 in terms of price to OMV ratio which is a good gauge of profit margin.

This was when I was checking this out at the end of last year.

Neutral Newbie

Another big difference between the Mito and the Scirocco is the transmission - manual vs the DSG. If you like an engaging drive, go for the manual Mito. It's more trouble-free too. I went from a CVT Audi to a manual 159, and driving is so much more fun now. IMHO the less electronics the better. According to the Alfa SE, they have sold about 15 Mitos. I have seen a few Sciroccos on the road but have yet to see a Mito. The Scirocco will be as common as a Golf in a few months. The Mito will likely remain exclusive.

Here are some mods options for the Mito -

not much diff from a GP T-jet. in local context compare to a Bravo, even e upcoming 149.

wonder when got bodykit for GP conversion to Mito look-alike. that'll make e owners mad [bounce1]

I mentioned this previously, percentage-wise, the base model 320 just edges out the 159 in terms of price to OMV ratio which is a good gauge of profit margin.

This was when I was checking this out at the end of last year.

but that's not the BASE model 159. so it kinda makes it money worthwhile. better car but still cheaper than a low end bmw

Haha ... the Grand Punto is a nice car, especially in blue. The Mito design is more "intriguing". The Fiat 500 is another nice small car. I like the fact that all these Fiats and Alfas come manual options without having to indent.

went to test drive the 159 today and i must say again this car is damn beautiful... the selespeed does take getting use to but so far is really engaging drive and pretty fun to drive.

however i understand from SE that leather seats is optional with top up of 2000 but is locally fitted. The standard seats is wrap in Alfatex fabric. Also iPhone interface is an optional item too...

need to ask Alfa 159 owners what kind of things can ask SE to throw in besides leather seats? appreciate the feedback.

thanks

i think VW does not have a poor man image too, at least in SG! The VW is the more logical choice. It does look a bit more manly while Mito has that cutesy look. VW looks nearly like a coupe compared to the mito, which is a hatch. I'm not sure how bad the VW SEs' attitudes are but i'm sure there are one or two good ones. If you get a rude one, just move on to the next. After all, their sale is at your mercy. So you should not factor SE much in your decision.

But between VW and Mito? The Mito's cute look is thankfully quite acceptable, not like the girly cute. And the drive can be adjusted for better road holding and steering. It does look a bit more wild in design, ala Italian. I'm biased against branding so i can't imagine myself sitting in front of a steering wheel and staring at that ordinary VW badge. Mito just thugs my heart a bit more and of cos, it's cheaper with a nice 6spd manual to go along. I also like the electronic coupe windows that slide down a bit when you open the door. Not sure VW has that.

Finally, you still got to choose between logic and insanity. Buying an Alfa is a crazy choice. Ppl who buy Alfas rarely use logic. It's quite an emotional choice. Test drive both and see which thugs your heart more.

Hmm.... BEFORE you buy alfa, you will think its an emotional choice, no logic. AFTER you gotten the Alfa, you think that IT IS ONLY LOGICAL YOU BUY THIS CAR!!

btw AD said they will probably NOT bring in the turbo 159 tbi in the near future coz the pricing is just too "unfriendly", around 140K

↡ Advertisement