I'm such an idiot - scratched my front left rim & tyre

Drive_carcar

Lapse of concentration, got too intimate with a curb. Now my rim got some rather ugly scars, tyre also a bit scratched. [:/][:/][:/]

Just called my "friendly" KM - Changing only just 1 stock rim is $697. [sweatdrop] They gotta be kidding me man!

Anybody got any other suggestions? I was thinking just to a rim repair and check the wheel alignment. Another option I'll explore is getting a 2nd hand rim, if it's stock just change the front left. If it's an aftermarket one, and nice, then I'll change the whole set...

↡ Advertisement

3rd sugggestion is to leave with it if it is still safe for driving.

Seriously, I rather concentrate on examining the extend of damage to the tyre wall for safety reasons. I can live with scratched RIMs.

Just live with it lah. Better dan some ppl spend a few k on some expensive rims and scratched them.[lipsrsealed] If they can live with it, your stock rims should be no problem. [:p][laugh]

There was no other visible damage leh... mostly just cosmetics. Not sure if alignment was affected, although everything seem to felt smoother after kissing the curb....

I got a very strange car.... [:p]

Exactly! I got 1 lobang for type R rims, which should set me back about $700... then buy new tyres, and maybe some wheel alighment check, it's still much better value than just changing 1 wheel [:/]

KM really blood suckers for aftersales services.... [:/]

Yah lor.... times are bad. [sweatdrop] My worry is just whether I screwed up my steering system or wheel alignment when I kissed the curb. Although car seems fine, and strangely smoother after the kiss, I just can't help worrying.....

But the rim damage was really ugly and out of place with the car, as my car is generally rather well groomed lor... also a bit sim tia....

No choice lah since you have already bought car from them. Can sell you affordable car but they will have their payback time when you go back to them for servicing.

Btw if you rims are not to badly scratched or damaged, just spend some money to diagnoise possible problems on your mountings, suspension and alignment.

you can go to those rims and tyres shop and ask how much for 1 rim. shouldn't be anything more than $100 since KM new rims and tyres trade in value around $500 for all 4.

That's a good rule of thumb. I think set the budget to $150 to fix 1 wheel. Any quote that is more than that is overcharging, then I might as well just leave it. Otherwise, I could splurge on a new set of wheels, and scratch the new rims in a few weeks time....

[sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

haiyah.. its common lah... just let it be loh... until the time your tyres botak then consider to change everything wink.gif

btw, 2nd hand rim may have structural issue, if its repaired after the previous owner damaged it. not advisable imo.

Lapse of concentration, got too intimate with a curb. Now my rim got some rather ugly scars, tyre also a bit scratched. [:/][:/][:/]

Just called my "friendly" KM - Changing only just 1 stock rim is $697. [sweatdrop] They gotta be kidding me man!

Anybody got any other suggestions? I was thinking just to a rim repair and check the wheel alignment. Another option I'll explore is getting a 2nd hand rim, if it's stock just change the front left. If it's an aftermarket one, and nice, then I'll change the whole set...

Opt for repair rim, last I know from my fren is abt $40/rim repair (don knw price up or nt?). They will touch up and smoothen ur scratches and then respray.

Bro don't worry. I also join you as idiot.

Yesterday I "long piak". Parked too near to a 2 feet tall wall/kerb jutting out from a small bridge over our long kang. Forgot about it after changing my gate pass. Went into the car and drove off (coz can't see the 2ft wall/kerb coz too near).

Think my car almost mounted the 2ft wall/kerb. Even the security guard came out to see what happened.

Sigh.....CMI lah. Scratches quite bad and the bottom plastic tray behind the bumper got dislocated.

Then in the evening, I was repairing my amplifier but ended up short circuiting it. Think it was black tuesday for me. [smallcry]

Wow! Around $40 is a bargain man! Somemore Civic stock rims in silver seem like very easy to touch up and repair. I'm just looking for a thread in this forum that has the contact to do this.

I don't suggest you repair the rims. at about $40 per rim, if they sell you those brand new traded rims at $80 still worth it imho, since you know no structural damage.

Aiyo! Bro! So sorry to learn about your mishaps. Sometimes is just like that, momentary lapse of concentration, resulting is major chiew cheng situations [:/] Only thing we can be thankful for is no 3rd party involved, and no lives were dangered.

Anyway, at least we got our black tuesdays behind us, and will be enjoying good days for quite a while... yes? Stay positive lor... things will get better.

↡ Advertisement