Ok seriously, are red light cameras a road hazard?

Ev0lutionz

Everytime i drive, i look out for them.. and sometimes when reaching a junction with a red light camera, some cars jam brake on amber for fear of getting snapped, making me also jam brake. I know they are there to catch errant motorists la. But, is there a grace period or something? I know if u travel at speed limit and if u are too close, still can clear the junction or if just nice can stop in time etc.

↡ Advertisement

why should cameras be a road hazard ?

Why not treat all traffic lights to have cameras and thus slow down or stop on amber light, unless too close to stop, in which case continue on ?

The hazard in that case is caused by tailgating, not the red light camera. Even if there's no camera, the car in front may stop, it will be foolish of the car behind to assume he will beat the red light.

the probelm is some kayu drivers cannot decide to go or stop, they will speed up and slow down or jam brake. and some traffic lights you know the green arrow only flash a short time so you try to keep close to the car in front so got chance to cross, otherwise the right turn lane is always jam.

the cameras only become a hazard when kayu drivers start giving a wide margin of "safety" that impedes the smooth flow of traffic. amber light means prepare to stop, but the kayu drivers will stop at amber, and sometimes the amber will last quite long, long enough for about 10 cars to cross the junction in the lane beside the kayu driver.

your point about too close too stop and which case continue on is correct as jamming brake by then will be unsafe for the car behind you. but kayu drivers will do just the opposite. remember the case about the man who jam brake to insert the cashcard and cause a motorbike to crash behind him?

i think there was a study in another country about the red light camera is actually causing more accidents due to jam brake at red lights.

chiobu at bus-stops/traffic lights, even just walking along the roads are more of a road hazard.. but i'm not complaining [sly]

sorry to OT [:p]

I think the best solution is to have a timer on top of every traffic light, counting down the seconds to amber light. That way, everyone can judge better and not be so apprehensive whenever we approach a junction.

I think a few studies have shown that red light traffic camera do result in more rear-end collisions. The reason given to continue the use of the red light camera in light of this is that side-collisions (which are supposedly more dangerously) are reduced.

Red light camera aren't hazards, you are.

Drivers who would compromise on their own safety and those of other drivers for 12 demerit points and $300 are hazards.

Everytime i drive, i look out for them.. and sometimes when reaching a junction with a red light camera, some cars jam brake on amber for fear of getting snapped, making me also jam brake. I know they are there to catch errant motorists la. But, is there a grace period or something? I know if u travel at speed limit and if u are too close, still can clear the junction or if just nice can stop in time etc.

I think TP have give some crap reason why it's not useful.. and cost is another issue.. but when I'm M'sia, i find the timer thingy useful, coz it allow drivers to time their slowdown or speed up.. and for those waiting, to get ready for drive off as well.

For singapore, i see a lag coz got people either put to Gear 1 or D when driving off.. every second of delay cascade down to those behind.. no efficient at all

strange that they didn't cite cost on having those LED lights that show ERP charges.

The device itself is not a hazard IMO. It's always the driver. There are signs that says "Red Light Camera Ahead" but do ppl pay attention to them or they are simply going so fast everything becomes a blur? Maybe some here are right about the chiobu along the street.