Monthly $1,700 income was deemed too low - true or false

Hishercar

http://www.tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,180757,00.html?

Although no reasons were offered by the ministry on why his application was rejected, Mr Kanna said an MOM officer told him that it was because his monthly $1,700 income was deemed too low to support a family.

Since when did the authorities have the power to decide who can get married because his salary is low.

I have heard of families with children and a total family income of just $1200 and are still very happy.

Is the newspaper reporting accurate?

Edited by Hishercar
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

This is so sad, separated because of government intervention. [shakehead]

It may not just be a case of low salary, there are many other factors to take into consideration I guess but they just don't reveal them. The newspaper reporting may be just a one-sided story.

Can I guess that you would be about 50 years old? This ruling came about in the 70's(as far as I remembered, maybe 60's even), when Malaysian working in Singapore can easily get married to Singaporean in Singapore. Not all though but some numbers were enough to send a signal to the government that something ought to be done to address this problem.

The problem was after marriage, they divorced so properties shared. Can you imagine the hard earned $ go to the other half, just like that? Then these divorced Malaysian married a Malaysian. And then you have another problem - the divorced Malaysian taking up SC. And what about their new spouse?

This is a very clear cut - once you have record that you worked in Singapore, you cannot married a Singaporean. I do have a Malaysian friend though then on a brown work permit who got married to a Singaporean but he was already holding a PR status.

Then I have a Singaporean colleague who brought in a China girl and they got approved pretty fast. Now all are Singaporean.

nod.gifnod.gif........... you can never guess what the gahman is thinking. beside if they really reveal the reason, pple would then find ways to exploit the loophole and u would have more problems handling the problem... sweatdrop.gif

well i guess this is a trade-off between what to reveal and how much to reveal.

Neutral Newbie

i think the authority is not stopping the guy from marrying his gf, but rather if he go ahead without the approval, then it's likely that his gf might not be allow to stay in Singapore..

The point MOM trying to send across is that they dun want foreigners to come in to Singapore on the pretext of work but in fact is to try to settle down here.

This case would definitely be different now if say -the man is a high income individual earning maybe 8k above.. and his gf has worked in Singapore as a high-skilled worker too. MOM would approve straightaway without blinking!!! [:p]

So the gov is afraid that more and more low skilled workers would try to settle down in Singapore, creating a social burden in the long run if they cannot make any economical contributions to the country.

I also watch a case on TV where a couple has 2 children and hardly make ends meet. Hence when they seek financial assistance from gov, the gov would agreed to help on condition that the wife go for a surgery to prevent future pregnancy. So the gov is trying to discourage local low income families from having more than 2 children too..

Twincharged

errr.... actually i was trying to say that some of these marriages are just to allow the "foreign spouse" to remain here in SG to make a living. the local spouse will be paid a fee for helping the foreign spouse to stay here until they can get PR or whatever.

btw, u guess wrong ..... still very far.

This gahmen like to do social engineering.

They tell you who you can marry, how many kids you can have, how you should travel, how you should live and breath.

Step out of line, you get wacked. So better behave according to their rules, not yours.

And they also want you to be creative and innovative. hur.gif

Yes, the newspaper is correct in this case. All the ministeries have hidden ace cards. You are welcome to apply but you will always be rejected.

At least MOM should give a clear concise reply on the rejection.. [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead] Rules and regulations are made by human. They should look at the merits to exercise flexibility. Juz dun understand their rigidness. All followed by books blindly

That is not right, In our parents time, they are also poor bearing more kids. Times may change. The living standard may change. How can you stifle child birth ? i suppose that the family involved will decide whether or not to born more child on their financial health. No parents will want the child to suffer if they have the choice [:/]

↡ Advertisement