Current market rates for wedding ang pows

Tiek

Neutral Newbie

Hey folks,

dunno why suddenly have so many wedding invitations for this Nov and Dec. Any of you know what's the current ang pow rate for the following?

(1) Wedding dinner (hotel)

(2) Wedding dinner (restaurant)

(3) Solemnisation (hotel) - first time I heard of such thing

(4) Church wedding

Tks in advance. [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Pay according to closeness of relationship. If you hate them, just put $2 or newspapers but if you 2 are close friends, pay as follow...

1)$100 - $150(depending on hotel rating)

2)$60-100(depending on restaurant rating)

3)Soleminsation need to give ang pow meh? Just buy a gift.

4)Just buy a gift.

Based on given info, this is what I could think of but it would be better if you provided more details.

My old classmate invited me to this really grand wedding dinner at a 5 star hotel. He discreetly told me no need to give ang pows - all donated to charities. I think it's the best dinner I had. Wine wine, red wine,dessert wine of all kinds and varieties.You can drink until you faint!!!

Suckling pig,cold dish, special boiled herbal chicken, individual braised shark's fin - real solid fins not faked ones , individual one whole piece abalone dish, everything individual...scallops, big prawns,cod fish, even delicious steak!...a fusion dinner of sorts with grand desserts...The decorations alone cost the couple thousands and thousands...Everything was so opulent and so grand I can't even smell it. But I was the guest there! Wow! simply unforgettable. The couple were very humble but it was the millionaire father who paid for everything!!! Unforgettable wedding dinner!!!

My hard earned angpow? $120. My friend told me not to worry about the angpow.Come,eat and enjoy yourself! How many such good friends do we have in this world? Esp when you are down and out with no job and no income? Thank God I've one.

1. Normal Friend - no point attending.

Waste my time, waste their time just sincere well wishes

2. Good Friend $128

3. Very Good Friend $188 plus assistance

4. Very good old Friend $268 and above. Plus assistance.

Neutral Newbie

When I was still a student = $50 (hotel)

When I started working = $108 (hotel)

Solemnisation - No angpow, few friends chipped in to get some vouchers/gift

Church wedding = never attended before.

Some hotels near to city....still have $499 / table menu. Sometimes they are NETT, sometimes ++. So even after ++, if you give $80, sometimes still can scrap thru? Considering Beer/Wine is normally extra.

I personally think AngBao should be based on how much one can afford. I always say if I can afford to treat them to 6* hotel, that means I don't need them to "subsidise" me. Therefore, I think I treat my friend's wedding the same. If they are inviting me to a cheap restaurant, I will still give them my standard rate ang bao, regardless of location.

I got 1 friend....the type that wants "face" - invited me to Ritz Carlton. I gave her an amount which surely+confirm cannot cover her $1200+?/table cost. Mine was a conscientious decision. She can show off, that means she has what it takes. She shouldn't be waiting to open up the angbaos and paying up after dinner.

i actually share your viewpoint. i too give std rate irregardless of venue (abt $100 for colleagues and normal frens). if the couple choose ex location is becos they think they can afford the "glam" and not expect and become guests' burden to subsidise them.. just think it is not right. anyway, worst is some choose ex sounding location but opt for the cheapest menu. pardon me but really look bad for the host when the dish is too "thin". on other hand, some choose restaurant but food "value" got standard. So hence another reason i dun pay base on location.

Hey folks,

dunno why suddenly have so many wedding invitations for this Nov and Dec. Any of you know what's the current ang pow rate for the following?

(1) Wedding dinner (hotel)

(2) Wedding dinner (restaurant)

(3) Solemnisation (hotel) - first time I heard of such thing

(4) Church wedding

Tks in advance. [:)]

depends on the hotel and restaurant... can go from 80 to 188 for normal friends..

for (3) & (4), can give gifts or vouchers.. but frankly, cash ang bao and let the couple buy what they want..

At times, it's not just about how good you know the people but how you want people to know u.

give too little and you wouldn't know what people will be saying behind u....

i oso sian..i muslim.aredy attended 1..earlier..nov/dec got 3 weddings.all in hotel in town...all close frds & colleagues.

sian to attend chinese wedding,pay so much.wait so long for dinner to start.then by the time dinner end..nearly 11pm.

usu i pay $100..i c the chinese tables eat roast chicken,sharks fin etc..i eat briyani set..haiz.& pple can say the briyani set cost more.

best part is in the past..i give $80-150 to my chinese frds...my void deck wedding..some bring 4-5 person,put $20 & dare to write name some more.

really dont understd the point.feel like putting $20 in next wedding. [thumbsdown]

for my wedding, I plan to donate all my ang pows $ to charity too. Would be telling friends to come with just a sincere heart. No cash gift needed.

If they insist on cash gift, then please give generously cos all proceeds would be going to a better cause.

for the wedded couple, theres no better gift for a start..having their special day contribute to a charitable and worthy cause...

My old classmate invited me to this really grand wedding dinner at a 5 star hotel. He discreetly told me no need to give ang pows - all donated to charities. I think it's the best dinner I had. Wine wine, red wine,dessert wine of all kinds and varieties.You can drink until you faint!!!

Suckling pig,cold dish, special boiled herbal chicken, individual braised shark's fin - real solid fins not faked ones , individual one whole piece abalone dish, everything individual...scallops, big prawns,cod fish, even delicious steak!...a fusion dinner of sorts with grand desserts...The decorations alone cost the couple thousands and thousands...Everything was so opulent and so grand I can't even smell it. But I was the guest there! Wow! simply unforgettable. The couple were very humble but it was the millionaire father who paid for everything!!! Unforgettable wedding dinner!!!

My hard earned angpow? $120. My friend told me not to worry about the angpow.Come,eat and enjoy yourself! How many such good friends do we have in this world? Esp when you are down and out with no job and no income? Thank God I've one.

Edited by Davidtkl

reason for many invites is ppl plan wedding around 1 year in advance. so u can say many ppl wana get married last year end. solemnisation i believe is the official marriage ceremony. reason being the church pastor does not have official license so can only conduct in church. the signing will be done at the hotel. church wedding can give around 30-50 unless close friend. dinner these days is around 100.

Edited by Felipe
↡ Advertisement