Singapore Automotive Journalism - What rubbish.

Miketow

I have to agree with your view in general.

Recently, I bought a copy of the local motor magazine on the review of one of the "large" size car launched recently, to my disappointment, it seems ther article is more based on the information gathered from manufacturer press release. There is not much substance in terms of the opinion of the reviewer. I have the impression no proper test drive has been conducted or the article is written by inexperienced person.

In my view, most of the local car magazine is not up to par in the quality of the article. Most of the opinion expressed is very subjective according to the reviewer. Some basic statistic e.g. performance 0-100km timing, interior sound level, fuel consumption, depreciation cost, are not tested or made available. I have to agree there are a lot of aspects of a car cannot be shown in the specifications, e.g. handling, but by having some useful statistics, it gives the reader a better idea for comparison between different models.

The consumer in Singapore has gotten more sophisitacted, readers of car magazine would like to be kept informed with expert opinion as value add to car purchasing decission.

Edited by Kalmath

Neutral Newbie

yes... rubbish...

unlike top gear UK, they can talk (good and bad) and punish the car real hard but yet funny...

dunno will kena sue or not, if singapore do the same... lol

Is it me or is that Julian guy quite a bad presenter.. Just found the way he spoke quite unnatural and weird.

Anyway when the car was being 'pushed', did anyone catch a glimpse of a jogger by the roadside flash past?

How dangerous! [mad]

They should at least recce and close the road or do it in a more secluded place. [thumbsdown]

Anyway, seems like Julian is easily impressed by clear lights, few chrome bits and the aux input.

I thought nowadays is USB already, aux input to plug in hi-fi radio? [:/]

Edited by Yc86

Wah lou....he try too hard liao. Totally out of tune. So fake!!!! [thumbsdown][thumbsdown][thumbsdown]

Tell him to learn from the pros rah.

Anyone wana buy a Azera ????? [:p][:p][:p]

Edited by Hiphiphoray

[laugh] Whoa it's tough to be an auto journalist in sg. If say the things dealers want to hear, kenna [rifle] up down left right by forummers. If say what forummers want to know especially the bad points, can say goodbye to career....for good.

Somemore being judge to the point of being weird and unnatural. Phew! Thank goodness he wasn't wearing hello kitty sunglasses or else ppl will say he act cute. [laugh]

I take it as a rough guide for ppl who know nuts about cars or interested in buying that car. For car enthusiast I suggest u guys go read on international, better established car reviews. [:p][laugh]

yes... rubbish...

unlike top gear UK, they can talk (good and bad) and punish the car real hard but yet funny...

dunno will kena sue or not, if singapore do the same... lol

I seriously think these car magazines should learn from International publisher. Need not look far to UK or US, just look at car review in Taiwan, the article has much better substance.

the problem may be if the review is bad, the reviewer may not be able to get cars for his next review..... nevertheless, most of our local reviews are too polite, very little in depth details. However, even Top Gear reviewers have their bias on certain makes.

I didn't bother to click the URL. Anyway, what sort of test drive can you get in Singapore? Unlike foreign countries, where they have race tracks, vast roads, unbeaten tracks to test drive, sure can give better review than the local fellows.

Local magazines test what? 0-100km/h, from 100km/h to 200km/h? 30km non-stop cruising to test fuel consumption? devil corners? I think at most appreciate interior comfort and soundproofing [laugh].

These days, I only buy foreign auto magazines from Taiwan, very in-depth and creative analysis and cheaper in prices. Ang Mo ones too expensive and Taiwanese one are actually closer to Asian perception and tastes.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

That part gong past the jogger seems to be speeded up, i.e. the video is fast-forwarded. That part just don't look that 'real' to me.

Neutral Newbie

I am surprised that in this day & age of Top Gear/Fifth Gear TV every other day and cheap Top Gear Magazines being gobbled up by Singaporeans - local Auto Journalists can still produced shamelessly biased car reviews (with absolutely ZERO negatives!) without feeling silly about it.

It is an insult to the intellect of the average Singapore buyer that they keep feeding us these 20th century standard of car reviews and expect us to derive any buyer value out of it.

[hur]