How long can tyres tahan heat from long drive ?

Darth_mel

Neutral Newbie

Treadwear or traction rating, normally together with temperature rating is the UTGQ (or Uniform Tyre Quality Grade) labelling. Doesn't really have much to do with your day to day operation of your tyres. Won't go into the intricacies on UTGQ here.

As i think Boyboy mentioned, the most important aspects is correct pressure vis-a-vis speed and load.

Always follow your car manufacturer's recommended pressures (unless you upsize / less common...downsize) your tyres. If its normally just you and another in Singapore then inflate to the normal recommended pressure. If you carry your entire family (wife/husband, 2.1kids, maid, grandma/pa) and a boot load of stuff (golf bags, stroller, water, work stuff, bricks, lead, gold, etc) then it might be advisable to follow the laden recommended pressure.

High speed and fully laden pressure is the same and typically is approximately 10% above normal pressure. Technically, high speed means anything equal to or above 160km/h...which largely only applies if you head to the autobahn in the north.

With a tread depth gauge, your tyres will tell you a story as to whether you are consistently running at correct pressure of under/over-inflated. Sadly, 70% of Singaporeans are under-inflated.

Edited by Doug
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Heat is the number 1 enemy of tyres. But, there are different sources of heat that your tyres are subjected to. There are those that are ambient heat where there is little or nothing you can do to prevent, for example, heat from the engine, brakes, exhaust, road, atmosphere, etc.

Then there is heat generated from the tyre itself. This is from friction of the tyre against the road and also from the flex of the sidewall. At proper inflation, the amount of sidewall flex will be within acceptable operating parameters and there shouldn't be any problems arising from heat that will affect your tyres.

However, the more you under-inflate, the more the sidewall will flex, and the more heat will be generated. Too much under-inflation and too much heat generated as a result, may damage your tyres. It will definitely reduce your tyres life by accelerating wear and is generally not safe as it negatively affects your vehicles handling, stopping and aquaplaning capabilities.

Remember to inflate an additional 4psi / 25kpa to your hot tyres to account for the expansion of air. Remember that your recommended pressure is 'cold' pressure, ie. pressure reading taken first thing in the morning before the car has been driven. Anything more than 1.5kms will have increased the pressure in your tyres already so unless the petrol station is literally next door to your house....

If you're driving long distance, eg. from SG to Penang (like what I did back in 2006) in a semi-non-stop manner, you'd like to consider the following points.

1. Inflate to the recommended tire pressure in SG

2. Check tire pressure every 100+ km and reduce it by a few bars as heat causes the pressure to go up

3. Do the check of (2) every 100+ km and note the side walls for any side of cracks due to heat / road fatigue (usually does not happen for most street tires)

There's a very good reason why even F1 cars stop to have their tires replaced / checked at regular pit stop intervals. We should do the same when we're driving long distances.

Generally, tires can take the heat of constant non stop driving without any cause for worry. I've driven non-stop from the first Petronas station after Tuas all the way to KL before on a single tank of petrol and the tires were fine when I reached KL.

ic..Very diff to comment on tyres coz tyres ratings are very subjective..Different manufacturers have different ratings on their tyres i guess..

They do, it is a industry standard isn't it ?

Brother Chromas,sorry to say that i am not agreed with your advices.

2) not practical to check every 100km+ and how to drop the pressure by few bar? when most of the tyres are inflated to around 2 bars. like that the tyre will be running at near Zero pressure [sweatdrop]

3) no need to check for sidewall crack due to heat along the way,sidewall crack is generally due to aging/underinflation for prolong time(few weeks).

F1 cars stop to check pressure also use for research purpose,and those tyre are constructed for special used only so some of the procedures are not neccesary for normal car for normal drivng.

Brother DOUG and Furrynadz have said clearly the logic and i fully support.

Just to share some info about Pressure versus Heat for tyre.

You are recommended to run slightly higher pressure for long distance high speed driving normally is 10% higher for all or 15-20% higher for Rear if you carry heavy load or full load for MPV.

All this incresed in pressure is to prevent overheating to your tyre.

Is good to check presure along the trip stopover can help you to discover any pressure lost on any tyre that could be leaking due to punctured or air valve failure.

running on low pressure tyre could lead to heat generated and heat is the biggest enemy to Rubber this could lead to tyre failure(sorry to say Explosion)

Sorry, my bad on the pressure bit. I meant in terms of PSI using one of those tire gauges with a little pin for releasing air.

As for the sidewall cracks, unless the person bumps his tires against some kerb every now and then, again there would be nothing to worry about.

I guess my input is meant for those who want to lower the pressure a little over a long distance to reduce the fatique on the tire and get better grip at the same time.

bro, hope u dun be angry but i think your advice is wrong and very dangerous. My car manual's recommended pressure says: max load pump 250kpa, minimum load pump 210kpa. The reason is the more load there is, the more pressure and heat wll be generated and only tyre with higher air pressure can take these added pressure and heat

the more air you release from tyre throughout long distance drive means there is lesser air in tyre. less air in tyre = much higher pressure in tyre, very dangerous situation for high speed and long distance drive.

i've heard from my friend that 1 of the car in their convoy to Cameron H.Land had a tyre situation. Basically someway in the journey other driver notice that his tyre loks underinflated and told him, he ignores it (i think he prefers that the tyre be more comfortable as its now softer). Nothing happens throughout NS Highway and upon reaching Cameron and when all cars moved into the carpark, the tyre exploded and sounds like a gunshot (best part is his tyre is 18" and no tyre shop in cameron has stock and they have to go Ipoh to purchase 1 up, waste more time and more $$). That chap was so damn lucky as if it exploded on NS Highway or on the slope up cameron, i think hhis entire famly can kiss the world goodbye.

personally my car recommends 210kpa for minimal load and 250kpa for maximum load, i pump 230-250kpa for normal day to day driving. When on long distance and full load, i will pump 250-260kpa. during hot day and long drive, the presure will increase by around 25-40kpa (max i think, the range of 25-40 is from my self measurement from my tyre gauge)

therefore should my tyre pressure reaches max presure 250kpa+40kpa = 290kpa, it is still within maximum tyre pressure as indicated on tyre (340kpa at maxinum permissible load for 205/50r16).

Less tyre pressure = softer tyre = more comfortable ride = more pressure experience between rim & tyre = more heat henerated.

therefore lesser pressure means comfort but does not means safer tyre presure.

I use N2 for my tyres. I'm also using TPMS and pump to 36 PSI for each 225/45/17 tyre. TPMS helps me to monitor the temperature and pressure of each tyres constantly and it is very useful for long distance drive on NSH.

Regards,

No offence taken. thumbsup.gif

I didn't mean for people to under-inflate their tires. I think my bad in terms of explanation laugh.gif

I'm not asking people to constantly release the pressure in their tires sweatdrop.gif

Typically, I'd drive long distance, eg. Singapore to Penang with just slightly reduced tire pressure, knowing that they would expand due to the heat.