Rim spec

Chogokin

5.5j is the rim width. its taken into consideration when looking at tyres sizes to fit ur ride. and yes,the model in that spec is that small,its meant for kei cars like the one featured in the link..

Sorry i am a bit newbie in this area...

i always tot when looking for tyres, normally it's a 3 figure thingy...

like 205 55R16, 185 55R15

how does the 5.5 fit into here when selecting for tyres...? [blush]

Hi all,

What does this mean 16x5.5J? I refering to the 5.5J . Cannot be 5.5 inch ba , so small for a 16" rim ? Pls refer to the spec below.

http://www.5zigen.co.jp/products/wheel/pro...r/GN+_forK.html

Thanks all

16 x 5.5

16 is the Rim diameter.

5.5 is the thickness or the depth.

Here is a 17 x 7 rim

IMG_2478.jpg

Yes it is in inches.

Edited by Super410

yup,when looking for tyres sizes,they are in 3 figure ie:205 55 16. means 205 is the length of the tyre contact point wif the road in mm, 55 means tyre thickness express as a percentage of the first figure (55%of 205mm), and last figure is the rim size it fits.

but when chosing tyre sizes,the rim must fit the tyre properly. there is a tolerance level that a particular rim width will fit diff length of tyres(first figure).

an example: i am running 265/35/18 on my rears, my rim width should be between 9jj to 10.5jj. my fronts are running on 235/40/18, my rim width should be between 8jj to 9.5jj. so i chose 8.5j for my front and 9.5j for my rears.

use this quick link to help u calculate ur original rim sizes wif aftermarket rim sizes:

http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

remember when u upgrade sizes,be in within 2.5%tolerance level,or ur speedo will be out of calibration. also check that ur wheel arch are big enuff to fit wider and fatter tyres.

5.5 means you can use tyre with width from 155 to 205, the ideal tyre width for that rim is somewhere in between like 175-185.

Edited by Kr_toy

Lets take 6.5JJ is the width of rim, NOT diameter of the rim, express in inches. Thus converted to mm will be approx = 165.1mm. Taking a tire width of say 195mm, the rim should be btn 75%-90% of the tire width, thus 165.1 / 195 X 100% = 84.667, which is within the tolerance. Off course a little below or above the numbers are ok.

Hoped this clarifies all doubts/questions. Once you understand it, its simple maths and not some gut feel or "agar agar".

• Praise 1

"an example: i am running 265/35/18 on my rears, my rim width should be between 9jj to 10.5jj. my fronts are running on 235/40/18, my rim width should be between 8jj to 9.5jj. so i chose 8.5j for my front and 9.5j for my rears"

Lucky you did not choose the 10.5JJ for the rears and the 9.5JJ for the fronts. Cos they both are wider than the tyres ( more than 100%). Very dangerous. As it is both the widths you chose are a little over the range. (75-90)

• Praise 1

well if i go 9.5 10.5, i would fit at least 245/40/18 n 275/35/18. u know in europe,they love to have wide rims and thin tyres to further accentuate their bling bling rims. anyway,i'm sticking to sizes that most of my bros of similar make run on,so no worries there.

Hi, very useful tips here, and thanks.

so can you help to verify my case?

my original tire is 235/40R18, i not sure my rim size and i no idea where to see it on the RIM, but i try get from google is 8J x 18, my car is honda civic 1.5 turbo face lift.

so my questions in, when my tire worn out time i wanna change a smaller one, either 215/45R18 or 225/45R18. which one is fine?

base on your explanation the tire should be 10~25% wider than RIm width... so i think 215/4R18 is out??? 

On 11/18/2008 at 9:27 PM, Akula said:

Lets take 6.5JJ is the width of rim, NOT diameter of the rim, express in inches. Thus converted to mm will be approx = 165.1mm. Taking a tire width of say 195mm, the rim should be btn 75%-90% of the tire width, thus 165.1 / 195 X 100% = 84.667, which is within the tolerance. Off course a little below or above the numbers are ok.

Hoped this clarifies all doubts/questions. Once you understand it, its simple maths and not some gut feel or "agar agar".

7 minutes ago, Vince218 said:

Hi, very useful tips here, and thanks.my original tire is 235/40R18, i not sure my rim size and i no idea where to see it on the RIM, but i try get from google is 8J x 18, my car is honda civic 1.5 turbo face lift.

huh? if u using back the same rim, u use back the same size.tyre

to verify your original size u can open your drive side door and look inside. should be stated there  , or at the passanger side. 

dun go change to smaller width tyre , unless u changing to a narrower rim

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
On 12/29/2020 at 3:57 PM, Beregond said:

huh? if u using back the same rim, u use back the same size.tyre

to verify your original size u can open your drive side door and look inside. should be stated there  , or at the passanger side. 

dun go change to smaller width tyre , unless u changing to a narrower rim

Referring to the 1st pic below is ,my car honda civic turbo, the RIM is 8' width equip with 235mm tire width,

while referring to a BMW 218i coupe, the M sport RIM is also 8' width but can equip with 225mm tire width.

so with this reference i think should be ok to smaller to 225mm width size for my original RIM......

what do you think?

image.png.107b7e78c4cc67d1353b03f094cf7984.pngimage.thumb.png.e32c88b0c42384b6d8bac70c3ada6067.png

↡ Advertisement