Instant tweak - more responsive engine, lower FC

Drive_carcar

Just don't turn on the air-con whenever you can.

My Civic averaged 12km/l, after 1 week of running with as little use of air-con as possible, shot up to 14km/l. Pickup also faster, care feels lighter without air-con on.

↡ Advertisement

best if you don't wind down the window too as it causes drag.

also, over inflate the tyres slightly. usually 2-4 psi above recommended should do the trick. too much and you will have poor traction and/or risk tyre bursts.

Might as well strip out the compressor also to reduce drag since the aircon pulley will still "eat" some eng power even with a/c clutch off. Another drag reduction move -- take out the PS device as well lah ! Sure FC go up to 15 !

[laugh]

well two conditions:

1. i park my car under shade most of the time

2. my journeys are short

if it's too hot, i only turn the aircon on when decelerating because engine brake does the compressing. when i accelerate, i turn off the compressor and turn it back on when cruising.

what's the enjoyment of driving? well i enjoy driving with or without aircon/radio/passengers.

Wah. i cannot tahan driving without air-con.

And i don't like to open the windows, make the interior of the car dusty.

even driving 1 - 2km to nearby kopidiam in the evening to get my dinner, i must on the aircon too.

recently the afternoon sun is so hot, how to tahan without aircon? [sweatdrop]

Actually the point of my experiment is to figure out roughly what kind of condition will result in what kind of cost.

Here are some of my findings so far:

- with / without air-con = 2 km/l

- Highway and smooth traffic vs heavy traffic, lots of traffic lights = 3 - 4 km/l

- tyre pressure seem to work only one way. Under inflated gives bad FC, but over inflating doesn't improve FC that much. I have pump up to 10 psi above recommended pressure [sweatdrop] , doesn't help that much.

- Difference petrol grade = hard to tell difference, I have good FC with VPower, some lousy FC with 98, fantastic FC with 95 (13km/l).... my car is strange. But perf wise, there's no diff between 98 and vPower, however with 95, car feels lethargic. I have to stomp on the gas pedal more aggressively, gear changing also don't feel that smooth.

- Shell seem to work better for my car compared to Esso. Some of my worst FC was from Esso 98 - 8.5 and 9+ km/l on two occassions. I don't bother with SPC, haven't tried Caltex yet. Will try one of these days.

And there's also difference between taking fewer long trips vs numerous short trips. 1 long trip of 40 km is more fuel efficient than 4 short trips of 10 km. But it's quite hard to quantify the difference at this point.

The conclusion so far is, plan your trips and timings, try to use routes that are straight - turns and u-turns are not very efficient.

Agreed. But driving in S'pore w/out a/c is a torture [sweatdrop] ... However, the trade-off is lower FC. In fact If I driving alone, will off a/c. If my wife/son around, no choice hv to on..

U got the points.. like for which petrol company, mine also the same. Esso give me poorer FC while Shell better FC. I heard Caltex is not bad too..

Also one long trip is definitely better than many short trips.

There's also others like being light-footed (i.e dun rev), keep car as light as possible (e.g. remove spare tyre etc), keep speed bet 80 to 90km/hr, stick to regular car servicing etc etc.. will aid FC too..