Things to do upon collecting new car ?

Theman

Hi all,

Can anyone share as in what are the few thing have to do or to check when collecting new car?

Thanks a lot... :)

↡ Advertisement

It all depends, if you are collecting from a good AD, the SE will go through his checklist point by point. don't have to worry.

If not, check the body for ddefects/damages;

Check the cabin and try out all the control switches;

Check all the accessories given;

Pop the bonnnet and check the engine compartment, oil/fluid etc;

Check the boot for tools/spare tyre etc.

Try to do it in a systematic way so that you won't miss out any pertinent points!

Neutral Newbie

I think u can find these info easily if u do some search, anyway you should lookout for these:

External:

Dents & Holes

All Glass material condition

Paint condition

Spoiler mounting condition OR others comestic stuff you had paid along with vehicle (optional)

Tires condition

Rim condition

Exhaust condition

Brake pads

Internal:

Seats condition

Dashboard, side panel condition

Floor mats

mirror

arm rest

Compartment

Spare tires

car jack

Electronics:

Headlight High/low beam

Signal

Aircon

Cabin light

Hazard light

Meters

Or watever u can on/off juz test it

Engine:

Check for spare fuse

Piping connection

all fluid level

Anyone have more to type, free feel to add on

I think there is a new car checklist in the Resources folder.

Saw it before. Dunno whether still around or not.

You can go and search for it. [thumbsup]

The fact that u ask this question, i can only guess that u are a first time owner. (hope i am not too long winded).

What I did, I just check the obvious :

- car body paint , dents

- seats, leather.

- solar film condition (if applicable)

- engine chasis number, log card details are correct.

- ask the SE to run thru the delivery list.

- take note of the things said to be installed are installed, sign and go.

- don't bother about the millage on the meter, be alarm only when 1million km on it. :)

any little defects can wait till I come back for servicing.

just take your time and be nice on the road :)

u will need things like : cash card, parking coupon and season parking sorted out too.

Neutral Newbie

Congrats!

Below is from a Mazda forum.. Really Helpful!!

Interior:

1. Master lock, individual lock, child lock

2. Window lock, power windows (at driver side and at individual side)

3. Electric mirrors

4. Headlight switch, signal switch, high beam, fog lamp (if applicable), hazard signal switch

5. Wiper switch (make sure each speed is correct), wiper spray

6. Make sure dashboard lights come on when the headlights are switched on.

7. Make sure information lights on the dashboard are lit at relavant times (eg. high beam symbol, parking brake symbol)

8. Horn, steering wheel adjusting lever

9. Boot and fuel tank cover lever

10. Seat adjuster

11. Mirrors

12. Aircon vents (make sure they can move freely)

13. Aircon (go through each fan speed, make sure the power is strong enough), defogger

14. Radio/CD player

15. Gear shift able to move freely.

16. If yours is an auto, make sure you have to step on the brake to shift out of Park, and the car can only start in N or P position.

17. Glovebox

18. Handbrake & check handbrake lights

19. Carpet (check if it is dirty or not)

20. check for leather folding or for cracks on leather seats

21. Speakers

22. Make sure the distance on the odometer is reasonable (should be less than 20km at the very most if youre collecting from the distributing centre. If the car is delivered to your doorstep, the distance may vary.)

23. Owner's manual

24. Seat belts (test them by pulling them hard in a fast movement. The seat belts should lock).

25 check interior lighting

26 check windows and doors mechanism (open and close)

27 check radiator level, battery fluid level, brake fluid, engine oil, clutch fluid

28 Spare tyre, jack, tools and warning (hazard) triangle

29 Bring two CD to check changer

Exterior:

1. Headlights (high/low beam), front clearance lights, signal lights, brake lights, tail lights.

2 check all lights (reversing, brakes, high beam, low beam, fog)

3 check reverse sensor beeping and signal lights

4 check boot lights and license plate lights

5 Check suspensions (press down on the 4 corners and release, the car should bounce back in one smooth motion and stay there without vibrations)

6. Windows and windscreen (check for stains or scratches)

7. Door handles (whether they are able to open the doors)

8. Alarm lock

9. Lock using key

10. Opening boot with key

11. Look around the body for any scratches or dents.

12. Check the tyres for any holes or punctures

13. Check the rims for scratches

14. Radio antenna (should automatically come out when radio is used)

15 Check for paint chips, cracks, scratches and dents

Under the bonnet:

1. Check the levels of fluids (eg. engine oil, brake fluid, battery water). If the levels are low, it could mean that there's a leak somewhere.

2. Make sure that the chassis and engine number are indicated near the firewall and that the numbers tally with those on your log card.

Others:

1. Road tax disc

2. Vehicle log card contains correct information

3. Insurance information is correct.

4. check the colour, make and model of the car to make sure its the car u ordered

3. Check that the fuses for the horn, headlamps etc are there.

Btw - Just a query to all....

In the instant when you collect your new car ...Let's say touch wood ...you found some unslightly dent .(Minor one but noticable)

Let's say you point it out to your AD or PI . DO you expect them to change a entire new car of similar model and colour for you ? (Is it possible since if i am not wrong everything should be registered already) Or do we just expect touchup from them ?

no nid change car but touch up not acceptable.

If door dent, change door. bumper dent change bumper.

if nid to cut out part dent like roof, then ask for touch up & more discount lor.

but most of the time, they will already check and touch up until we wont now right?

Wow, and your SE will be wondering when the heck u will want to leave the collection centre with your car.

I thought your SE will go thru the basic stuff with u? Anyway there's manufacture's warranty and as if u get a one to one car exchange for a small defect. [rolleyes]

Edited by Watwheels

If the knock/dent is not noticable when u inspect the car during the collection, i won't even bother to go back if somehow found out later there is a little dent here and there, i won't be so sure if that the factory defect or just bad luck kena knock after I drove out. :) Minor issue to me.

More serious issue is leaks, where rubber seal not fitted well that boot get flooded etc. :)

Neutral Newbie

This happened to my friend. a small dent..and he got touch up for it and for him the touch up is a petrol voucher...

Ixiz's question was about you noticing the dent when u collect the car.

If after collection then notice, no choice but to accept it. nod.gif

major issue claim warranty right?

anyhow every time i collect new car sure rain and test if car is waterproof laugh.gif

Edited by Osiris

No lah.. she was happily anticipating my car at the voiddeck... once stopped she was enthusiastically splashing the water all over the car... especially the number plates..

And mumbling something lah.. the word 'Tio' should be in her chant Im pretty sure.

Well .. Problem like you said . The dent happens to be on top of the roof ...3 very obvious dent . From far when walking to the car can see already . (That time the car happens to be in the polishing Center appointed by the PI)

Called up my PI immediately ... First reaction say will change another car for me ...i was like huh ? Possible mei ? All registered already .

Anyway ...waited another 4 - 5 days for it ...Well ...it's the same old car ...i knew because there were okay very slight marking which i knew . So obviously the car was not change . Anyway . i just got to live with it lor ...since touch up already swee swee ... i also rest my case .

But was thinking .. Like say happen to be the first day collecting new car and some major issue is detected how ah ? (Say for Eg - Start Engine ...car vibrating like nobody business) ...Do one expect to change a new car ? (Possible) Or just sent for service and service again ?

↡ Advertisement