SingTel - Launches First Location Tracker Service for Consumers

Guyver

SingTel - Launches First Location Tracker Service for Consumers  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes! I'll activate it for my other half's mobile phone.
    • Yes! I'll activate it for my own mobile phone.
    • Yes! I'll activate it for my sales people's mobile phone.
    • No, I'll not wanna use it at all for now.

Dear all,

SingTel is launching this new service, which from what I know, been already commonly used in M'sia.

Would you wanna use it?

=================================================================

SingTel Launches First Location Tracker Service for Consumers

Locator lets mobile users know whereabouts of loved ones in Singapore

Singapore, 26 November 2008

↡ Advertisement

i think its just another new technology thats intruding our privacy more in this modern era. no-no for me. i mean like how will u feel if u're out then u receive a notification that asks for your permission to be located by your parents/guardians/gf bf? LOL.thumbsdown.gif

wah lidat....mistresses location and hubby location can be tracked nia...

hubby say, 'I going Lokyang'

Wife say ' but you went to loyang le'...i saw you on my hpsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

let's see .... their now rolling it out to the public.

That means its already in place, tried & tested for who knows how long already. Its a bit too late to be paranoid now.

And whether there's any big-brother watching ur every move, you'll never know.

i would say, has it's pro and cons.... some would love to have such service but some would say "go to hell".....well, as usual, let the market force to decide.... those want to subscribe, go ahead and those who don't really bother, like me, just ignore lor...

i know st has many many types of extra service and i have non of it..... i just need a phone line to make a phone call and sms..... [laugh] oohh... btw, i do have one... just remeber..... the stupid dont know what "auto sms reply" when i didnt pick up/answer the phone, something like that..... im forced to sign it up for 6mth contract, $2/mth, when i sign up for the ST mobile bb.... anyway, i dont know how to set it up and didnt even bother to and just waiting for the day to cancel it... [:p]

same here .... forced to take up a min of 6 mths ST mob bb with my current plan.

wth, I don't even need that. my phone is wifi capable, use mobile bb for what ? [hur] but cannot cancel until 6 mths later. can only ll pay for 6 mths then cancel this so called "VAS". one more month to go .... [bounce2]

on that day i applied the bb, i asked.. can i pay now for all the 6mth subs of $12 ($2/mth) and u cancel it tomorrow?...he said cannot..... LL lor.. i always worry i forgot to cancel ... anyway, mine is due in jan..... soon.... [laugh]

sometimes I just can't understand the logic of these ppl. there's no diff in holding me for 6 mths or I pay upfront & cancel it immediately. I still pay the same amount.

think it has something 2 things:

1) SGreans are generally a complacent lot. after a while they get used to it & will forget. Hence, can continue to charge for the service.

2) probably has something to do with mkt share figures. Looks good on paper that you have 'so many' mobile bb' subscribers compared to ur competitor.

wah lidat....mistresses location and hubby location can be tracked nia...

hubby say, 'I going Lokyang'

Wife say ' but you went to loyang le'...i saw you on my hpsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

hubby: "but i say loyang la.. u hear sala [sweatdrop][sweatdrop] "

If phone is off, of couse they won't know where u are, but they will also know you are "offline", so better find good excuses for the absence. laugh.gif

batt flat??.... then wife will say, ok, this time round is batt flat and nah, carry this extra batt with you......... this excuse cannot use again... [laugh]

i think its just another new technology thats intruding our privacy more in this modern era. no-no for me. i mean like how will u feel if u're out then u receive a notification that asks for your permission to be located by your parents/guardians/gf bf? LOL.thumbsdown.gif

Actually, its not really a new technology. Rather, its an old technology that has recently been made available to the general public.

A few years ago, some nokia phones has the function that displays which base station you are currently connected to. So By using this similar technology of which base station you are connected to, they r able to tell your location.

i'm not sure about that. i encountered the following:

i turned my fone off before leaving singapore airport. when i arrived melbourne and have not turned on my fone yet; then when someone called me, the caller received a voice activated message from the oz operator saying that optus is unable to reach the party you're calling. please call again later.......... i know it, 'cos the caller told me so when she next called me a couple of hours later...

can anybody explain the above?

i think the safest way is to leave your regular fone at home if you don't want to be traced, then carry another line with you whenever you go, albeit i dun need to retort to such action.

Edited by Alcapone