Irritating drivers filtering out with you from slip roads.

Chrispie

Hi guys..

Wonder if you guys encountered such stupid drivers..

I was along Fort road and is preparing to enter ECP towards changi, thus was driving along the slip road that joins with ECP. In front of me there is first a van, then an altis, then me. Usually when you are about the join the main expressway traffic, there is a chevron, then pass the chevron you will start to filter to the lanes on the right.

The van is slow, so driver decides to stays on left most lane. The altis is following closely behind the van, without any indication that he is gg to filter right. As the speed is slow, i signaled, checked blind spot and start to accel and filter to right..

Then at this moment, the stupid altis starts to edge out without any warning as my car nose is already at his rear wheels level. I honked and he just carried on his manouvre. To avoid an accident, i have no choice by to jz take avoidance measure and go right again.. then to my horror there is fast approaching white grandis, which has to slowed down as he witness what was happening infront and he was prepared...

To the Grandis, my sincere apologies.. to the altis uncle, please wake up your farking idea.

↡ Advertisement

Bro, some CB drivers are like this one ... [:|]

Jus cut out without any signal and without due care to other road users ... [mad]

They expect the whole world to know what is their next action [shakehead][shakehead][shakehead]

[thumbsup][thumbsup][thumbsup] to that Grandis driver too for not giving you a loud loud horning [nod][nod][nod]

i also kena before:

1) taxi come out of small road, never see me on big road. taxi engine compartment chui

2) i on slip road, going into e-way. people behind me chiong the chevron, go into e way, then don let me go in.....i think because i am slow [sweatdrop]

Bro, I encountered one which is even more jialat when I was still a "P" plater.

This guy behind me cut in from my right when I was filtering in to the PIE (had my right signal on), he drove across the chevron marking and forced me to stop abruptly to avoid colliding into him. What followed was a chain of 3-4 cars & 1 big container truck stopping just on my right, thank goodness nobody horned ("P" plate, so they pan chan??)

Can't you just wait, you moron? [sweatdrop]

this is normal.

Take it easy.

Driving in Singapore is about anticipation, and not "what is right". If you make anticipation as part of your driving, then you will enjoy your drive. If you insist on "what is right", then you will feel very miserable everyday and I would suggest you quit driving here.

i think some consideration will go a long way.. like the altis who jz filter out when my nose is already 1/3 pass his car show that he never bothered to check his blindspot, nor even look at this wing mirror.. assuming traffic is clear...

It takes 2 hands to clap.. apart from anticipating ppl's nx course of action, IF (as if?) everyone play ball, signal, check and filter properly, many accidents can be avoided..

I had a similar encounter once while driving along main roads though.

There's this car in front (a female driver btw), which is travelling slowly. Signalled my intention to overtake. Just as I was doing so, she just did the same. Not once, not twice, but thrice!!!! [furious]

She didn't even signalled her intention and just used my car as a shield!! Damn irritating!!!! [rifle]

And nope, I didn't do anything to irritate her in the first place.

From description, it seems Altis driver was content to crawl behind the van until he saw from rear mirror that you tried to overtake. His ego too big, so he blocked you .... simple reason, common one too ....

gd thing you didn't ram into the altis, accident claims and repairs are troublesome

Hi guys..

I was along Fort road and is preparing to enter ECP towards changi, thus was driving along the slip road that joins with ECP. In front of me there is first a van, then an altis, then me. Usually when you are about the join the main expressway traffic, there is a chevron, then pass the chevron you will start to filter to the lanes on the right.

The van is slow, so driver decides to stays on left most lane. The altis is following closely behind the van, without any indication that he is gg to filter right. As the speed is slow, i signaled, checked blind spot and start to accel and filter to right..

Then at this moment, the stupid altis starts to edge out without any warning as my car nose is already at his rear wheels level. I honked and he just carried on his manouvre. To avoid an accident, i have no choice by to jz take avoidance measure and go right again.. then to my horror there is fast approaching white grandis, which has to slowed down as he witness what was happening infront and he was prepared...

To the Grandis, my sincere apologies.. to the altis uncle, please wake up your farking idea.

Legally speaking, you have no right of way over the Altis.

He maybe a careless driver, but if you hit him or anyone else, you are more wrong than him.

Instead of taking avoidance action and swerving INTO the path of someone, the court's view is that you can just brake hard and kwaikwai form up behind the Altis. By your own admission you are still more than half a body length behind the Altis.

He may be a dumbass for not looking behind, but you are a bigger ass for creating such a situation, chevron or no chevron. The Grandis was prepared. You were not. So he is a better driver than you and he saved your ass.

There was a case many years ago where an overtaking motorcyclist smashed into a car (and killed himself) which suddenly turned right at that very moment without warning. It was ruled that the motorcyclist was 100% at fault. The priniciple here is that overtaking vehicles have NO right of way.

So suck it in and learn to be patient.

(edited)

Legally speaking, you have no right of way over the Altis.

He maybe a careless driver, but if you hit him or anyone else, you are more wrong than him.

Instead of taking avoidance action and swerving INTO the path of someone, the court's view is that you can just brake hard and kwaikwai form up behind the Altis. By your own admission you are still more than half a body length behind the Altis.

He may be a dumbass for not looking behind, but you are a bigger ass for creating such a situation, chevron or no chevron. The Grandis was prepared. You were not. So he is a better driver than you and he saved your ass.

There was a case many years ago where an overtaking motorcyclist smashed into a car (and killed himself) which suddenly turned right at that very moment without warning. It was ruled that the motorcyclist was 100% at fault. The priniciple here is that overtaking vehicles have NO right of way.

So suck it in and learn to be patient.

With due respect, i beg to differ.

Do note i mentioned my car nose is already at the altis' half body position. If he had just filtered regardless, he will DEFINITELY bang into me. Unless I jam brakes, I wont be able to avoid, and it will be a 50-50 case. Please also read carefully that I honked as i noticed him edging in, but the driver continued his way. And do also note that there could be a car right behind me, which could have bang into me as well. You said overtaking vehicle has no right of way. I am not exactly overtaking, but going to the right lane. It is the normal filter to the right to join the faster traffic scenario. This case is simply a case of the Altis driver taking the liberty to filter right WITHOUT checking, signaling, and not even heeding the warning of my continous honk.

It is easy to speak here on retrospect. But I will say with confidence, for anyone that encounter the same situation, he will take avoidance action by going to the right.

Just like cases where buses exit from the bus bays without any regard for approaching traffic on the left most lanes. How often do you see the approaching car stopped? 90% of the times the car will veer slightly to the right. When you are in motion, it makes little common sense to suddenly stop.

Edited by Chrispie

With due respect, i beg to differ.

Do note i mentioned my car nose is already at the altis' half body position. If he had just filtered regardless, he will DEFINITELY bang into me. Unless I jam brakes, I wont be able to avoid, and it will be a 50-50 case. Please also read carefully that I honked as i noticed him edging in, but the driver continued his way. And do also note that there could be a car right behind me, which could have bang into me as well. You said overtaking vehicle has no right of way. I am not exactly overtaking, but going to the right lane. It is the normal filter to the right to join the faster traffic scenario. This case is simply a case of the Altis driver taking the liberty to filter right WITHOUT checking, signaling, and not even heeding the warning of my continous honk.

It is easy to speak here on retrospect. But I will say with confidence, for anyone that encounter the same situation, he will take avoidance action by going to the right.

Just like cases where buses exit from the bus bays without any regard for approaching traffic on the left most lanes. How often do you see the approaching car stopped? 90% of the times the car will veer slightly to the right. When you are in motion, it makes little common sense to suddenly stop.

By posting such a complaint on the forum, you have done 2 things - reminded us that there are stupid drivers (yawn, nothing new here) and also exposed your own lack of situational awareness. The fact of the matter is that you put yourself into that situation. You created the conditions. If you had waited until the coast was clear to filter at a sharper angle moving well clear of the Altis idiot, then there would no problem. This fact you absolutely cannot disagree with. You were not driving an ambulance. No one was dying. There was no need to expose yourself to unnecessary risks even if someone was dying.

Hopefully, you have learned to be more patient after such an encounter. If not, you are doomed to test you own theory that you are in a 50-50 situation as to who will win the case. By your own admission, regardless of what degree you were supposedly "in front" of the Altis, the reality is that he is still in front. Whether it be by a wheel, a bumper or a headlight. As long as he is in front, there is no argument who has the right of way.

You can claim all you want that you are filtering right. The facts of any accident will only prove that you are and were overtaking him. You can make all kinds of claims about your intentions, the damage resulting from the moment of impact will PROVE that you were overtaking him. By your own admission you say that you were not exactly overtaking him. In other words you admit that it looks like you are overtaking him although you really intend to filter to the right.

The courts will be more likely to believe him if he says that he saw you coming behind very fast, overtake him suddenly, then swerve back into lane and right into his door when a lorry appeared in your blind spot.

Of course the best medicine for idiots like the Altis uncle is to smash into them and teach them a damned good lesson. Until we know for sure what our very last driving day is so that we won't have to bear the consequences of higher insurance premiums or repair a smashed up car, we just have to learn to avoid idiots like them. I too would just love to plough into them just to listen to what a smash up sounds like. But I have to forego that pleasure and in the meantime just constantly improve my road sense in anticipating idiotic behaviour.

And for that the Grandis driver is a much much better driver than you just because he was ready for what 2 idiots might do.

By posting such a complaint on the forum, you have done 2 things - reminded us that there are stupid drivers (yawn, nothing new here) and also exposed your own lack of situational awareness. The fact of the matter is that you put yourself into that situation. You created the conditions. If you had waited until the coast was clear to filter at a sharper angle moving well clear of the Altis idiot, then there would no problem. This fact you absolutely cannot disagree with. You were not driving an ambulance. No one was dying. There was no need to expose yourself to unnecessary risks even if someone was dying.

Hopefully, you have learned to be more patient after such an encounter. If not, you are doomed to test you own theory that you are in a 50-50 situation as to who will win the case. By your own admission, regardless of what degree you were supposedly "in front" of the Altis, the reality is that he is still in front. Whether it be by a wheel, a bumper or a headlight. As long as he is in front, there is no argument who has the right of way.

You can claim all you want that you are filtering right. The facts of any accident will only prove that you are and were overtaking him. You can make all kinds of claims about your intentions, the damage resulting from the moment of impact will PROVE that you were overtaking him. By your own admission you say that you were not exactly overtaking him. In other words you admit that it looks like you are overtaking him although you really intend to filter to the right.

The courts will be more likely to believe him if he says that he saw you coming behind very fast, overtake him suddenly, then swerve back into lane and right into his door when a lorry appeared in your blind spot.

Of course the best medicine for idiots like the Altis uncle is to smash into them and teach them a damned good lesson. Until we know for sure what our very last driving day is so that we won't have to bear the consequences of higher insurance premiums or repair a smashed up car, we just have to learn to avoid idiots like them. I too would just love to plough into them just to listen to what a smash up sounds like. But I have to forego that pleasure and in the meantime just constantly improve my road sense in anticipating idiotic behaviour.

And for that the Grandis driver is a much much better driver than you just because he was ready for what 2 idiots might do.

[sleeping]

[sleeping] Both you and the Altis were wrong.

But you cannot see your own error.

Are you always so arrogant when you are plainly wrong?

Do you ever lean?

Hi guys..

Happened to me before when i was a P-plater.

Mentioned it in one of the threads. Moron drivers!! [thumbsdown]

Bro, you only encountered one car, i had a whole stretch of 5-6 vehicles giving way to me without horning when they saw what happened to me [thumbsup]

in the first place do we need to signal when coming out from acceleration lane marking .

Edited by Dafansu

No offence but fairly speaking, if i were in that position, i'd brake hard and stay in lane rather than swerve into another lane and implicate a 3rd party. Even if i really did have to swerve, i'd keep myself within my lane and not cross the dotted line. It helped that this is an expressway so the lane width is greater.

I was guilty of throwing my wheel a couple of times when i was newer to driving (not that i'm very lao jiao now), but luckily for me there wasn't any car on the lane right of mine. Optimistically speaking, i take these incidents as good learning lessons. It just doesn't seem right to recklessly swing the wheel to evade an accident, yet risking another with a 3rd party.

I think driving involves a great deal of mind games. Sometimes it's just instinctive. It isn't as stressful as it sounds, but we just gotta be vigilant & imaginative and predict what the drivers around may do, and prep ourselves for defensive action. For example in this situation, your patience ran out and you decided to overtake. Chances are that the altis in front would do the same. Even though he didn't signal, there could be signs of him drifting rightward in his line suggesting he was preparing to cut out. Probably little acts like flashing the high beam a couple of times would signal your presence/intention better. Normally i'll try to be decisive. Either i do a quick pick-up and buzz off, or i bid my time and change all the way to the 1st or 2nd lane, where i feel safer overtaking. Of course 1st lane involves some etiquette of not road-hogging, but that's for another topic another day.

Nevertheless these are easier said than done. Your situation then could have been much more complex than we thought. But anyway this' just to exchange ideas here. The most important thing is that nobody was hurt in this incident.

Edited by Theatreofdreams

Hi guys..

It's just part and parcel of daily commuting on our SG roads... We should [rifle] all these inconsiderate drivers who change lanes without due care/signaling/checking blind spot... If I were you I would just horn the bugger like there's no tomorrow. [sly] [sly] [sly]

Edited by Nirxe
↡ Advertisement