Petrol injector 2 kaput

Genie47

As in the title.

Finally sent the car to AD. They troubleshoot and found that ignition is a little weak which is hard to believe. Coils changed at 110k and at 145k, changed the ignition wire set.

Then they most likely tried and found that injector number 2 can't fire.

They are now checking the electronic connections. My hunch is that there is signal from the ECU since CNG is smooth as butter. CNG "ECU" is just a pulse converter copying the petrol injector signals and then modifying the timing slightly. Either the connection towards the injector failed or the injector itself is a goner.

My suspicion is that the injector is a goner. This problem manifested itself slowly since 130k which is the start of this year. At first there is the backfiring just after start up. It just disappears after awhile. I even went on a trip up north in Sep with speeds hitting 140. Now, I have flashing CEL.

Car is still with the AD. Full diagnosis tomorrow. I think I'm the first car in this forum to have petrol injector failure.

↡ Advertisement

Which petrol kiosk and CNG stations you normally visit during weekends?

For me, i 'avoid' those run-down petrol kiosks that looked like it was there for the past 10-15+ years cos dunno how long the storage tanks were there and if they evem did any interval checks for filth accumulated inside bla bla bla

a workshop that i go to recently brought in a injector analysis machine, which analyse the injectors on spray pattern, volume, and some other stuff... if you need second opinion, can pm me for contact.

just sharing info... not related to the shop in anyway other than being a customer there...

3052352461_4c9280b487.jpg

I'm going to need that contact. Please PM me.

Anyway an update for everyone.

They would like to do a top overhaul and might need their top engineer to take a look at it. Could be a problem with the valves. So if there is anyone who knows how to do a proper top overhaul job, PM me. I told them to hold their horses. Maybe take the car in while I'm on vacation somewhere.

My conclusions:

CNG works well. Very well. So nothing is wrong mechanically with the engine.

Valve? Unlikely. CNG works.

Injector signal? Unlikely. CNG taps into the injector signals. So the CNG injectors are firing based on these signals. So the signal is getting through from the ECU.

Injector? Highly likely. This must be a first for MCF!

As in the title.

Finally sent the car to AD. They troubleshoot and found that ignition is a little weak which is hard to believe. Coils changed at 110k and at 145k, changed the ignition wire set.

Then they most likely tried and found that injector number 2 can't fire.

They are now checking the electronic connections. My hunch is that there is signal from the ECU since CNG is smooth as butter. CNG "ECU" is just a pulse converter copying the petrol injector signals and then modifying the timing slightly. Either the connection towards the injector failed or the injector itself is a goner.

My suspicion is that the injector is a goner. This problem manifested itself slowly since 130k which is the start of this year. At first there is the backfiring just after start up. It just disappears after awhile. I even went on a trip up north in Sep with speeds hitting 140. Now, I have flashing CEL.

Car is still with the AD. Full diagnosis tomorrow. I think I'm the first car in this forum to have petrol injector failure.

My chevy optra has one of its fuel injector mati within the first 6 mth of ownership way back in 2005 !!! and Starauto and the local GM support grp (GMDAC ?) said it was a 1 in a million chance of occurance !!!

Why don't you just changed that single no. 2 injector to see of problems go away. Injector is not too expensive $100+ i think.

Overhaul is not necessary with today's fuel and engine technology. The agent may want to take this opportunity to open up the engine to learn more about CNG effects at your cost.

How can it be top overhaul? Your radiator water keeps on decreasing? thats the symptom of a cylinder head leak (if not from the hoses/radiator) and exhaust has white smoke. But this problem will exist even when running CNG.

I really doubt their diagnosis. I suggest you send it for 2nd opinion.

I told them to stop it. I will send for the injector analysis which has been my hunch all the way. So far SA is very reasonable. Charged me 85.88 for repairing my LHS mirror which has not been moving for ages, fixed my ciggy port which was also not working for ages and replaced my worn antenna which now looks more presentable and pristine.

Car still smooth as butter on CNG. Took it home today. Just have to keep the CNG topped up and force start it on CNG.

Wah yours can force start on CNG....I haven't even tried if thats possible on the switch - meaning I have to force CNG before start.

Anyway I've used to driving + maintaining old cars. One 18yr + a 20+yr cars. Both head top overhauls sometime when I'm driving them and I understand whats done on a "top overhaul". Yours cannot be resolved with a Top Overhaul.

How come so many parts of your car is broken? Side mirror + cig port + worn antenna + diagnosis = S$85.88???? Cannot be lah....is it you complain until they gave you a $500 voucher and the $85.88 is after you offset your voucher??? [sly]

(edited)

6mths ownership and injector failed. Must be a lemon injector. I sort of suspect mine is the injector. The onset of the problem is slow and insidious. Like cancer. First the morning starts have weak power. Pop-pop-pop. I start on petrol before all this.

It then became to what it is today. Complete loss of power when driving, flashing CEL with 0300 code which is misfiring.

The CEL miraculously disappears after running on CNG. So mechanically nothing is wrong with the car!

Edited by Genie47
↡ Advertisement