Where to buy used piano?

Eddie47

Neutral Newbie

Dear Bros & Sis, I'm thinking of getting a used piano for my son. Anyone can suggest any shops to go to?

My budget si not very high, probably hoping to get an average one for about $2k and less.

Thanks in advance. [:)]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

At Square 2 (next to Novena Square), there's one music stuio called Prelude. Look for Rosy Chua. I've seen a couple of nice used pianos for sale.

http://www.thegreenbook.com/Tgbnewsite/Pro...IANOS&hgd=&hid=

Previously I looked for Patrick at Choo Piano Co(it can be found in the url above). to move my piano and do tuning(have to be done whenever u move the piano). I think they do recond used piano and sell them also.

If ppl ask which model you are looking at, just tell them you are looking for Exam models priced around 2k. Exam models are typical for beginners. They are shorter and smaller in size as compared to most typical pianos. It does not occupy too much space.

Edited by Watwheels

I remember there is one piano warehouse that i went to.. has all the good stuff that has been sold by previous owners when they moved house or upgraded.

i'll try to grab the address for you..

can go through his piano teacher, they usually have a lot of lobangs as students upgrade, drop out etc. and they will tell you whether it is a good one or not and what is suitable.

hmm??

Exam models are supposedly higher. ie, 121cm and above?? then is considered to be exam models. Quite a few models are like 108cm, ... those are for starters.

Me too long never touch my piano at home....it's sitting there looking pretty but with heavily oxidised pedals.

Is it at Toa Payoh? I remembered going there also. A warehouse full of pianos. But ended up buying a new one....and got my parents to pay for a pricey one. Now sigh...think of myself when I was young.....

Aiyo, sell it away lah. Can get back some money and return to your parents.

I still practise even tho I had stopped learning years ago. Anyway music scores are easy to download nowadays... [lipsrsealed]

Edited by Watwheels

can go through his piano teacher, they usually have a lot of lobangs as students upgrade, drop out etc. and they will tell you whether it is a good one or not and what is suitable.

Piano teacher will earn about $200 to $400 commission from shop.

Go hunt around yourself, most shop advertised in The Strait Times. They are at IMM, Bukit Timah, Paya Lebar, Jalan Sultan (don't go there), Bedok, Kallang etc.

But do remember, always buy Kawai or Japanese Yamaha. Latest version of Yamaha are make in Indonesia.

Neutral Newbie
Dear Bros & Sis, I'm thinking of getting a used piano for my son. Anyone can suggest any shops to go to?

My budget si not very high, probably hoping to get an average one for about $2k and less.

Thanks in advance. [:)]

You can try "Cristofori". Their showroom and warehouse is located near Singapore Expo, Simpang Bedok, at the industrial estate.

http://piano.com.sg/ver2/CristoforiPianos.html

Edited by Trex7764

It's worth very very little money to sell it now. And it's a Samick so resale is bad. But it's a upright grand. 127cm height.

I stopped last time as I was told my fingers were too short so I couldn't go to higher grade. After 8 years stopping, I realised I forgotten everything so I tried to relearn it only to find all schools wanting me to go thru Grade1 again. Btw when I was young I also skipped grade1.

Somehow later I managed to learn how to play pop music and I enjoy it very much. And I've been playing it occasionally (once a few months?). Nowadays I take out a music score and play it to interest my kids. They love it but they are too young so they are like thrashing the piano if they get their hands on it. I don't have much time to actually play the Piano (bad time management).

But I'm currently planning to start letting my daughter play the piano soon. But lessons are so expensive. Not sure if I can teach her myself.....in a way, it's a refresher for myself?

btw, do you have lobangs on where to find music scores of pop music? Last time when I searched around, most are not free to download.....

not from shop la, from her other students, or other teachers' students. but may not have everyday. TS want second hand what. it's like buying from direct owners in SGCARMART, should have some savings and good deals. and the teacher shd be able to tell if the piano is ok.

if they get from shop, i think they do earn a kickback, but may not be added to the price. anyway, most impt thing as a consumer is to compare prices. get quote from shop ask teacher if can find better deal, or get quote from teacher ask shop if can better it lor.

Is it at Toa Payoh? I remembered going there also. A warehouse full of pianos. But ended up buying a new one....and got my parents to pay for a pricey one. Now sigh...think of myself when I was young.....

Yeah, Toa Payoh...

it's quite big I think, has 2 sections, I remember that time when I went there, they have this piano made and assembled in korea and the tuners came from korea to tune it.

Most of the people quite friendly and knowledgeable (imo), gave some insights on how some generation of japan brands use china wood and assembled in malaysia..

Turbocharged
Aiyo, sell it away lah. Can get back some money and return to your parents.

I still practise even tho I had stopped learning years ago. Anyway music scores are easy to download nowadays... [lipsrsealed]

yeah..i stopped learning when i hit grade 5 about 6yrs ago..but once in a while still play some pop songs..

and i sucked at sight reading..so need alot of time to learn a new piece..

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, thanks for the kind advise.

For the bros & sis who haved pmed me, thanks for your offer, but I will need to do more homework before coming back to you as I have no knowledge of pianos at all.

Hope you understand.

Korean? Probably the brand is Samick....I find it quite good for my purpose. I paid $6k if not wrong for this upright grand (new). Any other japanese brand (Kawai or Yamaha) for this range will cost like above $10k.

It's like buying a Hyundai Tucson or Santa Fe compared to a Honda CRV or Toyota Rav4...

↡ Advertisement