Help to get rid of 3-days Fishy Smell

Meadelx200

Bought some fishes last Sat morning including a few pc of Salmon.

While cooking found the Salmon lost and tried searching the car for the fish after notising some fishy smell. Could'nt find until Monday morning when the fishy stench overcome the whole car. The pack of salmon had been reduced to almost white liquid form,

[dizzy] . Luckily the bag still intact without the liquid doozing out.

Any low cost, fast & excellent method to get rid of the Fishy smell ?

I did try to wind down all windows, open air vent and full blast on the go. Also used Dettol spray and normal charcoal.

Any other good methods ?

Thanks !

↡ Advertisement

U can try Fabreeze odour remover. Also Lysol or similar spray products.

I had it b4 in my boot as some fishy water spilled.

Had to use a wet cloth to clean the stain. Then sun dried for a few days but smell still there.

Finally I kept a can on Lysol & spray e area every time I get into the car. Smell gone in a couple of days.

The best is if u can sun air the car with boot open facing hot sun. [thumbsup]

Edited by Pisces69

Buy durian to mask the smell of the fishes.... [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Joking lah...but I second the method of sun tanning the car. Best place is East Coast Park Car Park F....park there....buy lunch....sit in the bus stop eat your packet lunch while your car bakes in the sun.

To aid it, spray a can full of Dettol, Lysol etc would help....btw...REMEMBER TO OPEN THE VENTS ON YOUR AIRCON !!

u must hv seen at the rear windsreen of taxi,

always wit a big bundle of leafess plant-look alike,

seems we use them to cook red/green beans........ [idea]

i dont know how to name it [sweatdrop]

it helps, oso as mentioned by other forumeers,

dont circulate air within cabin,

switch to "airflow" when using "lengkee"=aircon

hope it helps, n pleasant journey, Happy motoring..... [sunny]

Its called pandan leaves... [;)]

The smell is good when you put a bunch in your car, esp when the sun heats...

but when the leaves became 'crispy'... that's where the troublesome part. [sweatdrop]

While cooking found the Salmon lost and tried searching the car for the fish after notising some fishy smell. Could'nt find until Monday morning when the fishy stench overcome the whole car. The pack of salmon had been reduced to almost white liquid form,

I did try to wind down all windows, open air vent and full blast on the go. Also used Dettol spray and normal charcoal.

Any other good methods ?

Thanks !

Go any supermarket, get a whole bag of charcoal. Open up the charcoal and put it in the car. It'll probably take - maybe 1 - 3 days, then discard of the charcoal. Or use it for BBQ session.

Neutral Newbie

Try using used coffee powder .... those from the "socks" in coffee shop hor, not 3-in-1. [;)]

usually i'll spread the moist coffee powder over the affected area and vacuum off when it dries. But for your case, since the salmon juice is contained, maybe just put the coffee powder in a tray and leave in the car for a few days.

Edited by Fondue

As mentioned, Charcoal works. Not self starting charcoal, just plain normal charcoal. Choose a number of smaller pieces and store it in a bottle of something like that. Maximize the surface area so that it'll absorb faster. Within a few days, the odour should reduce substantially.

This works for cupboards, rooms, etc at home as well. I use Gu-ni-kong for this purpose.

PS - You need to clean the mats, etc as well, naturally.

Neutral Newbie

Remember to open all the windows and if hatchback, open the tail gate and sun the car on a hot sunny day. It will help besides all the above suggestions. Best to wash the affected area.

Yes, I had the open bag of my 3/4 leftover bbq charcoal in my car boot for the last few days. Had sprayed the Dettol Deodouriser almost daily and clean up the car several times. The 'fishy' smell has almost gone except now it seem the Dettol smell still linger. Luckily the 'fishy water' did not come into contact with my car mat.

Thanks [sunny]

Any other good methods ?

Thanks !

Go any supermarket, get a whole bag of charcoal. Open up the charcoal and put it in the car. It'll probably take - maybe 1 - 3 days, then discard of the charcoal. Or use it for BBQ session.

plus one [thumbsup][thumbsup]

if BBQ, maybe the fishy smell will be infused into the food [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed][laugh]

buy charcoal jelly from Daiso IMM.

maybe u can open up 5 small bottles, place them at each corner of the car and put one on the dash board.

park ur car under the hot sun for at least 2 hours.

2 hours later, u will find alot of smell gone

↡ Advertisement