What Chemical to use?

Booboon

Finally have some time as I start clearing my annual leave. Time to polish up my car and my old man car.

Cars:

Need to detail 2 toyota cars. Old man's ride is 3 yrs old Grey while mine is 1 yr old Green. Old man's ride have a condition of 7/10. Some swirl mark but very bad water etch mark. My ride has minor swirls and mild water etch.

What I have:

A few 5.5 LC pads(Orange CCS, Green CCS, White CCS, Gray CCS)

6.5" W8006.

I have some 105, SRP Soft99 Carbuana wax and M26.

Can recommend me some chemical to remove those paint defects (mainly water marks and swirls)

I was thinking of M83 follow by M80.

Thanks alot.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Busy with other commitment huh? With so many products your car still have water etch...after you resolve the problems, must wax 2-3 layers man.

For your car, M83 + W8006 is a good starting point, for your car.

Since you have 105, use that on a small area with your hand and cloth, see the outcome? More than likely, your old man's car need a cutting pad/wool pad with 105 to start with, then #83, then #80. Meg only recommends 2009 version of 105 on DA. But I used 105 + W7006 + Flex 3401 with good outcome.

Edited by Davc

I m also a little puzzle how come my ride got water etch. Without fail, I wax weekly. I also did a polish and seal my ride when its 1 month old.

It is DG105, not meg. Sori if I confuse u.

Meg 105 has too much cut, skill wise, I am not ready for it as of now.

Neutral Newbie

Ya the Meg #105.....I can remove some bad scratches with just hand and towel.....Do a few times with wool pad the clear coat finish already [:p]

Never tried DG105, but know some people who obtained good results with it and a pro told me very glossy (can't say who, he is carrying another brand [laugh] )

If many layers of wax you need to wash them all down to see the surface properly. Dawn Dishwasher? Or something like P21S Total Auto Wash, or any degreaser safe for the car body. Extremist even use turpentine, but they don't want to tell how he ensure the safety of the paint.

If you wax many layers once you go 1-2 rounds of #83 DACP for sure, you'll see the colour of your car when it was new. My friend wax his black city every week also, then after we used DACP on this car, he said those dark blue sparkle in the black paint came back again. See, that's too much wax sandwiching layers of oxidation and contaminants.

If the water etch cannot be removed after 2-3 rounds of DACP (likely on top 3 panels especially the bonnet), then you really have to use a wool pad with stronger compound. But don't do it often [dead] Maybe then the pros with paint thickness gauge can discuss with you how to tackle.

Edited by Davc

Neutral Newbie

Fresh paint means just painted, see that they made the matt finish by sanding the car? Then they use wool pad to remove sanding mark. When used properly, wool pad removes sanding mark, not making matt finish. They did all these to remove orange peel and also other defects. Fresh paint they know they will sand it down, hence clear coat are thicker when spraying or 2-3 layers. So for factory paint, we cannot anyhow cut like them, must becareful (but still can do) because clear coat are thinner. But matt or not is not relevant. Also must tape the edges...

Edited by Davc

which wax were you using with regards to the weekly waxing?

I only had such experience (water mark etching) previously using sealants (I have a black car so it's so easy to spot them). Your info can help other bros on here with regards to which wax to avoid.

from my experience, even 2 passes of menz SIP on orange cannot fully remove severe water marks on medium hard paint... It really depends on how deep the etched marks are and how soft your paint is.. have to trial and test on the spot for the right combi. But first of all, if it's very mild, just try an AIO with a white pad and see if that removes them.

Yellow pad generates too much heat for my liking and marrs the paint too much... if you're going to use something with more cut than SIP, e.g. 105 or powergloss, I would try orange first and then move up to purple foamed wool (PFW) if that doesn't work..

good luck.

Edited by Four4s

i started w turtle wax. got it from petrol kiosk. green colour tub.

then i move on to soft99.

now i m using meg26.

i m not exactly sure when the water mark came abt. it could have come along b4 i get my ride. i really dont know.

any more suggestions? pls keep it coming.

I guess removing water marks is not a simple process. Ask those pros who really has experience in polisher to advice you. Sometimes things are easier to be say than done.

Finally have some time as I start clearing my annual leave. Time to polish up my car and my old man car.

Cars:

Need to detail 2 toyota cars. Old man's ride is 3 yrs old Grey while mine is 1 yr old Green. Old man's ride have a condition of 7/10. Some swirl mark but very bad water etch mark. My ride has minor swirls and mild water etch.

What I have:

A few 5.5 LC pads(Orange CCS, Green CCS, White CCS, Gray CCS)

6.5" W8006.

I have some 105, SRP Soft99 Carbuana wax and M26.

Can recommend me some chemical to remove those paint defects (mainly water marks and swirls)

I was thinking of M83 follow by M80.

Thanks alot.

Morning bro BB...since you have the current stuff...My suggestion is to try b4 investing on some other products again...Try to work with M83 with a orange or green pads...increase speed gradually...try to break down those polishes as much as you can...Like what Bro four4s has mention..it depends on the type of paint and how long those water marks have been there...if it still cant solve or minimise with yr da and meg 83 or 80.. Is either u get a wool pad and a rotary to work wif you may have to bear with it.. Usually there wont be 100% for water mark removal..

For swirl marks...Not a issue at all...

Over in our climate..we have no choice..Be it a wax,sealer or pps..We bound to have water marks etch into car paint work..By having a coat of wax or sealer...We are just hoping they helps to slow down those water mark etching...Partly we encounter acid rain and high humdity in our climate and most or infact all sealer and wax are akaline..So by having acid and alkaline..They neutralize..Well i could be wrong..Just so happen I get to learn from DG chemist themselve when I was at their plant..

if u need to have a rotary to try...just let me know...Is alway available in the weekdays...

↡ Advertisement